Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

R/C Tank Club/Group in Detroit Area?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

R/C Tank Club/Group in Detroit Area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 03:52 AM
CodeWarrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update George. I echo Jeff's sentiments and concerns.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:16 AM
CodeWarrior

Summer has started, vaccinations are now available and things opening up a bit more in Michigan. Hopefully we've all made it through the pandemic unscathed.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there's been any more discussion about restarting a tank club in the Detroit area?
Old 06-10-2021, 10:54 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Brighton is too long a drive for me, DTC used to meet at Green Acres Park in Hazel Park and that's not so bad. If they ever meet there again I will probably attend.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:50 PM
CodeWarrior

Understood Crius. I'm curious if George and Jim have had any discussions on the subject as Jim was instrumental in putting DTC together and keeping it going.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:05 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Sadly George passed away last year, I will message Jim and bring this thread to his attention but I no idea about his intentions for the future.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:41 AM
Crius

It was Jim that started this thread.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:22 AM
CodeWarrior

Ex-Pat: I'm so sorry to hear about George. While I had limited interactions with him I had met him about 10 years in person and found him to be a great guy.

Please let us know what Jim's thoughts are.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:47 PM
sedover

Also posted under clubs.......received a message that a pm had been sent to me palehorse but could not reactivate my account so I started anew. Don't know if anyone wants to reactivate RC Armor activities here in the metro Detroit area. I'm over on the east side and willing to team up for an attempt to get the ball rolling if there is interest.

Steve
Old 09-28-2021, 11:43 AM
Elwarpo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I left the Detroit area in 2019 and there was little RC tank activity. I was one of the 4 Mikes. Another Mike has also passed. George (who I just learned has passed and am sad) was instrumental in using the school gym for winter practices.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:24 AM
Crius

I attended the last DTC events at Green Acres Park, but by the end there was only myself and three other guys showing up. If you guys put something together I'd be willing to participate, I might even be willing to build a battle-ready tank. Bwahahaha
Old 10-30-2021, 01:03 PM
sedover

Thought I would sit on the sidelines to see who posted......well I guess we know the level of support that exists.

Crius and Elwarpo thanks for posting

Old 01-05-2022, 09:56 AM
CodeWarrior

sedover-

I think there is some interest in getting some tankers together to battle in the Detroit area. I believe one issue, other than possibly having sufficient people with tanks, is one of finding someone willing to coordinate it, etc... I spoke with Jim Jackson on 7/1/2021 and made some notes from our discussion on the disposition of some of the DTC stuff (banners, etc...). Jim Indicated that, although he still has great interest in the group, he can no longer run it.
I just now happened to check back in to this forum after nearly a 7 month absence from it. I believe there may be 5 of us or so in the Detroit area who would be interested in doing some battles. Crius noted the following:
Originally Posted by Crius
I attended the last DTC events at Green Acres Park, but by the end there was only myself and three other guys showing up. If you guys put something together I'd be willing to participate, I might even be willing to build a battle-ready tank. Bwahahaha
I guess this begs the question if 5 or so tankers would be enough to coordinate some tank battling.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:53 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Five people is about what we get in the Texas Armor battle days on average so I would say yes.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:23 AM
sedover

Since I subscribed to this thread I was alerted to the postings. I updated my location so we could get a handle on locations.
Have a 1/16 Tamiya Tiger II. Picked up used without IR but did purchase an IR kit; uninstalled.

Near me there are several potential outdoor sites

If you spoke to Jim; is there a way to restore the old website
Steve
Old 01-05-2022, 02:55 PM
CodeWarrior

I know that at least one of the tankers I counted as interested seemed disinclined to travel too much outside of the NW Detroit area. I also counted Jim in the 5, he would have to comment on his ability to do some battles and travel. As for myself I would be willing to do some battling in Mt. Clemens. I don't want to speak for others- it would be best if everybody would comment on their level of interest and willingness/ability to travel.

Jim indicated he has about 75% of the website available.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:33 PM
sedover

Thought the website was a great effort.

As a side note....had a tour of Tank Command back about 1975 with my electronics class. Most of that memory is gone except for the wind tunnel.

I'm also open to travel within reason. We'll see who steps up, what they have, and where they are at. Who knows there may be a great site right in the middle. I live almost next door to Selfridge.

FYI, I am a novice with this stuff......cannon fodder so to speak.

Standing by.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:44 PM
Crius

I'd kind of like to get in on this, if y'all can put up with me. When someone asks me, "How are ya?", I usually reply, "Old, fat, ugly, tired and broke". I think that covers it. So now that you've been warned, I can maybe do either Brighton (where Jim is, I think) or Mount Clemens, two or three times a year, more if it's between those two, I'm at Five Mile and Telegraph, right on the edge of Detroit. I'm on the west side of Telly, but right across from Brightmore, one of our more disreputable neighbors hoods. But that's OK, I'm just a bit on the disreputable side myself.

Anyway, I don't have the outdoor space to host anything, but if any of the guys ever want to come over and try their hand at slot-cars we might be able to do something. Maybe some kind of drive-a-few-slots-and-also-talk-tanks kind of thing.

Of course, you'll have to give me time to buy and build a Centurion, or maybe get this E-8 rollin'. Right now I don't have a single tank that's battle ready and Tamiya compatible. Well, not counting the HL 6.0 but that's not fully compatible. But I've still got the tank that shoots .50 caliber paintballs!!
Old 01-06-2022, 03:02 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Like I mentioned almost 2 years ago, I would be interested. I wouldn't be a regular but if great weather is expected then I'd be itching to put holes into everyone's armor.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:10 AM
CodeWarrior

"Old, fat, ugly, tired and broke"
Ha- I like that. Those could be my good points.

I'd kind of like to get in on this, if y'all can put up with me.
Unless I'm wrong here, I believe all who have a Tamiya battle-system equipped tank, or a compatible, would be welcome. That's what we're talking about, right?

It looks like there are several of us who may be interested then. Unless someone knows of a good place to run indoors it sounds like any gathering would have to wait until we would get warmer and more dry weather. Is that a good assumption?
Old 01-06-2022, 12:48 PM
sedover

Off the top of my novice head.

I'm also an old guy; never one to behave like one. Perhaps a roll call on equipment within the various armories might be useful. We could have matches that would geared for other battle systems even airsoft.

An east west team organizational structure could be established.

One battle framework I would like to develop would have all participants to be FPV fitted. The battleground would be divided by a curtain/tarp so preps could not be viewed by the other side. Each team would have 30 min to prep their site with active and passive vehicles, decoys, structures, natural features, as well as defensive and offensive measures.

,A flip of a coin would determine who goes first.

The battleground would be a loop so, for example, team west would enter team east's zone and then eventually exit. An option could be to begin with a recon vehicle (FPV fitted) to run the course to collect intel. It would be subject to destruction, so intel may only be partial. Then the main force will follow in whatever form the team decides. Hits and losses are scored as team west exits team east's zone.

A slight break occurs as team west prepares for team east's entry. Then the battle resumes for team east's entry into team west's zone.

The above scenario could be set up for mixed battle systems.

For the time being would just like to get everyone together for just a basic tank day, meet and greet. We can find out what supporters want to do.

Steve
Old 01-10-2022, 08:48 AM
CodeWarrior

Originally Posted by sedover
Perhaps a roll call on equipment within the various armories might be useful.
Agreed- good idea. I'll start by listing what I have available:

CodeWarrior's battletanks and status. All are 1/16 scale unless noted otherwise:
Running: Tamiya Tiger I
In-process: Tamiya Sherman
Not started: Tamiya Pershing
Know of a location for indoor battles: No
Know of a location for outdoor battles: Possibly somewhere in Hines Park
Anything else worth noting: While not directly related to organizing or conducting tank battles I own both FDM and resin 3D printers and use them frequently. Also enjoy doing electronic designs, including those which may work as static targets/enemy.

If you want those of us responding can copy and paste the section below, fill it in, and and paste it in a reply to this thread:

battletanks and status. All are 1/16 scale unless noted otherwise:
Running:
In-process:
Not started:
Know of a location for indoor battles:
Know of a location for outdoor battles:
Anything else worth noting:

One battle framework I would like to develop would have all participants to be FPV fitted....
Sounds interesting. I'd be curious to hear from others if they have any experieince with this kind of arrangement. There is a thread on this already on RCU- perhaps you've already seen it here: FPV Battle System

For the time being would just like to get everyone together for just a basic tank day, meet and greet. We can find out what supporters want to do.
Also a good idea. I would think that, once we get a few more tankers responding to this thread here, we could arrange something like that. Perhaps a Zoom meeting?
Old 01-10-2022, 06:16 PM
sedover

Using your reply;

Originally Posted by CodeWarrior

battletanks and status. All are 1/16 scale unless noted otherwise:
Running: Tamiya King T... have battle syst but not installed. Taigen Panther w/battle syst; V Tank 1/24 King T; several Cheerwing 1/72 Tiger
In-process: RC Armory 1/8 King T
Not started:
Know of a location for indoor battles:
Know of a location for outdoor battles: Plenty....several HCMA parks; Stoney Creek, Lake St Clair Metro Pk(near my home, plenty of areas to use), for you westerners Kensington?
Anything else worth noting

Took a quick look at that FPV combat system, will dig a little deeper in a few days. Have a wireless camera system that can be mounted on anything and has been mounted on my Tamiya King. Looking to find more advanced systems that might incorporate a targeting sight.

Last edited by sedover; 01-10-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:48 AM
Crius

Just so we don't get ahead of ourselves, I think the most important things we should look at first are, how many guys do we have, and where are we going to meet? Once we get those two things figured out then we can worry about who has what. Right at the moment I do not have a fully tamiya compatible tank, just the 6.0 tanks, but I do have an E-8 Sherman that's supposed to be battle ready, I just need to get it on a radio and get it running. But but from what I've seen so far it seems like some guys may have multiple compatible tanks and might be willing to share. I really like the idea of the first meeting just being a meet-and-greet so we can all get to know each other a little bit and talk tanks. To try and set up an actual battle at our first meeting might be more than we want to take on right now. Let's figure out who we have and where we want to meet and go from there. Of course, that's just my opinion, and we all know about opinions ...
Old 01-11-2022, 02:50 AM
Crius

One more thing, it's possible that I might be centrally located to everyone else, I'm at Five Mile and Telegraph. If we wanted to just have a meet and greet for the first meeting, I would be willing to host that at my house. I think I'm pretty much in the middle for everybody.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:41 AM
Elwarpo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I really hope you guys can get together, Please stay safe

Last edited by Elwarpo; 01-11-2022 at 10:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.