Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Parts Reliabilty!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 07:03 AM
gp100

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Yup, decals are np, they are on me. Glad we got you setup my friend. I'll get this out today for you.

While Derp is no GSD, she is very loyal and nice, just derpy as can be in a dog. We used to have a mean little yapper and this one is the total opposite.
Thanks Erik. I greatly appreciate it..

Last edited by gp100; 03-02-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:50 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gp100
Thanks Erik. I greatly appreciate it..
Of course!
Old 03-02-2020, 02:06 PM
pitstain

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

too bad you dont have any Tamiya output shafts for a panther/jagdpanther at IMEX.......grrr.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:00 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

At least Erik is trying and doing a bang up job at it. I've got a situation that no amount of being polite seems to work so I'll vent a little on this thread. I haven't had anything to do with Hooben since 2011, 9 years, but they still list me as a dealer for US even though the divorce was from my side and not amicable, a little something about 4 Clark T55 systems that did not work, any of them, and both Hooben and Clark refused to do anything about it. The icing on the cake was some moons later a parcel was not addressed correctly and according to Hooben ended up in Dubai, or so they say. No over a grand cost refunded on that, either.

Anyone who contacts Hooben about anything in US, they are told to contact me through my site. How I'm supposed to help them is beyond me, but the last one I received was yesterday. Tanker bought a static Elefant and nowhere in the instructions or the parts provided is there a way to hang the drive sprockets on the hull. His directions show an RC model with TU's and of course the TU's did not come with his kit. I have repeatedly emailed Hooben for two years telling them to remove me from their system. Doesn't seem to work, so I'm going to have to tell the unfortunate Elefant builder I can't help him. However, I'll give Hooben one more chance to remove my site from their site, and if that don't happen, there's going to be a pretty large note attached to my site explaining why I no longer deal with them and in clinical detail. Their choice.

Dogs. Here's Sophia playing with children. She's Blue Merle and Champion several times over. She's also very kind and gentle, almost like a service dog, and doesn't know how to bite.

Last edited by sevoblast; 03-03-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:44 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by pitstain
too bad you dont have any Tamiya output shafts for a panther/jagdpanther at IMEX.......grrr.
I've got a KT sitting around somewhere but no Panther in RC. Not sure what the difference is there?
Originally Posted by sevoblast
At least Erik is trying and doing a bang up job at it. I've got a situation that no amount of being polite seems to work so I'll vent a little on this thread. I haven't had anything to do with Hooben since 2011, 9 years, but they still list me as a dealer for US even though the divorce was from my side and not amicable, a little something about 4 Clark T55 systems that did not work, any of them, and both Hooben and Clark refused to do anything about it. The icing on the cake was some moons later a parcel was not addressed correctly and according to Hooben ended up in Dubai, or so they say. No over a grand cost refunded on that, either.

Anyone who contacts Hooben about anything in US, they are told to contact me through my site. How I'm supposed to help them is beyond me, but the last one I received was yesterday. Tanker bought a static Elefant and nowhere in the instructions or the parts provided is there a way to hang the drive sprockets on the hull. His directions show an RC model with TU's and of course the TU's did not come with his kit. I have repeatedly emailed Hooben for two years telling them to remove me from their system. Doesn't seem to work, so I'm going to have to tell the unfortunate Elefant builder I can't help him. However, I'll give Hooben one more chance to remove my site from their site, and if that don't happen, there's going to be a pretty large note attached to my site explaining why I no longer deal with them and in clinical detail. Their choice.

Dogs. Here's Sophia playing with children. She's Blue Merle and Champion several times over. She's also very kind and gentle, almost like a service dog, and doesn't know how to bite.

Thanks! And yea that definitely sounds like a horror story. Also I want your dog.....
Old 03-03-2020, 07:01 AM
sevoblast

LOL. First you have to go through this pair to get to Sophia, the black and white is her husband. They are 2.5 meters tip of nose to tip of tail. Blues are a semi benign genetic mutation of black/white collies. They are somewhat prone to poor eyesight and hearing and are very difficult to breed. She sees poorly but well enough, and she's barren, but she can hear a mouse walking across a cotton ball at two kilometers range.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:50 PM
Imex-Erik

Dogs are the best thing we (man) have ever done. There is a reason they have evolved beside us for thousands of years. Dogs are the only thing that will love you more than yourself and all they ask for is a few tasteless bits of food and a scratch here and there. I'm such a dog fan that if bossman said I couldn't bring in the new pup I would find another place to work Luckily I train mine well and they are always welcome everywhere. As I don't have kids nor do I plan to I spend a lot of time with mine.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:12 PM
sevoblast

You've got that right. We don't have 'two leg' children either and at our ages won't. Our four leg children are well trained,too, and not allowed to bark or have arguments. Sophia and her half sister Ye'katarina are not our breedings, the others are. We were keeping the old blood lines going, big and strong collies, not the little divan pillows so popular in the west today. Collies were bred to protect the flocks in Scotland and as such are excellent watchdogs and brave almost to a fault, yet very kind and loving. It don't get much better than when VCO and I have our evening wine and whine session and Sophia and old Ruslan are snoring at our feet.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:45 PM
gp100

Hey Sevoblast,

I know a bunch of us had discussed it at one time on the board.. But any idea when or if ETO will ever produce a transmission for the Tiger 1 for Taigen? I really want one of those heavy duty gearboxes for my Tiger.. I love the gearing system on those things and really don't care about the money.. I just want the perfect gearbox to go in my tank..
Old 03-04-2020, 10:47 PM
sevoblast

Hey Sevoblast,

I know a bunch of us had discussed it at one time on the board.. But any idea when or if ETO will ever produce a transmission for the Tiger 1 for Taigen? I really want one of those heavy duty gearboxes for my Tiger.. I love the gearing system on those things and really don't care about the money.. I just want the perfect gearbox to go in my tank..
Contact me via email or PM and we'll discuss this concept. It's possible to do, but I will need your input with some simple dimensions. My unit is already in a Taigen Panther.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:37 AM
Shorty54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sevoblast,

I have one in my Tamiya Tiger I, awesome transmission!

Enjoy,
Shad
Old 03-05-2020, 08:12 AM
Tanker1966

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Sevoblast,

Interesting you bring this up. I didn't really like any of the motor/transmission options available for the 1/16 scale tanks. I wanted something "built like a tank". So what else was there to do but design my own. I am a designer/machinist and I have a Tiagen Tiger 1 and a Mato Tiger 1. I came up with a design and prototype that will fit both of them and uses heavy duty robot premium planetary gear motors with duel ball bearings housed in a right angle transmission with bronze miter gears with 4 ball bearings. The motors can run between 6 and 12 volts and are super quiet with tones of torque. They are also more efficient then the motors that came with the tanks. They take up some more room than the stock setup and you will probably have to re-arrange a couple of things inside, but it is definitely worth it! Since they are planetary gear motors, all the stress is directed to the bearings. So this is a very reliable durable design and if anything does ever wear out, it is easily rebuilt. The mounting system is CNC machined right here in the US from 6061 aluminum and is very stiff. I have been testing this setup out and I am extremely pleased with how they are working. Last night I was pulling 35 pounds of dead weight across the carpet at an extremely slow speed with no signs of the motors stalling! They are expensive to manufacture, but like the saying goes, quality isn't cheap. They will run $300 and worth every penny. They should be ready for sale in about two weeks.
I will try to post a picture.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:55 AM
sevoblast

https://etoarmor.com/?product_cat=et...ns-made-by-eto

The following users liked this post:
gp100 (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 09:09 AM
Tanker1966

Hi Robert,
I like that design, except that uses the offset spur gear motors and not the planetary gear system which equalizes the stress to the ball bearings instead of the one sided pressure to a brass bushing.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:34 AM
sevoblast

Almost 8 years of production and one failure in those years. If my very heavy KT's, T1's, IS 2's, KV's and even Panthers can survive this rock garden called home at the hands of children, I must have done something right. I use only the highest grade Milspec metals and bearings, materials not generally available on the civilian market in this AO.

Here's the test report done by a well know Moskau testing facility. They did not know the source of the transmission before the test.

​​​​​​
Attached Files
gp100 (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 09:48 AM
Tanker1966

That's good to hear Robert. Do you know the inch/pounds of torque at the rated RPM of your motors?
Old 03-05-2020, 11:54 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanker1966
The mounting system is CNC machined right here in the US from 6061 aluminum
Just so you guys know, 6061 is about the cheapest, poorest quality aluminum you can get. If you want the really good stuff. look for 3003 or 2024. These, unlike 6061, are aircraft grade materials.
gp100 (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 12:00 PM
Tanker1966

7075 aluminum is even better, but for the housing application, 6061 is a lot stronger than it need to be.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:27 PM
sevoblast

That's good to hear Robert. Do you know the inch/pounds of torque at the rated RPM of your motors?
I never divulge confidential informations. Suffice it to say that in all these years I've never had a motor failure and if such should ever happen, or any failure of any kind, every part for every transmission I've ever built is in stock in multiples in my warehouse in Maryland, said warehouse managed and worked by our resident genius and my firm friend of many years, Daryl Turner. Daryl is a master machinist, as many of our fellow tankers can confirm. His builds and innovations are the stuff of legend.
gp100 (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 12:55 PM
Tanker1966

I didn’t mean to upset you Robert. We are all in this tank thing together. It’s just another high end option.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:59 PM
pitstain

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Rut Roh, this thread went full nerd on Aluminum alloys.....https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/7-...luminum-grade/ Crius, FYI 6061 is used in aerospace as far as I am aware, each different alloy has its place on an aircraft, certain ones for skin, one for structural members, one for linkages, one for fittings, the most important is the one the rolling beverage cart is constructed of in my opinion.

6061 is perfectly fine is the short answer.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:24 PM
sevoblast

I didn’t mean to upset you Robert. We are all in this tank thing together. It’s just another high end option.
My friend, you can not upset me or offend me. I've been in our hobby since 1992 when I purchased my first KT at a flea market in Florida. Our hobby has evolved a bit from that moment and it gives me pleasure that I have been involved in that evolution and have helped many of our fellow tankers with their projects. It don't get much better than that. However, it is past midnight in this AO so time to call it a night. Have a good eventide.
gp100 (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 04:53 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by pitstain
Rut Roh, this thread went full nerd on Aluminum alloys.....https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/7-...luminum-grade/ Crius, FYI 6061 is used in aerospace as far as I am aware, each different alloy has its place on an aircraft, certain ones for skin, one for structural members, one for linkages, one for fittings, the most important is the one the rolling beverage cart is constructed of in my opinion.

6061 is perfectly fine is the short answer.
I'm not saying it isn't fine for what we use it for, it actually casts and flows very well for detail parts. What I'm saying is I see people posting 6061 all the time the same way they posted something is CNC. I keep telling people CNC is just an operating system like Windows or Mac on your PC. A skilled Machinist can make parts of equal quality on manual machines, you just can't do the high volume production runs in the short space of time CNC machines can accomplish. Anyway, back to aluminum, my point is that just because something has numbers on it and people advertise it doesn't mean it's the best around.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:57 PM
gp100

Right now gentlemen, I am what the Japanese would call "Hara o tatete" TRANSLATION: I'M HIGHLY PISSED OFF!

And here's why.. I do NOT do business with the US post office at all.. I haven't purchased so much as frigging stamp from them in over a decade.. And the crappy way they handle packages is part of the reason why.. I wish they would go out of business honestly..It has gotten so bad, that I have flatly refused to do business with ANY company that only uses them for shipping.. Today, I received my parts order from IMEX, and the box was destroyed and parts are missing..The box was so badly damaged that both ends were blown open, and the P.O actually delivered it in a huge mail container they use to sort mail.. On the shipping box they used a stamp in RED that says,

RECEIVED: UNSEALED WITHOUT CONTENTS IN DAMAGED CONDITION AT ABERDEEN IDAHO 83210

Right now, I'm fuming mad.. I will be getting a hold of Erik on this, as parts are missing and what little I did get in the box, is not something I appreciate.. When I asked the woman that delivered it what the hell happened, she looked at me flatly, and replied, "Looks like the shipper was too cheap to spring for a real box that could handle the weight." God forbid they take any damn responsibility at all..

Of course I'm angry over this right now.. I paid good money for this stuff and have no clue where the hell most of my order is.. I took pictures of it all and will be talking with Erik about this as well.. This is completely unacceptable to me.. I only use UPS. Period.. And before people jump on the whole, "I love the P.O and defend them" band wagon, because someone always does, I don't care.. If they work for you, great. But I can't stand them and refuse to deal with them.. Period.

Here's the pictures of what they sent me. God, I hate the post office with a bitter passion.. NEVER had an issue with UPS..

I got one set of stickers. 4 road wheels, 1 track with extra links as pictured.. 1 bag of axles 1 bag of drive sprockets, 1 bag of idler wheels. and on the far right, I got the little bag with some of those little L shaped things the road wheels go into.. I'm so pissed right now, can't even think straight to name them right..

I'm missing a bunch of stuff in the order.. I'm missing 1 set of tracks with extra links. I'm missing the extra track pins,

I'm missing the torsion bars and little copper sleeves they should have.. I'm missing the little set screws and clips and some little metal straight pieces with a notch cut into them. and of course, a bunch of metal road wheels. God only knows what else I'm missing here..

This is the reason I refuse to deal with the post office.. They are as useless as ni pples on a male pig.. when I spent time in China, even Chinapost was better than them.

It has gotten to the point where I have stopped doing business with companies that tell me, "we only ship with USPS." When i hear that, they can guarantee they will never see a penny from me in the future.. I would rather deal with UPS or Fedex. Absolutely NO P.O under any circumstances.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm pissed right now.. I spent a lot of money on this stuff. It wasn't free.. At this point, I have no idea what to do with these parts.. I'll probably keep everything as is right now until Erik gets with me on this..

Last edited by gp100; 03-05-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:38 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I stopped buying from American dealers including Roberts company purely because of the US Postal Service and its multitude of failings PLUS the need to take out a second mortgage to use their antiquated system..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.