Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Need Help With Tank Drive Controllers

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need Help With Tank Drive Controllers

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:18 AM
Lasrig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Tank Drive Controllers

I’m doing a custom tank build and I was wondering how to make the controllers. The build would be wired for simplicity sake, and I was wanting to have a variable speed controllers for each tread as well as forwards/ backwards. Do any of you know any switches I could wire in that would be forward/ off/ backwards with speed variation?
Old 01-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Have you thought about a sabertooth motor controller? They come in different sizes for higher amperage applications, they plug right into your receiver and allow you to drive any two track vehicle
Old 01-16-2018, 10:12 AM
gp100

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Crius said, the Sabertooth comes in different sizes.. Me and a friend used a 25amp one on a robot build we were doing.. Seemed to be built pretty stout. No trouble with it.. You of course, will need a smaller version obviously.. But the Sabertooth is built very well..
Old 01-16-2018, 10:59 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm not sure how much help we can provide since speed controllers come in all shapes and flavors without more information. Choosing one depends on motor size, motor type (brushed or brushless), motor amp draw, and battery voltage. You just asked if a simple switch can do variable control. The definition of a switch answers that question. Switches are on and off - not variable. Choosing your motors and transmission type will depend on how fast your tank will be and how much it will weigh. That determination needs to come before you choose and ESC. There are some DIY solutions at Speed Controls - 4 Jan 2003, but speed controllers are so cheap now that you could probably find a decent set (one for each track) or a dual speed controller depending on the things I mentioned earlier. I recently bought one of these for a 1/16 scale solution for use with my Open Panzer TCB: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-shippi...72.m2749.l2649. Haven't tested it yet, but it looks good for an in-expensive dual motor controller.

Last edited by tankme; 01-16-2018 at 11:51 AM.