Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

A new scam on eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 09:07 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

I like that I get them on a email address that PayPal has never had . Plus I have the phone app so I can check on my account easy .
jimmy
Old 11-12-2020, 09:12 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I guess it really is true that you can't be too careful. As for the original item that I posted about, like I said above, eBay showed the item as delivered and the seller kept saying that the item has been delivered. About 10 days later it showed up at my house. Now how could it have been delivered if it didn't show up for another 10 days? I can't say it was a scam, but there was definitely something going on there that was suspicious. I just can't figure out how they got eBay to claim that the item had been delivered by the post office when it obviously hadn't if it showed up 10 days later. I'll probably never know, but I do know that I will always use PayPal for anything that I buy online. They have saved my butt more than once.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:38 AM
Kelaris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rarely order anything from eBay, but I've often heard of shipping problems, people are sick of it.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:21 AM
Kelaris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kelaris
I rarely order anything from eBay, but I've often heard of shipping problems, people are sick of it.
Honestly, I, too, would be uncomfortable if someone lost my package or damaged it. If I want to order something from China, I always use only china post ems tracking, it is more reliable than any other international shipping. I often order expensive goods and I need to track the movement of the parcel all the way. I hope that one day eBay will improve delivery, otherwise, the rating of the site will fall forever.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:49 AM
Crius

I still buy a lot of stuff on eBay and for the most part things go rather smoothly, but one thing that still kind of gets my goat is that sellers don't seem to realize that there's a difference between creating a label and shipping an item. Many times I've checked and found that the label has been created, but then it takes them three or four days to actually get the item to the shipping carrier. Not long ago I ordered a CD and in between the time he created the label and the time tracking said it had been accepted by the carrier was more than three weeks. I ended up buying the CD from a different supplier and told the guy in Russia that I just wanted my money back. About a month later the CD from Russia showed up and I got an email from the guy asking me to pay for it. I told him how I had already purchased the item from another source and didn't need this one anymore because he had been so slow to ship, and if he wanted it back I had no problem with that, but he would have to pay return shipping. I never heard from him again. But even with all its flaws, eBay still has the best prices and selection on a lot of things that I like for my hobbies, both tanks and, more recently, slot cars. So I'll just keep using eBay, and do my best to enjoy venting when they get it wrong.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:08 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I buy a lot from eBay as well as Amazon. Amazon is a little more reliable. Of all the orders I've had two times where the seller sent shipping and it never actually shipped and I never received the item. eBay refunded my money quickly.

That said I understand prospective issues and don't expect miracles, I try to order from people in my own country or that have the stock in my own country. Order from Russia? No thank you.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:11 AM
evan-RCU

ebay needs to improve delivery???

Originally Posted by Kelaris
Honestly, I, too, would be uncomfortable if someone lost my package or damaged it. If I want to order something from China, I always use only china post ems tracking, it is more reliable than any other international shipping. I often order expensive goods and I need to track the movement of the parcel all the way. I hope that one day eBay will improve delivery, otherwise, the rating of the site will fall forever.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:20 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I just went through a bout of ebayitis. About a month back now I put up an item for sale for which I wanted a reserve type auction. The item didn't sell so ebay's MO is to auto-relist it. Sometime shortly after the first run I paid the listing fee. Then the fun began. My bank account was debited the amount, ebay's account status page showed my payment and that my balance was 0.

After the second listing iteration I pulled my item having had enough of ebay's Shenanigans.

Ebay began sending me messages that I still owned them the fee, and warned it would affect my account and I thought I can see that I paid it it must be a delay somewhere. In the meantime I placed bids of old Webra engine parts that I needed. The bid attempts failed becuase my account had been 'restricted'. Then the sessions with 'customer support' began.; first online then via phone. I would have had better luck speaking with fence posts and vegetables. I have never ever experienced such a low level of competence and utter lack of customer centric BS as I did on those calls. I was handed from one incompetent boob to another in in the end simply hung up on multiple times. At the end of the first series of calls I was told "I see the problem and I will fix it, don't worry. It will take 24-48 hours". Never happened. Still couldn't bid. Account status remained the same. So back again I called but in the meantime I sicced my Bank on ebay lodging a dispute on the payment that I'd made. The last time I called ebay customer support I was livid, not proud of my 'deportment' ( I would have pulled a 'Will Smith' if I could have) and the unfortunate CS guy again said he'd fix the problem 'don't worry' ( seems they're instructed to say that a lot) and he'd stay on the line while I placed a small bid on something I'd want. Happily it worked, finally.

I did play with the idea with leaving the payment dispute in place but I contacted my bank to remove it explaining the situation.

I did vow never, ever to sell anything on ebay again and only to buy things I really can't find anywhere else which is really reduced to old OEM parts for my engines and tools; perhaps raw materials, metric screws...

Ebay has long since been reduced to a monolithic, greedy faceless corporate sort that I hate to deal with.

Jerry
Old 03-29-2022, 05:29 AM
evan-RCU

You paid to have the item relisted? On my items there is no fee, it just extends...

I must be very lucky when I hear of people's experiences.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:09 AM
Crius

I never sold anything on eBay so I've never had any trouble, and the item I bought from Russia was many months ago, long before the beginning of all the stuff that's going on now. Obviously right now I won't be buying anything from Russia. I'm not sure how eBay would think they had the right to just take money out of your bank account, Jerry, that happened to me with a vendor that I used on PayPal and that was how I learned to check about once a month and make sure there are no active billing agreements at PayPal, but I have no idea if eBay has a similar system. That's the reason I never sign up for anything with auto pay. There's no way I'm giving anyone Advance authorization to take anything out of any of my bank accounts, but I'm kind of known for being overly paranoid.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:34 AM
evan-RCU

Overly paranoid sounds smart and, yes, not just since the current world affairs.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:41 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Ebay's selling fees have gotten outrageous. I recently (in the last week) sold some items. One of them was $10 and I had to charge $9.45 for a flat rate small box to ship it in. As it turns out the Ebay shipping fee was only $8.25. I was charged $3.10 in Ebay fees on the $19.45 the seller paid me. Ebay used to only take the valuation fee on the value of the item, but now they charge on the entire payment which includes the shipping. I refunded the seller the extra $1.20 they overpaid in shipping. Not so much as a thank you or even positive feedback after I left a positive for them. The items I sold were shipped within one day of the payment and in some cases the same day. When you generate a shipping label through Ebay, the seller does pay for it and it sends the buyer the tracking number. The seller can chose when they drop off the package and that is usually in their terms and conditions of their auctions. Mine says within two business days. Others have no such provisions so the can ship whenever they want. I would say larger sellers probably call for a pickup once they have enough stuff to do so or drop it off in bulk. Once it's out of Ebay's hands and in the shipper's hands, Ebay has zero influence on the shipping.

The only feedback being left anymore is by sellers on buyers. Buyers aren't leaving feedback anymore unless it's bad. Even the selling interface no longer shows which sales left feedback, but the purchase page shows the seller's feedback if it's been left. Ebay is still a good deal on some items for our hobby, but other than that I don't buy much on Ebay anymore. I still sell there because the stuff I have to sell is older computer gear mostly which has little local market demand. Ebay reaches many more folks looking for vintage items.

I've had two auctions where the seller backed out of the auction. One where he didn't get enough money for the item and flat out said that. He said he wouldn't sell it to me. I left negative feedback for him as he relisted the item before even giving me a refund. The other sold the item before the auction ended and didn't end the auction. There was no penalty for that guy. In both cases, it took over ten days to get my money back. In both cases I had to open disputes with Ebay and wait for the sellers to respond. In the case of the second guy, almost three weeks to get a refund. It was for Taigen IS-2 so the seller had my close to $500 of my money for three weeks. I had to fight to get my money back as Paypal is not the Ebay payment system anymore. You can use Paypal, but it all goes through Ebay now and the funds are all deposited into back accounts directly. The only good thing is that Ebay guarantees a refund if the seller never responds.

Last edited by tankme; 03-29-2022 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:09 AM
Crius

The reason I don't leave feedback anymore is because it's pointless. I had an incident with a seller and I left neutral feedback because I was not happy with the service I was provided. The seller called eBay and whined and eBay took the feedback down. You should check and see if the negative feedback you left is still there. If the seller knows what they're doing it's probably gone.

And shipping costs are only going to get worse. I saw a thing on TV this morning that said two years ago you could ship a container from China for a little over $1,500. That same container today cost more than $16,000 to ship. That's ridiculous.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:22 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

The negative is still there. In fact because of it he never sold the item on Ebay. At least that's what I'm going to assume because he only had three feedback and with mine it pulled his feedback rating down to like 66%. He relisted that item at least a half dozen times after our transaction and he finally gave up. It never sold on Ebay.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:26 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by evan-RCU
You paid to have the item relisted? On my items there is no fee, it just extends...

I must be very lucky when I hear of people's experiences.
No I did not pay to have it relisted; as I mentioned Ebay auto-relisted it.I believe they'll do that several times for one fee.

ebay isn't the fun experience it was when I first joined it many years ago. I have sold or attempted to sell anything
there in nearly 20 years. This last attempt was me trying to sell an 8x8 truck kit.

Jerry
Old 03-29-2022, 10:19 AM
evan-RCU

Sorry my misunderstanding of "The item didn't sell so ebay's MO is to auto-relist it. Sometime shortly after the first run I paid the listing fee."

Possibly another misunderstanding of "I have sold or attempted to sell anything there in nearly 20 years."? You haven't sold anything on eBay for 20 years?
Old 03-29-2022, 10:59 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by evan-RCU
Sorry my misunderstanding of "The item didn't sell so ebay's MO is to auto-relist it. Sometime shortly after the first run I paid the listing fee."

Possibly another misunderstanding of "I have sold or attempted to sell anything there in nearly 20 years."? You haven't sold anything on eBay for 20 years?
Yes I mistyped have for haven’t sold