Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Question about Impact BU Orientation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Question about Impact BU Orientation

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Question about Impact BU Orientation

I just got my Impact Battle Unit and plan to install it in a Tiger One (Imex, of course) and I'm wondering how to orient it to get Tamiya Frontal Armor. It looks to me like the flat side on the base is supposed to be parallel to the side of the tank, so turning it 45 degrees would give the desired effect, and that would put the LED flashers at front, rear, left and right. Can anyone confirm this? Or possibly show drawings or photos of how it should be positioned?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:15 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

New units come with instructions but it installs just like the Tamiya does.

Jeff
Old 07-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Max-U52

I have and read the instructions (don't have a Tamiya, don't know how they install) and they don't say anything about positioning of the unit itself. They just say it mounts in the cupola, and I assume the flat side means they can only go in one way, but I don't know what that way is. I'm hoping for a photo of an installed Impact or TBU that shows the positioning of the side with the flat. From there I could figure it out. Maybe someone has a link to installation instructions for the Tamiya and that would show a drawing of the flat side in relation to the cupola? Maybe this sketch will help. Do I mount with the LEDs in line with the barrel, or cocked 45 degrees?

Sorry 'bout the cruddy sketch
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IBU sketch.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	593.6 KB
ID:	2106788  
Old 07-01-2015, 12:55 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Here is the Tamiya Manual for the Tiger .

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/56010ml.pdf

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 07-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Tanker 10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is how I installed the TBU in my JS-2 Gary.

Sorry they appeared this way, they were straight when I uploaded them.

This is per the Tamiya instructions.

Click the photo's they should straighten out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2125.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2106796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2126.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	964.4 KB
ID:	2106797  
Old 07-01-2015, 01:16 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your looking to do the TFA mod you want the angle in the prism mirror facing forwards. Stock tamiya apple would have the flat side of the mirror facing forwards. Most of us at Danville have the apple installed
stock then go into the apple and mod the tabs on the mirror prism so you can go back and forth between TFA and stock by rotating the mirror 45 degrees.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Tanker 10

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
If your looking to do the TFA mod you want the angle in the prism mirror facing forwards. Stock tamiya apple would have the flat side of the mirror facing forwards. Most of us at Danville have the apple installed
stock then go into the apple and mod the tabs on the mirror prism so you can go back and forth between TFA and stock by rotating the mirror 45 degrees.
Are there photo's or a video of this mod.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:24 PM
TheBennyB

Start watching around 1:36.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRxbLmF56Gs
Old 07-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Tanker 10

Thank you BennyB.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:56 PM
bowlman

Ok sorry the Tiger manual did not show the TBU base install so here is the Panther its same direction .
http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/56022ml.pdf

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 07-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Max-U52

Thanks Jimmy, but that doesn't show installation of the TBU. But, while you're here, I really hope you'll show up at my place on the 11th. Jackson isn't that far and if you come in 94 to 14 to 96 it's freeway for all but the last three miles.

Thanks to you, too, Bret, I've seen that video and it's a great idea but I don't want to open my apple so I was gonna mount it at 45 degrees to start and then if I ever needed to I could do the mod to go back to stock (why I would want to, I have no idea). But, I think I saw what I needed to see, and that's in the stock position the LEDs are pointing to the 4 corners of the tank (with the turret pointed straight forward). So, If I install the base so the LEDs are pointing to the front/rear and the two sides at 90 degrees I should be OK.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by bowlman
Ok sorry the Tiger manual did not show the TBU base install so here is the Panther its same direction .
http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/56022ml.pdf

Thanks
Jimmy
Thanks again, Jimmy, we must have been typing at the same time. The Panther data confirms what I thought, if I turn the base 45 degrees the LEDs will be in line front to back instead of pointing at the corners so I'll put it in that way. Since this is going in an Imex I don't have the stock mounting locations so I'll obviously have to figure it out. I was thinking about putting it in the loaders hatch, mainly to prevent interference from the hatch on the cupola.

I'll also be putting in the new slip ring kit, and with the IBU2 I can use the two wires from the trigger switch for the wires going to the LEDs in the apple.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:33 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Thanks Jimmy, but that doesn't show installation of the TBU. But, while you're here, I really hope you'll show up at my place on the 11th. Jackson isn't that far and if you come in 94 to 14 to 96 it's freeway for all but the last three miles.

Thanks to you, too, Bret, I've seen that video and it's a great idea but I don't want to open my apple so I was gonna mount it at 45 degrees to start and then if I ever needed to I could do the mod to go back to stock (why I would want to, I have no idea). But, I think I saw what I needed to see, and that's in the stock position the LEDs are pointing to the 4 corners of the tank (with the turret pointed straight forward). So, If I install the base so the LEDs are pointing to the front/rear and the two sides at 90 degrees I should be OK.
Yup, don't write off stock postion though. I enjoy battling with both configurations and it is of course personal preferrence, but if I had to choose I'd stick to stock configuration.
We run stock configuration (with exception given to fixed turreted vehicles can run TFA) at our ACE events at Danville for the Rolling Thunder campaigns.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:43 PM
bowlman

I use stock position then just turn mirror for 45 degree defense .

Sorry can't make the meet I got to work boss is on vacation that weekend so i'm locked into working .

Jimmy
Old 07-02-2015, 02:43 AM
Max-U52

Jimmy, you're not the first guy that got stuck working that day. Maybe for the next event I'll schedule it for a Sunday. What worries me is that I'm gonna put all this effort into it and then only two guys will show up!

On the other hand, if you work til noon and come straight here you'd only miss the first hour. What time do you get off on Saturday?

Bret, about the only place I have for regular battles is DTC and they're all on TFA. I'd like to make it to Danville one day, and if I do I know a lot of events there use TFA, and if not I can always borrow or rent a tank that's still stock, or maybe it will just be a good excuse to set up another IR tank. I've been toying with the idea of an IR Abrams, and with the right gearboxes and motors I can get scale speed which would be a big advantage during a battle. Does your club allow modern tanks to fight with WWII tanks, or do you have separate battles for the two time periods? I like the idea of having a very fast tank for battling but I don't want to have an unfair advantage, so maybe I'll have to do a Hellcat. That's what I call having a fair advantage.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:09 AM
TheBennyB

All time periods are allowed at all Danville events. Only the HEAT sponsored events are completely TFA at Danville, all the others are stock with fixed turreted tanks TFA. Speed is good if your an efficient operator, it can also lead you to constantly running into and getting your barrel stuck into things. I've seen plenty of Leo2's, t-34's, and other quick tanks drive themselves right out of a battle by dumb thumbing.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:31 AM
TheBennyB

What worries me is that I'm gonna put all this effort into it and then only two guys will show up!

Gary, that's always the gamble when you hold an event at your private residence. Whenever I have "fun runs" at my place I have to remember I'm doing this for myself as well as anyone that may attend.
I usually get the "day off" from parenting the little ones so I get time to mess around with my toys and hanging out with fellow r/c enthusiasts is an added bonus. To help myself out I try not to do
to much with regards to food. I usaully order out for lunch (subs, chips, etc) to feed the guys then have something simple like a lasagna or some ribs on the smoker for dinner. Anything you can prep the night
before is a bonus. This way I'm not away from playing or my guests for too long. Hope you have a good turn out and the weather cooperates for ya.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:24 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Many of the Danville veterans run stock Tamiya tanks that are built and set up correctly, with an emphasis on reliability and robustness, instead of worrying about stuff like maximizing IR range, or speed attributes. An out of control tank not only places your own property at risk but you also risk ramming someone else's pride and joy. Tactical manuevering, teamwork, and situational awareness can determine a battle's outcome more than just the equipment that is being run. Its more important to make sure that your tank doesn't throw a track when its on an off-camber slope, that your wires don't jam your turret rotation, than to think about how quickly your tank can cover a set distance.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by cleong
Many of the Danville veterans run stock Tamiya tanks that are built and set up correctly, with an emphasis on reliability and robustness, instead of worrying about stuff like maximizing IR range, or speed attributes. An out of control tank not only places your own property at risk but you also risk ramming someone else's pride and joy. Tactical manuevering, teamwork, and situational awareness can determine a battle's outcome more than just the equipment that is being run. Its more important to make sure that your tank doesn't throw a track when its on an off-camber slope, that your wires don't jam your turret rotation, than to think about how quickly your tank can cover a set distance.
I found this to be rather patronizing and condescending. The more I hear stuff like this, the less attractive a trip to Danville becomes. I really don't think I'd have much fun there.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:25 PM
TheBennyB

Wouldn't take it that way Gary. I believe Leong is just saying tactics and team work matter just as much as the sole performance of a single tank or operator, also preventive maintenence is a must to keep
you on the battlefield all weekend and not wrenching all weekend.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:29 PM
bowlman

I work 8AM to 6PM 10 hour day on Sat .

Jimmy

Last edited by bowlman; 07-02-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:28 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Max-U52
I found this to be rather patronizing and condescending. The more I hear stuff like this, the less attractive a trip to Danville becomes. I really don't think I'd have much fun there.
I apologize; I did not mean to convey anything other than sharing the experience I had in the recent past during my first visit, because I thought (and did) some of the things you thought about.

The tank I first brought was pre-modified with what I felt was the necessary upgrades (upgraded gearboxes and metal tracks, and IR emitter), but I spent half the first weekend wrenching it back to stock configuration (plastic tracks and gearboxes) because that setup simply did not work well. The extra durability that the metal tracks provided was not necessary, the weight meant it would not climb hills on its last couple of shots, and my IR was hitting nearby team mates. As it turned out, I never broke the stock plastic tracks, and they allowed the tank mobility without stressing the stock gearboxes, which lasted the entire two years I was there. I even tried Speed 400 motors, but it never felt quite right either.

Guys like Jersey Bob, Dana, Dave, that run pretty stock tanks with great results, I took their advice, had a look around at the other Panthers to see what worked, and followed that. Sure, you'd occasionally see setups like Willy's modified Modellspeigels in a few tanks, but even those are pretty conservative when it comes to performance, because that's what works reliably and battles well in this unique battlefield.

I could say more, but make that first trip, and see it for yourself.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Max-U52

I thought long and hard about how (and if) I should answer this. Leong, I have read a lot of your posts and have always found you to be an intelligent and creative individual, possessed of a large amount of wisdom. I do not believe you would ever intentionally insult or offend me. However, I have definitely noticed that there is a certain attitude among Tamiya owners that reminds me of the way Harley riders look down on Japanese motorcycles. Over the last three years I have become very efficient at driving my tanks, and "out of control" is not a term I believe anyone could accurately apply to my driving. When it comes to a battle tank that I may one day take to Danville, I think about ALL aspects, from speed to IR efficiency to reliability to snagged wiring. I want my equipment to be the very best I can make it, and that's why I bring most of my ideas here, so I can judge if I'm on the right track. For example, I now know, thanks in part to your personal experiences, Leong, that my IR tube will be painted flat black on the inside.

I don't think any of the guys here intentionally look down on non-Tamiya tanks, but the prejudice creeps in and it's not something I deal with very well. I admit I am very intolerant of being talked down to, even if that is not the speaker's intent, and for that reason I may not get along well with the all guys at Danville. I've already spoken to a few on the phone and had dealings with a few here on the forum that I'd really rather not meet in person. On the other hand, there are also many very talented men that I would get along well with and I've already learned a great deal about this hobby from those guys, so I guess in the end they may be the ones that make a trip down there worthwhile for me.