Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Don't I feel stupid

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 04:20 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Don't I feel stupid

All this time I thought that this

was supposed to represent a coil of rope. Hey, it's just molded black plastic (that color is wrong any way you go, should be silver or steel).

That's why I made this

and I was seriously patting myself on the back for how nice it came out. Turns out I was wrong, it's not rope, it's cable. Hard to see in this photo, but it's supposed to look like this

and it's the track cable.

DOH!!

So now I have a new project, coming up with a decent representation of the track cable. Also, does anyone know if the fire extinguisher in the museum photo is correct? And has anyone come up with a decent method for taking the copper Tiger tow cables and making them shorter? Maybe cut it, drill out the end of the shackle (or whatever it's supposed to be called) and epoxy the cable back in place? Maybe tape the cable before cutting to prevent fraying? Maybe some CA on the end of the cable to keep things in place as it's inserted into the freshly cleaned out shackle? Those are the next two things I want to do to the Jagdpanther, correct the track cable and shorten some tow ropes for it, so if anyone can provide tips or advice as to how to go about those two things, he (or she) will be my hero for at least 20 minutes.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:24 AM
Max-U52

And what's that thing up on the commander's cupola in the museum photo? Is that some new kind of Tamiya Apple?
Old 04-28-2015, 04:25 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Now I know what you meant by saying "most people just think you're a really bad painter".

It's why I have printed reference material.

"And what's that thing up on the commander's cupola in the museum photo? Is that some new kind of Tamiya Apple?"

It is the IR equipment. Again... reference, reference, REFERENCE.

Jeff

Last edited by Panther F; 04-28-2015 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:30 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

You could use jewelry type cable or fine picture frame cable for modeling the cable.

And the coupola sports the experimental IR imager for targeting at night without spotlight.

Oh and the fire extinguisher usually camoed with the tank.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:16 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

If you are wondering about our cables.... just yank off the cable end. You should be able to do it with a few good pulls. Then you can shorten/paint it a lot easier We have a few different sizes too, the tag120146 Stug III/Panzer III cables are the thinnest, then the T34, and lastly the Tiger.
They can be a pain sometimes to paint, but Gene @ Artistic Hobbies did a great job painting them on our Tiger 1 kit here: http://www.artistichobbies.com/resou...igerbuild6.php about halfway down the page. Maybe that might work?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:04 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Gary, I found these photos to give a better idea of what the cable hanger should look like and what the cable should look like. the 1st photo is of a Tamiya 1/16 Panther G and the 2nd is of a 1/6 scale Armortek Panther G. the hanger on the Armortek is in the correct position and has the details for how the track cable would be held in place while the cable is not that scale. The Tamiya cable is more scale but the hanger lacks the stowage detail for how the cable was held in place and is turned in the wrong attitude. It should be turned 90 degrees in either direction for proper placement. The Tamiya cable is actually nice thread the right scale for the cable. Not metal or plastic. That said I think if you can find ends to add to your existing rope. Just smooth the fuzz down with white glue
Aber also has a set of tow and track cables, but in the photo I have attached it does not show the cable ends for the track cable as I think it would use the ends that come in the Tamiya kit. You could possibly use 1/35 scale tow cable ends for the track cable as they are close to 1/16 scale.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Panther track cable 1-16 scale.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	2092791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Panther track Cable in 1-6 scale.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	2092792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Panther Aber 1-16 scale cables.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	2092794  
Old 04-28-2015, 06:05 AM
Max-U52

Thanks for the tips on shortening them, I'm thinking about dipping them in india ink to see if that colors them, since I know from experienc how hard they are to paint. I think the tiger cables are the right thickness, just too long.

The picture wire idea is fantastic, and that's where I'll start.

So it IS an apple.

And the extinguisher still needs work (the hose is missing on my model extinguisher, I'll scratch build that and if Rex likes it I'll know I did a good job) and thanks for the paint tip, I think I'll do it in yellow first so I can let a little of the base coat peek through, like wear and tear on the field applied camo.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:09 AM
Max-U52

Rudy, you and I were posting at the same time so I didn't see yours til I posted mine. Great photos! Very, very helpful. So HL got the orientation of the bracket wrong as well, and it should be turned 90 degrees?

I can see I have a lot to do, but these are the little projects I like best. I'll keep you guys posted and post the results when i get it right. Thanks again, Rudy, you've pretty much done all the research for me and I reeally appreciate that.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:14 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Tetra extinguishers are dimensionally pretty correct, even though the detail is pretty awful on most. Aber made a PE sprue for the holder at one point and you can get Archer transfers for the labels.

As Heavy mentioned above, picture frame wire is your best bet. It's braided, pliable and comes in a whole host of sizes. Keep in mind the track cable is very thin compared to the tow cable. On early/mid Tigers, it was stored hanging the length on the hull on the L/S if you're looking for ref pics or comparison on an accurate model. My guess would be around a quarter the size of a Tow cable, but much longer.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:02 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

No its not an Apple is the first night vision system ever made for tanks made back at the end of WW 2 by the Germans . http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=859 .

Thanks
Jimmy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	NIGHT VISION GERMAN.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	2092799  
Old 04-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Max-U52

I posted this in another thread but I thought I'd put it here, too, just for kicks. This is the Panther that was specifically designed for the invasion of Australia. We all know that it's against the law to have a car with left hand drive in Australia and Hitler was really big on obeying all the laws so he had his guys make these special Panther tanks for when they invade down under.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:41 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by bowlman
No its not an Apple is the first night vision system ever made for tanks made back at the end of WW 2 by the Germans . http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=859 .

Thanks
Jimmy

I was only kidding about the apple, but that's a cool link you posted. It was all new info for me and I found it very interesting. Now I may try to scratchbuild a night vision system for my Panther G, just to see if I can.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:50 PM
sergeantseabass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that the cable is braided. If that is the case the easiest thing you could use would just be some picture wire. you can pick it up in multiple diameters. The price is pretty cheap and you have plenty to use for multiple tanks.

Bill
Old 04-28-2015, 03:34 PM
bowlman

Glad you liked the info here is a link to were you can get the IR night vision device in 1/16th http://www.hagen-miniatures.de/index...ct/view/45/107

Jimmy
Old 04-28-2015, 03:44 PM
bowlman

I got the Infrarot-Scheinwerfer Night Vision system in 1/16th back in 2012 I was making a Panther II at that time still have not finished it yet . Here is a link to it .
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...-ii-build.html

Mine is based off of one that Karel47 was doing I liked the subject at that time still do .
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...ss-1-17-a.html

Jimmy
Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another link for the IR system if you don't want to scratch build it. http://www.asiatam.com/product_info....t-mit-led.html

Everyone already hit the different cable diameters I was going to mention.