Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamyia m1A2 56040

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 05:37 AM
SERVUS

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am proud to be part of the journey with the gentlemen on this build everyone has helped and it has been a enjoyable experience i would like to thank you all for your time and support .

Entering the final stages working on the second MG when I have this sorted I will show one way of setting this up there are components still waiting on to arrive.
It will requires a additional 2 channels one for led module and independent 5 amp 5v-12v Bec with on/off switch and the other is for MG sound card.
The 2 inch mini speaker fits in front of the commanders copula .

Finally the Tamiya finespec 2.4g transmitter is a vast improvement and for those having them as a first transmitter you have to be happy it has far more extensive functions than I first thought and there is given the time more features you can extract from this 4ch unit.
do not under estimate the simplicity of this transmitter for the kinder it is perfect.

Anyone new to this hobby here are the differences between old and new please take note this is basic kit equipment.

Tamiya are now providing the finespec 2.4g transmitter looking on your right side in the Japanese kits .

Personnal opinion deciding on your next project i give the Abram's the thumbs up 👍

Last edited by SERVUS; 11-29-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:43 AM
SERVUS

Taking the beast out for testing i like the suspension so smooth rides over obstacles with ease
all functioning perfectly .
Old 12-05-2020, 11:41 PM
SERVUS

Tackling the barracuda umbrella

Mounted rearwards behind loaders hatch and commanders copula .

Last edited by SERVUS; 12-06-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:20 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

That looks really good. I do believe this has been a very informative thread with some pretty good tips in it. Those guys at rctw were pretty stupid to let you go. I can't wait to see what your next project will be.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:15 AM
SERVUS

Thank you Crius I appreciate the comment more often the ones that enjoy there hobbies are often hidden working away quietly in plain sight of many to see, " the quiet achievers".

I will be the first to thank you for all your contribution to the hobby I like many have benefited by the helpful tips you have provided over the years

This rc tank is in the right place here now amongst all the other Abram's tanks crius in rcu and accompanied by like minded members for all to see if in anyway it helps to inspires others into the future I am okay with that .

DREAM IT BUILD IT .

I agree it is a thankless love of the hobby I sometimes become frustrated by very small minded individuals thinking they have some power as Mr T would say I pity the fools .

This is probably going to be a on going project crius at the moment happy with the progress to date and yes I have a few projects ready to go soon .

you know how it is my friends you try ideas and often they don't work out as well as you invisioned and you keep trying till you finish.

The last couple of months has been fantastic the help does make building much easier and having members experiences on there builds helps tremendously.

Finally the only thing these individuals did at rctankwarfare was too disadvantage the members and the friendships they have amongst themselves internal self destruction.

At this point wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas of what has been a extraordinary year , stay safe and we all have a much better year in 2021.

Last edited by SERVUS; 12-06-2020 at 09:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bowlman (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 04:16 PM
SERVUS

I had a crazy idea of adding vibration motors to give it a little more realism running in series powered by a multi switch 5-12v ubec rumble in the jungle..
any thoughts more than welcome on the subject best option is to attempt it and see what happens .

Last edited by SERVUS; 12-06-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:51 PM
SERVUS

Moving on finally the 2nd machine gun for tamiya sure if you had 3rd party board like IBU or asp etc very straight forward to patch in machine gun .
the only options I am aware of is to plug directly into oem machine gun all good only problem is removing upper turret would interfere with this option still able to do .
2nd adding a led machine gun dedicated board which I am attempting.
Requirements.

led board and spare channel
5v ubec with aux on off switch
And sound module

splitter board to clean the wiring up from reciever

Last edited by SERVUS; 12-06-2020 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:03 PM
SERVUS

Okay let's look at a second function machine gun on any Tamiya rc tank with the ability to have a second MG not only to work but to run independently one eg is the js2 rear MG you guest it possible to covert and make as option.

Not sure if it has been done before if so doesn't matter i show.

The only thought I had was this going to fit well gentlemen it is small and it will fit .

not only Tamiya , Henglong , Taigen everyone .
cost cheap upgrade.
first i will get it up and running requires a channel designated AUX however I will attempt to have it run on 4 ch finespec buttons the work light runs on finespec button then i can not see any reason as yet this will not work .

The input voltage is a constant 5v-7.4v i have been trying to find out what the ampage value of the internal ubec of the tamiya board is unfortunatly they do not supply this information .
all working now get finespec button to cycle thru 4 channels adjusting values Hopefully closing 3 channels -100 and leaving actual channel used +100.

just waiting for a on off switch thought I had one just can not find it mmmmm it works .
nice 50 cal sound that will compliment tank MG.

Last edited by SERVUS; 12-08-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:46 AM
SERVUS

Adding a additional amplifier while I am in the process andriod Bluetooth enabled as well to allow control from handy or in English mobile phone there is enough room in the front section of hull with access to recharge function via the drivers hatch.
I will provide all the components detail when completed very cheap upgrade

Last edited by SERVUS; 12-10-2020 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:47 PM
SERVUS

Breaking newsAfter new discovery with two vibration motors arranged fixing both sides the rumbbels and vibration are perfect I was able to place power together mounting can motors looks realistic .touching the upper hull body and with sound enhancements
Tamiya will be watching add new to product release lol

Last edited by SERVUS; 12-13-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:02 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I echo Crius comment, RCTWs loss is RCUs gain.
I just bought a Heng Long Abrams and builds such as this not only help with the build but save a small fortune in band aid, bad language and hard cash,
So a very big thank you.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:56 AM
SERVUS

Thank you will fiddle come up with suggestions just everyone stay safe . Servus
Old 12-27-2020, 02:38 AM
SERVUS

Hello everyone it works here is picture i have changed speaker works 100% better not a issue while i search for smaller better hifi tweeter speaker at the moment i have attached a 8 ohm speaker gentlemen perfect or apply with speaker of your specs
any time in various applications rc tanks
On/OFF switch bec

Perfekt speaker visaton FRS 7 8 ohm

So the issue not just issue really just a replacement find a 8 ohm speaker no higher than 15 w there is a speaker small enough and i will show a speaker best type for the small area required and yes it sounds awesome very cheap conversion .
i hope everyone enjoyed there xmas .
it was always going to work just minor adjustments

all available thru hobby king
jarndice cruise and my friend adlav unable to speak to them thanks for the warm welcome to commercial motivated individual so scared of his business for me i show everything however most are very good merry xmas nice for telling me such pointless information best wishes rctankwarfare .
also i will show bluetooth set up it will all fit .
My friend from china sending new hi fi boards with power amp boosters the bluetooth i am excited about under €10 and with 2 speaker €15 get this run the main mg thru the hi-fi amp booster board .

Thanks for fhe well wishes anything to save $ has to be good also rc aviation glad to have them .

Really you can attach to internal speakers also as option.
i can use speaker no problem just after the sound quality and this the speaker small it reduced the interest because the speaker is only 4 ohm and about 2w we do this going along .

Last edited by SERVUS; 12-27-2020 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:29 AM
SERVUS

Had time to use the abram yes still bits to do never finish also super happy with it changing a board just to get extra 2nd fuction mg no chance.
first making sure battle systms wo4k show hidden

Js2 hidden system

abram testing system
manage to get some lipo batteries run thru flawless freeing up nicely manage to get power slides left and right track was a little not switching to power mode as yet till the can had some more run time battery life excellent .
will check condition of lipo .

checking the balance of lipo after 30 mins runtime still had some power available .

Last edited by SERVUS; 12-27-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:12 PM
SERVUS

Quick hint want to check led place a button battery negative to positive to test if they are okay

Merry Christmas everyone looking forward to a happpy New year for 2021 .
Jarndice , crius, adlav thankyou for well wishes posted above .

Last edited by SERVUS; 12-29-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:58 PM
SERVUS

Have some things to talk about thw M1A2 shortly .
Old 12-30-2020, 05:21 PM
SERVUS

Going to sit down this week and have a look and come up with solution in my opinon the drive sprocket tolerence are too precise.
I agree gentlemen with plastic drive is of concern with current oem specifications they made a flaw.
Being mindful of where to operation abrams for indoor use is no problem if you feel and would like throwing a little dirt no bigger than a grain of fine sand would be okay small rocks will bind up in seconds please be patient while i come up with a better set up and yes i understand from the start all your concerns if you read right from the start the advise was more than valid it is probably best to address this in the build of the m1a2 .
Not so much a issue just some time in the process makes you well familar with maintenance .

Now is STOP soon i will show as you posted metal tracks experiences why you have pros and cons would be of benifit in detail ?
hope you all had a good xmas and seen some really good work on henglongs watching tanksters video again 1/16 tiger done a really good job.
looking forward to speaking with you all soon.

Last edited by SERVUS; 12-30-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:00 AM
SERVUS

All complete gentlemen with 4 ch electronic switch you can operate with the finespec 2.4g to operate the MG from transmitter all is perfect with two speakers mentioned above works super using buttons I will install and show the set-up.soon now everything is working I will attach the small speakers with double sided tape.

probably ask why on /off extra channels one for working light leaving 2 for the Bluetooth and Hi-Fi amp all control from transmitter I used a splitter to add the sound cards and light effect off the same channel .

Last edited by SERVUS; 01-02-2021 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:49 PM
Durahl

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Exclamation A word on that question...

Originally Posted by LasvoochTheTiger1Ace
Ok, so I know I am about to sound like a total noob to the hobby (which I am) but what is so good about Tamyia Tanks. They look like they are worth less money than they cost. Is it the electronics or a special feature they all share? Or is it just that the company is a pioneer of the hobby?
Well... I'd say this begs two questions to answer one:
1. Where do you get the Tamiya Prices from? From Tamiya themselves or from resellers usually selling them well below what Tamiya lists on their website?
2. Are you comparing the Tamiya prices against the likes of Heng Long, etc...?
If one or both of those can be answered with yes, then there's your main issue 😁

For one - I'm pretty sure I've never paid more than ¾ and only rarely more than ⅔ of what Tamiya lists as MSRP on their website when buying from a reseller be it one selling from Hong Kong or semi locally from Germany ( can't buy **** here in Switzerland... THEY actually sell it for the MSRP 🤣 ) - Strangely enough though the prices of the models seem to have skyrocketed in the past years or soo... Yea - I recall buying my now Leopard 2A6 for like under 900.- back when it was released and listed for 1'200.- but now they're apparently listing it for like 1'800.- 😶 Like WAT?

For the other - IMHO, Tamiya has always been about the journey to the goal and then some aka. building the model and driving it. Heng Long and Co. don't follow that metric and thus aren't bound by its constraints that increase production costs like designing a model consisting of close to hundreds of injection moulded parts the user wants to assemble - Their models at best are made out of 2-3 dozen parts that fit into maybe two or three dies and assembled in like 5min by cheap labor to be shoved into a styrofoam box whereas the Tamiya one would require like 10-15 dies and parts bin packaging further adding to the costs. Same for the drivetrain... If you compare Tamiya ones with HL you'll find that the Tamiya ones either use really thick folded steel as the casings with machined gears or in the case of the Cold War Era tanks provided us with a totally new and super sweet design of gearbox incorporating both motors into a single drive unit all while HL's offerings are so bad in quality they now literally advertise the possibility of buying into better gearboxes made out of barely thicker than paper sheet metal and using actual steel instead of sintered metal or plastic gears.

I have to admit I never held anything but my own Tamiya tanks in my hands but from watching dozens of videos of HL tanks being reviewed or advertised I can say with confidence that you get what you pay for with them based on stuff like Stanley Legion casually lifting a T-90 ( I think it was a T-90... ) with like one hand off the table after grabbing it at one end of the hull - Either that man's wank game is on a totally next level than mine or it's saying a lot the lack of a heft HL models have cause sure as hell I couldn't comfortably do that with any of my Tamiy tanks. Yea... Not having a model stuffed with "unnecessary" additional parts a user would want to build into their models or to reinforce them apparently makes them easy to handle 😉.

And then there's the thing with HL just plain ripping off the sound off the Tamiya Models for their own models - Just listen to a video of a Tamiya King Tiger and compare it to ANY HL King Tiger YouTube video you can find - You can find Tamiyas recording of the French Samur King Tiger on YouTube by searching for "The Roar of the Tiger" Maybach Engine キングタイガー重戦車 エンジン始動 and even if HL did the same theirs should still sound different but they're identical to a tee - Money saved again by ripping of others work.

Obviously I'm a smidge biased towards Tamiya but despite that I acknowledge that cheap too has it's place for various reasons - It just shouldn't be used as an argument for comparison without background why it is cheaper 🤔
Old 01-02-2021, 07:25 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Tamiya used to set the gold standard in the 1/16 scale. Their tanks are well engineered, but not perfect. Some of issues where the hull will twist or the gearboxes need extra bracing. I added additional aftermarket items to my Tamiya KV-2 to fix those issues as well as additional detail parts to fix detail inaccuracies. I like my Tamiya KV-2, but I don't LOVE it. I'm actually considering replacing the electronics with a Clark TK-40 board because I like the control that board offers over the Tamiya controls which I personally find wonky. The turret has issues turning if it's not completely on flat ground. The elevation mechanism is fiddly at best and won't respond if you move the stick too fast. The electronics rely on manual trim settings which most are electronic these days. You have to control track movement on two sticks. I prefer driving on one and turret control on the other. Yes you can program your radio to do most of these functions, but you are then outside the normal Tamiya parameters.

Nothing says you have to buy a Heng Long with cheap gearboxes and plastic suspension. They sell the higher end versions with steel gearboxes, metal rubber coated wheels (which the new Tamiya Sheridan doesn't have), metal tracks, metal sprockets, and metal idlers. Some like the Abrams and Russian modern tanks now have metal hulls from Heng Long. The electronics used to really be junk, but now they come out with new, better ones regularly where as Tamiya sat on the same electronics for decades, I have Taigen, Tamiya, Heng Long, Hooben, Trumpeter, and Haya tanks in 1/16 scale. None are perfect, but I do feel better cutting up a $300 Heng Long Abrams than an $1100 Tamiya Abrams. For $1100 I shouldn't have to worry about Tamiya having better detail, but their Abrams has many detail issues. Some are the same as the Heng Long. Heng Long has produced many models that Tamiya doesn't. Their Abrams was out first with Tamiya following them. They have released the T-90, the T-72, the Stug, the Panzer 3, the ZTZ-99, the ZTZ-99A - none Tamiya has produced in 1/16th scale.

Can you spend as much money upgrading a HL as you would spend on a stock Tamiya? Yes you can as I have done it, but I am also getting a better tank than the Tamiya IMO. I EXPECT to upgrade a HL to make it a great tank. I don't expect to have to upgrade a Tamiya to make it a great tank, but I have had to do it which then adds to the already high price.
bowlman (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 08:16 AM
Durahl

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

How can Tamiya have lost the gold standard title when HL doesn't even compete in it? 🤔

End-users loading their models with lead ballast to approach or even reach scale weight is undoubtedly not to spec what Tamiya designed their models for so gearboxes bending a chassis out of shape due to lack of bracings between them or bearing support in the sidewalls for the shaft to reside in is a user induced problem and thus not a fault Tamiya can be blamed for - Just for the laughs have a watch at this: youtu.be/jRn5waE0qfk kinda proving my point that everything will be bent out of shape given enough torque. My #56018 King Tiger, a little over it's stock BMI, has no issues with it getting bent out of shape to the point where it becomes noticeable and neither does my #56020 Leopard 2A6 nor my #36208 Flakpanzer Gepard ( though the latter one started out as a Display Model and obviously had to be modified soo probably not the strongest argument on my part... )

Same for an End-users distaste with the provided Electronics Board demanding Single Stick Turret/Track Controls - Tamiya started shipping the 4CH DMD Units back in 2000 when RC equipment with 4CH already was like really ****in' expensive and anything above would have raided the bank so they had to make do with it and used the Trimmers for additional functionality and while the concept is arguably dated AF these days it undeniably still works - Obviously with dumb old Tamiya Transmitters but also with modern Dual Rate capable "smart" Transmitters of any other brand like my FrSky Horus X12S ( youtu.be/VNP6Dstz6wc ) - The only issue lies with remotes in-between being modern but dumb because they're lacking both analog Trimmers and the smarts to compensate for that - That and the preference for Single Stick Turret/Track Control are, again, a user induced problem.

With luck on my side, I'll be receiving a #56016 M26 Pershing tomorrow which I've read is supposedly having issues with the Turret Ring not working well due to the cramped insides but like I already mentioned in my last post I'm kinda looking forward to building and solving that puzzle along the way. Maybe a little bit of reorganizing the insides will do maybe converting it to a Leopard 2A6 style Ball Bearing Turret Ring will be an option? Certainly not using a spare L2A6 one but maybe a 3D Printed one 😁

I also find the argument that HL shipped their Abrams first a kinda moot argument considering my last posts explanation of Tamiya having steeper requirements with what their builder customers demand from them - Tamiya has most likely started working on their Abrams well before HL and HL just took notice of it, slapped the usual electronics and mechs into an upscaled and for RC use modified ( and simplified ) 1/35 model and called it a day - Good job 👍

But my last post was not about all of that... It was about why one can't and shouldn't really compare Tamiya against HL and call them expensive - The two serve entirely different starting customer bases that just happen to align at a certain point.
If you don't like building a model, painting a model then Tamiya isn't even going to be on your list unless you have someone else do all of that for you begging the question what even the point of that purchase was?
If you like building a model, painting a model then HL too isn't going to be on your list unless you're like to buy all the 1st and 3rd party aftermarket parts but at that point what even was the point of that purchase?
Old 01-03-2021, 07:20 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I've been building models for over 40 years and lusted after the Tamiya tanks since I was 10. Now that I own one, I doubt I will buy anymore in the future especially since they are being discontinued faster than they are releasing new ones. We've already hijacked this thread enough so all I will say is...enjoy your Tamiya tanks since no argument I make will change your mind anyway.
bowlman (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 01:05 PM
SERVUS

Interesting topic each has purpose HL not so cheap any more watch and see how much mato jumped.
I agree the cost of models have increased due to supply and demand less demand the higher the cost such is the world these days.
HL upgrade due to building in another form instead of scratch new boards better drive systems how much does it really cost .

Only advise I could offer is to hold on to your models .

The only difference is you build have more knowledge of the tamiya when it breaks down your instant to many problems and issues .
Now Electronics China has upgraded rapidly in the last 10 years all though tamiya is a head again with its latest boards after type 10 now with displays.
Enjoy your models some place personnel additions which is perfect
the version 6 electronic boards makes it more difficult in my opinion until someone opens new ways of adapting those new releases let's face it most metal tanks are.very heavy .

So enjoy Tamiya ,Henglong, mato, taigen we are lucky to have choice and those few providing upgrades thank god for them.
only my opinion
however I do have some items to share with you soon if it was like my taigen it was stripped in bits amber products and ibu3 sound board however i do like elmod and with the Germany community servonaut.

The tamiya is accurate more than henglong I am interested in detail the injection mould are thicker and better abs, styrene.
Js2 tamiya on shelf going no where lol.
I picked up my friends Taigen js2 nice heavy brick come to battle he is on my transmitter.

CARSONS dklmrc JS2 metal tracks are the best for detail .
we are very good builders and to have help with issues is awesome thank you now

about the metal tracks M1A2 could I ask kindly the real thoughts pros and cons .
in germany we use alot different brands I use servonaut .

Back on subject I am now installing mg have a look great because manage to running fine spec 2.4g perfect with 2x speakers sounds great power thru 4ch receiver.

Off the splitter I have 2 more 5 v going down to the hull for the Bluetooth run sound sets via phone back ground noise anthems, music etc

At the start I was trying to see what can be achieved from this 4 ch transmitter.

If I am brave enough I might show my heng long and taigen over the years I played with electronics

lets try and spend little €€€€ or ££££ of $$$
so far $45
camera ????? Very good for battle reply

Last edited by SERVUS; 01-05-2021 at 01:40 AM.
bowlman (01-04-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 08:09 PM
SERVUS

Very happy able to do other functions for me surprised what are the potentials ?
If the fine spec 2.4g is in your Japanese kits be happy.
they have been very clever with this transmitter tankers sure you can operate a camera as well off the buttons how many new accessories 3 so far .
whilst I am going over everything I will mod and use on M1A2

Last edited by SERVUS; 01-05-2021 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:07 AM
SERVUS

Please be patient with me my friends I will enter what I call it final tune up just for the reason some of you guys are familiar with some short comings I agree should have corrected in the process was not sure about covid also new for the Abram owner myself was good to see first hand.
The motion vibration motors they do not have to be very large even smaller will greatly increase realism you will all love placing 2 small cans weighted close to gearboxes heavy components.
Reason due to the fact the suspension is so soft you will get this effect perfect was a great discovery in knowledge doing this years ago including ww2 models and happy to share this awesome just run of can motors weights depend on how heavy your tanks are determines off set weighted eg run the Bec power regulation board easy upgrade cheap.
yes jaurndice would love to catch up with you guys doesn't matter will share everyone benefits most of the member they go on many sites will do some more models keep this going .
want it to battle well you can have a very good runner with some bling those tracks failing I will take up with tamiya that is a fault fix the tracks and drive sprockets.
I rill place a video never in my life have maybe some will do these upgrades well fantastic.
I hope you have enjoyed this so far ?

This had been a fantastic build with you all Ben thinking about attacking fvp camera you sit there wondering should I do it .
Take your time doing bits when you can .
get together have some fun if get a plastic gearbox fail do not worry drop a line help out of a jam abram , 2a6 ,type 10 okay .
cruis nice guy from Detroit always helps done alot my friend and your time we should thank you .
pitstain your builds are funny please keep going.
you will find good hobby owners brick and mortar including online .

When it wotks at end I will supply all reference to cheap items.
say hello to Ian for me nice guy and I will catcj up with my good friend Adlav was in Heathrow was happy to come along to tank club so sad it closed maybe a pint beer ? Love to see Bluetooth tanks rolling along .

Last edited by SERVUS; 01-10-2021 at 07:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.