Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:24 AM
strmnd54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys.

Here's an update of my winter project before the big summer pause...

First, I'm not an experienced modelist; and I never really took the time to detail any of my tanks as much as this one.

What I'm doing with my Panzer IV is nothing to compare with the detailing that Phillipat is doing with his...

However, the little that I did made me realise how addictive detailing could be; and there's always the next tank ...

For a start; I kept the plastic hatches and the moulded tools.

I did repaint the tools and tried to make the latches more realistic.

I also did some basic corrections to the H.L. chassis and upper hull like: Rising the sprockets, lowering the back return rollers and giving a slope to the rear deck...

So, at this point in time; I have a fully functional turret-less Panzer IV ( kind of like the headless horseman)

Here's some pictures and a short video:

https://youtu.be/YbgD_1WAmCM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	761.4 KB
ID:	2101842   Click image for larger version

Name:	2a.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	708.4 KB
ID:	2101843   Click image for larger version

Name:	3a.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	967.6 KB
ID:	2101844   Click image for larger version

Name:	4a.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	776.9 KB
ID:	2101845   Click image for larger version

Name:	5a.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	895.2 KB
ID:	2101846  
Old 06-10-2015, 07:19 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good. I like the working convoy and tail lights.

Revisiting the gearboxes: do you bolt them in running the bolts from the bottom up (essentially from outside the hull)? Or are you able to screw them down from the inside?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:45 PM
strmnd54

I was able to use the original mounting posts (reinforced with brass bushings) for the gear boxes...
I used a nut to rise only the front sprockets of the gearboxes to clear the upper hull...
There are pictures on the previous page...
Old 06-11-2015, 12:44 AM
CaptainB

How did you raise the sprockets without the tracks rubbing on the underside of the hull? When I looked at mine for this mod, it seemed like the upper hull would not fit without rubbing on the tracks, with the sprockets raised by 4mm. They do look close on the underside there.......Tank looks great..............

cheers

CaptB
Old 06-11-2015, 07:47 PM
strmnd54

The top of the sprockets, once risen; ends of at the same level than the top of the first return rollers...So the tracks won't rub on the underside of the hull; but you will have to change the slope of the front fenders for clearance.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:01 AM
CaptainB

Okay thanks - I've found that a lot with these Heng Long projects - you solve one problem and it creates another with further mods needed. Correcting the Panther G glacis plate was the same - had to also raise the gearboxes up to clear the new angle plate, which the gearbox now interferes with. had to grind off bits from the front of the gearbox and the top so that the hull would fit properly. Got their in the end but looking back, not worth doing but great if you enjoy that sort of thing.Not sure If I will bother with mine as it runs really nice and I can live with it.

Cheers

CaptB