Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

control functions on TX

Old 12-03-2017, 02:52 PM
da Rock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default control functions on TX

Is there a universally used pattern for setting up your TX controls and switches?

I've only had a TX in my hands once for a very short while and definitely didn't take note of switches etc.

tia
Old 12-04-2017, 06:04 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Switch settings and their functions on modern transmitters are fully assignable (generally) and can be used for any purpose within limits. Since switches are assignable, that means you can set a specific switch to do a specific function. How you want a switch to function may not be the same as someone else -- hence assignable. What the switches do depends on what you are controlling -- such as an airplane, car, boat, quad, heli, etc. Basic things to consider are servo travel, servo reversing, exponential, high/low rates, channel assignments, and special functions like flaps, landing gear up/down, bomb drops. The term programmable means the transmitter has varying degrees of programmability. An entry level radio may have some required basic functions but may not be programmable. So the long answer to a short question is no -- there is no specific pattern for the switches. Each transmitter manufacturer does their own thing. Even trainer switches can be located on the right or left side of the transmitter.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:59 PM
da Rock

Do tankers nowadays recognize a usual pattern for setting their TX controls to make it easier to drive each other's tanks?

At least for the stick functions possibly?
Old 12-05-2017, 05:23 AM
cleong

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I personally prefer to have my left stick dealing with turret traverse and gun elevation, with the right stick handling motion (front and back, right and left).

Its just more logical to me.

Tamiya on the other hand, would have you mixing it such that your left stick controls forward and backward as well as turret traverse, and right stick controls direction and gun elevation.

Fortunately, a quick switcharound of the servo plug leads that go into the receiver will have you sorted out with the configuration you like.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:52 AM
Crius

Received 148 Likes on 130 Posts

Throttle and steering on the right stick and turret rotation and gun elevation on the left stick has pretty much become the norm. Even the guys that buy Tamiya tanks usually switch them over so that throttle and steering are both on one stick.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:36 PM
da Rock

Thanks
Are there certain switches for things like firing a shot or starting the engine sound etc?
I just got a Tamiya PzIV for Christmas and haven't found anything in the instructions much beyond where to plug in some of the plugs.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Go to step 15 in your Tamiya Pz 4 Assembly Manual and do what it says precisely. Note, first setup the tank electronics outside your tank as illustrated.

Receiver setup tips below for transmitter stick functions per "Willy".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	_Stick-Mode v2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	2249771  

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 01-02-2018 at 09:31 PM.