Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Torro Tank IR and BB set up?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Torro Tank IR and BB set up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 07:30 PM
Hatredy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torro Tank IR and BB set up?

I see Henglong tanks with both IR and BB systems at the same time but Torro tanks only have one or the other. Can a Torro tank be upgraded to both? Will Henglong and Torro IR systems react to one another?

Any red flags on these tanks?
Henglong 1/16 FPV 6.0 Customized King Tiger RC Tank 3888A Barrel Recoil
Snow white
1:16 Torro Russian KV-2 754r RC Tank 2.4GHz Airsoft Metal Edition PRO Grey

I'm a total noob to this. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:13 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Reference the IR compatibly. Short answer is the 6.0 HL and Torro cannot effectively IR battle with each other in stock format. But the 6.0 HL can IR battle with Tamiyas (or systems that use the Tamiya protocols) with some limitations. These limitations can be lessened with the use of the LegoDEI IR receiver that greatly improves the “taking of hits” response vs the stock 6.0 HL IR receiver.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 06-09-2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:05 PM
Lotuswins

As to the question about Torro and IR and BB coexisting, the answer is yes. All my BB Taigen tanks have IR capability with IBU2 or TCB controllers. The Torro/early HL/Taigen can also be configured for both.
Jerry Rude
Old 06-10-2020, 02:14 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Of the two tanks you listed, I think only the King Tiger will come with the new 6.0 Electronics so you might want to double-check before you buy the KV2.

A Torro Airsoft tank can easily be set up to also have IR capability, simply by installing the emitter and the base for the apple and plugging them into the mfu, but you will only be able to battle against other Torro / taigen tanks, and you won't have Barrel recoil or muzzle flash.

To say that the 6.0 can battle Tamiya "with some limitations" is a bit on the optimistic side. The 6.0 will take and receive hits from Tamiya, but that's ALL it will do. There's no speed reduction for battle damag, they don't have separate weight classes for the tanks and I really don't see the people at Danville allowing stock HL 6.0 tanks on their Battlefield. In short, the Tammy battle system is much, much more sophisticated than the 6.0.

If it were my money, of the two tanks that you listed I think I would go for the King Tiger. If you do get it, I hope you'll post some photos and videos because that Airsoft Barrel recoil is something that is not available on all tanks and there are a lot of us that have not yet seen that.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:10 AM
Crius

And one more thing, if you want to be truly Tamiya compatible, when you install the IR emitter in your Airsoft tank you need to make sure that it's in a 6 millimeter ID tube and the front of the LED is 9 mm deep into the tube. The rules for Club battles are pretty specific, and while heng long has definitely come a long, long way and I'm very impressed by their new stuff, to be truly Tammy compatible they still have a very, very long way to go.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:28 AM
Hatredy

I ordered the Henglong King Tiger. They offer a 7000mah 7.4v 2s lipo but according to the site, it could take longer to ship than the tank. What Lipo batteries are compatible that are readily available? What connectors do Henglong use? Would a Venom uni 2.0 work? I ordered a Traxxas ez-peak live dual charger.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:07 AM
Crius

The tank will come with a Tamiya battery connector. As for lipos, I get a lot of mine from chinahobbyline, because they're cheap and the shipping is fairly quick. HobbyKing also has them, as does banggood.

I hope you'll post lots of photos and video of that tank. That's the newest King Tiger, I hear it has Airsoft with Barrel recoil, and I'm looking forward to getting a look at it.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:08 AM
Hatredy

Originally Posted by Crius
The tank will come with a Tamiya battery connector. As for lipos, I get a lot of mine from chinahobbyline, because they're cheap and the shipping is fairly quick. HobbyKing also has them, as does banggood.

I hope you'll post lots of photos and video of that tank. That's the newest King Tiger, I hear it has Airsoft with Barrel recoil, and I'm looking forward to getting a look at it.
Thanks for the input, I plan to post a video but it'll have to wait till mid-July for the shipping.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:50 AM
LasvoochTheTiger1Ace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible but not probable.

I am sure that taking the Heng Long ir/bb guts and putting them into a Torro/taigen tank CAN be done. It is whether or not it SHOULD be done is the question. Since you said, and I quote, that you are "a total noob", then an install like this may not be the best introduction into the hobby. However, if you are a tank tinker (someone who continuously destroys their stuff to see if it will work) like me, then I say go for it! Seriously though, not advised. If you really want a Torro/Taigen tanks, then I would pick one of their setups and mess with it for a bit. After that, maybe try servo and a new mainboard. slow but steady upgrades like this are a great way to get into the hobby and have fun along the way.

*Note: Torro and Taigen are pretty much the same company. If you live in the USA, then I would advise you to check out Taigen tanks website. They have great prices and fast shipping and Erik, the guy who owns the company, is a great guy. Easy to work with and fast responding emails. He is very knowledgeable in the hobby.

Last edited by LasvoochTheTiger1Ace; 06-17-2020 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:45 AM
BcuriousR

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LasvoochTheTiger1Ace
*Note: Torro and Taigen are pretty much the same company. If you live in the USA, then I would advise you to check out Taigen tanks website. They have great prices and fast shipping and Erik, the guy who owns the company, is a great guy. Easy to work with and fast responding emails. He is very knowledgeable in the hobby.
Erik does not "own" Taigen/Torro......He's great and all, but.............
Old 06-17-2020, 05:01 AM
LasvoochTheTiger1Ace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mistake. But he is a great guy all the same.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:15 AM
BcuriousR

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LasvoochTheTiger1Ace
My mistake. But he is a great guy all the same.
Agreed
Old 06-17-2020, 05:37 AM
Crius

That's correct, Erik is not the owner, the man who owns the imex model company is named Bill. You will hear Erik refer to him as bossman. I've met him, and he's a really good guy.