Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

How do I get this thing to turn?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

How do I get this thing to turn?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Lotuswins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get this thing to turn?

Hello all,

I have a new Taigen Panther F, kit build, and the gearbox, wheels, idler, all ball bearings......so it being so smooth in a straight line, it will drive the tank almost straight when I try to turn at speed. Any thoughts on how to induce friction/brakes on the inside track during a turn? I've a IBU2U controller in it, and wondered if putting a bit of super spin on would help. Any ideas most welcome, thanks in advance.

Jerry Rude
Old 07-20-2017, 10:42 AM
phordman

super spin helps when the tank is not moving, with it off you cant turn with out moving forward or backwards. With it on you can set still and just spin circles.

does your tank spin when its not moving?

I have a IBU2u awell and it seems as if all of the inputs are delayed, and turing at speed is difficult. Im not sure if Im going to ship this back with my RX/tx combo for diag or just cut my losses (payed for 3 boards have gone through several and got 1 ultimate as a replacemt as there are no more pro base available) I currently have 2 working ibu2 pro base and the 1 not sure if its working but tankbear doesn't think its correct. - I have video I can send to anyone interested via txt or email.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Lotuswins

Hi Phordman,

Nope, doesn't spin when stopped.....its turned off. So you have turning at speed issues too with the ultimate? I'll have to try my old taigen board, or an rx18 to see if it helps.....

thx, jerry
Old 07-20-2017, 01:47 PM
LukeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might no have anything to do with the electronics, rather it may be a well-known issue with the Taigen v2 gearboxes when used on heavier tanks. The gearboxes do not have enough internal drag to slow down the inner track, the outer track just plows ahead and drags the inner track with it. You are telling it to turn, but it keeps right on driving straight.

Super spin will work because the "inner" track is being actively driven in the opposite direction. But that is only useful when you are stopped, and makes no difference to turning while driving.

If you have ever handled a Heng Long or "cheaper" gearbox, you will find it almost impossible to turn the drive shaft by hand, the gearing and internal friction is too high. With the new Taigen gearboxes you can spin the output shaft with ease just with finger pressure. New and improved! Ball bearings! No friction! That's great, but model tanks rely on friction for turning. So actually it's not great.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:06 PM
phordman

I have a HL Sherman and stug3, albeit they both still have all the plastic running gear, they don't require much effort to spin.

what he is describing I believe is the inertia built into the new ultimate board, which makes the tank impossible to battle with.

my cell is if any one wants to see what mine is doing, shoot me a txt and Ill send a vid

Last edited by phordman; 08-08-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeZ
It might no have anything to do with the electronics, rather it may be a well-known issue with the Taigen v2 gearboxes when used on heavier tanks. The gearboxes do not have enough internal drag to slow down the inner track, the outer track just plows ahead and drags the inner track with it. You are telling it to turn, but it keeps right on driving straight.

Super spin will work because the "inner" track is being actively driven in the opposite direction. But that is only useful when you are stopped, and makes no difference to turning while driving.

If you have ever handled a Heng Long or "cheaper" gearbox, you will find it almost impossible to turn the drive shaft by hand, the gearing and internal friction is too high. With the new Taigen gearboxes you can spin the output shaft with ease just with finger pressure. New and improved! Ball bearings! No friction! That's great, but model tanks rely on friction for turning. So actually it's not great.
I have Taigen V2's in all of my tanks, and I have not experienced that.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:00 PM
LukeZ

The effect is most pronounced on larger, heavy tanks where the outside tread has enough grip with the ground to overcome the reluctance of the free-wheeling inner track. My Jagdtiger with v2 gearboxes and metal wheels/tracks is impossible to drive in anything but a straight line. You can shut off all current to the inner track but that doesn't make it turn, the outer track all by itself is enough to drive the tank forward.

The OP describes what sounds like a metal Panther, which is probably heavy enough to suffer this condition. Still could be something else - but just something to check.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Lotuswins

Hi LukeZ,

Yes, exactly as you say, its a full metal tank, wide tracks, very smooth running in a straight line, almost no gear noise...until you try to turn, then you can hear the gears....but doesn't turn well at speed, I have to stop so static friction takes hold on the inner track and it will turn. I tried the IBU2U on my T55A and it turned fine. So....I see your new board has a fix for this issue, but I'm still working on getting one, and all the bits to get it going. Quite a journey!! well done.

jerry
Old 07-20-2017, 04:36 PM
Rustytrax

Its the IBU2. Enable superspin but to do the spin the stick must go 3 oclock or 9 any up stick will be porportional steeing.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Do you guys have the 3:1 or 4:1 gearboxes?
Old 07-21-2017, 03:42 AM
Despotes

I have a similar problem with my metal chassis Taigen Jagdpanther and TK60 board except superspin works, but it won't turn when moving straight ahead. It simply stops. The stock Taigen board does not have this problem. I have 3:1 gearbox.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:58 AM
Lotuswins

The Panther F in question has 4:1 gears (OAR = 90:1), steel. Another anomaly that is related, I can't seem to get the track recoil to work without the tank coasting backwards, which requires me to move forward for the next shot. I guess Erik has done well in getting these tanks to be low friction...now catching up to realistic performance is the new challenge? 8^)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:39 AM
LukeZ

My Jagdtiger has the V2 4:1 gears as well. But another user on the forum had the same issue with the 3:1 gearbox on a heavy Jagdpanther so I don't think it's limited to the 4:1 - I think ironically it's the addition of all the ball bearings and lowered friction that in theory sound great (and would be great in some other kind of vehicle), but in practice works against the principles a model tank needs to turn.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Roboticus_Prime

So, from what I'm reading here the common factors are V2 gearboxes and aftermarket MFU's with inertia simulation and super spin disabled.

I think a test with disabling one or both of those settings would be a good place to start testing, since those of us with heavy tanks on stock boards do not see this issue.

Can you upload a video showcasing problem?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:30 AM
LukeZ

What I'm talking about has nothing to do with the MFU, inertia, or super-spin. All MFUs operate the same way. They provide electricity to the motors. They cut electricity to the inner motor to create a turn. Inertia has nothing to do with turning. Super spin by definition only occurs when the tank is stationary. What we're talking about is the inability to turn while driving.

Here's a simple test: unplug one motor. Drive your tank. Does it drive straight ahead on the remaining motor? Then you have the issue I've described. If not you have a different issue and your gearboxes are fine. There could be any number of issues and some could indeed be related to aftermarket boards. I'm only describing a single possibility.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by LukeZ
What I'm talking about has nothing to do with the MFU, inertia, or super-spin. All MFUs operate the same way. They provide electricity to the motors. They cut electricity to the inner motor to create a turn. Inertia has nothing to do with turning. Super spin by definition only occurs when the tank is stationary. What we're talking about is the inability to turn while driving.

Here's a simple test: unplug one motor. Drive your tank. Does it drive straight ahead on the remaining motor? Then you have the issue I've described. If not you have a different issue and your gearboxes are fine. There could be any number of issues and some could indeed be related to aftermarket boards. I'm only describing a single possibility.

Hey man, I'm not denying there is an issue, just trying to eliminate possibilities. I work in IT, and my entire job is asking questions to narrow down a cause for problems. That's why I asked if a video could be put up showcasing the problem, since I can't replicate it with my equipment.

Speaking from my experience with the V2's and my metal tanks. I have a modified Pershing with all the metal I could find for it, plus a custom built metal hull brace. It is very heavy, and it has never had trouble turning. I also have the Taigen metal Sherman with V2's, and the only time I had trouble turning is when the set screw came loose on one of the final driveshafts. Have you checked to see if the gear on the driveshaft is slipping?

I've got videos of some rough driving in my tanks here: https://www.youtube.com/user/roboticus3
I'll try and get a new one up for my Sherman tonight.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:55 AM
Lotuswins

It may have to do with the configuration of the tracks also. The Panther chassis is longer (more surface area), narrower (shorter moment arm), wider tracks (again, more surface area) and the tracks have chevrons(?) on their faces for better traction. So its harder to turn than a sherman or Pershing I would guess. None of my other tanks (T1, StugIII,Sherman, T55A, KV1, PIV) have issues with turning...but neither do they have the new boxes and ball bearing wheels. Nor do they have the new IBU2U......hmmm....gotta try the old taigen board in it....jerry
Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you contacted IBU about this yet? Usually they are very good at solving issues like this. If it was a Clark I would tell you to check your driving modes but I'm pretty sure the IBU2 doesn't have driving modes like the Clark or Open Panzer boards. I've always thought (my opinion here) that the IBU had superior mobility while the Clark seemed to have better options for battles and turrets. I'm sure this is wrong now with the IBU3 and TK60 boards, but I didn't have this much issue with mine.
Oh and I do kind of see what you mean Luke on the bearings and turns. Comparing a plastic edition tank versus my Leopard 2 I can see a small difference in turning, but it doesn't seem to be very drastic on the Taigen setup. The new electronics was much better at this especially at low speeds but at top speed turns are not too tight as like you said the resistance is getting less and less with the bearings and better manufacturing processes. It is time to consider adding braking to the stock setup I guess
Old 07-21-2017, 05:38 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Had to charge a battery, but here's the Sherman doing turns on pavement, grass, and a hill.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:44 PM
Lotuswins

I compared both my T1 and the Panther, same gearboxes, nearly same tracks (width, contact area) T1 has IBU2base, Panther IBU2Ubase......

T1 at full speed, pivoted nicely on inner track making turn in 1 tank length or less.
Panther at full speed did not pivot but took nearly 5 tank lengths to turn. This was on carpet, level surface.

I tried to upload videos from my Ipad, but got a security token violation of some sort.
Still haven't rec'd the Open Panzer tcb.....perhaps it will go into the Panther and the IBU2U into the T55A since I don't like the clark TK22 that is in there. Hopefully that will fix the delay on cannon fire, the recoil, and of course the turning on the panther.

Sent a PM to Ian on helping out, he's on holiday until the 31st (seems like he's always on holiday - must pay to be the IBU distributor...8^) just kidding.....

Jerry
Old 07-23-2017, 04:27 PM
LukeZ

I should point out, the TCB itself can't compensate for what you're seeing, the freewheeling gearbox compensation feature is only possible with our Scout speed control, which however is not available and doesn't seem likely to become available any time soon (unless you were planning to assemble one yourself). So even with the TCB you are probably still looking at a gearbox change to correct this...
Old 07-23-2017, 09:19 PM
Lotuswins

Thanks LukeZ, yes, I plan on assembling the Scout....you were clear in the documentation that it is necessary for the imposed drag on turning. Thanks for your concern. Jerry