Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Devo 10 (DeviationTX) & Taigen v3 MFU

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Devo 10 (DeviationTX) & Taigen v3 MFU

Old 03-07-2021, 04:15 PM
sclui

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Devo 10 (DeviationTX) & Taigen v3 MFU

I decided to pull out my 7-year old Walkera Devo 10 Tx to try operating my Taigen PZ4 running the v3 MFU.

This Devo 10 Tx is not running factory F/W, instead, it’s running DeviationTX v 5.0.0 last released in 04.2016, this is similar to OpenTX in that it allows for using different protocols. The only spare Rx I have is an Orange R615x, a 6-channel cPPM unit DSMX, but I hooked it up to the v3 MFU with the 6 patch wires supplied by Taigen.

The Devo 10 is setup to use simple mixes to start, so scales are -100 or 100. I was under the impression that the smoker and MG won’t work with non-Taigen Tx going in, however, when I fired up the PZ4 using the Devo 10, the smoker started working when I “engaged” the engine, and it continued to work until I “killed” the engine.

Should the smoker work with a non-factory Tx at all? I suppose I could just unplug the smoker from the MFU, or use a Rx with an extra channel to control it separately, but I like to know since I don’t want it active 100% of the time.

Secondly, as for the MG, Taigen probably tweaked the MFU to simulate extra channel like some of the Chinese RTF drones – having the controller use values in one of the existing channels well outside the normal range, the controller will then strip these values off and treat it as an extra channel? Does anyone know what channel it may be and the associated value range?
Old 03-08-2021, 07:05 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Smoker is always on with the aftermarket transmitters, that is normal. MG is lost with aftermarket too. I've heard of someone getting back the MG on another forum but I'll have to check on that. For now you can add a passthrough switch so you don't have to unplug it. Pics below:

Just a heads up, TG board contains the A7105 chip if you want to dig around
Old 03-08-2021, 07:44 AM
sclui

Erik,

Thanks!! Obviously my info on the smoker was incorrect to start, now I can proceed to put in an inline switch, be it mechanical or electronic if I swap in a Rx with more than 6 channels. Appreciate the TG board info, just have to work through the channels (guessing it's 5) and hopefully finding the unusual range Taigen uses. BTW, the other forum (UK) thread of using a momentary switch turned out to be a bust, the owner was using a Clark board even though it wasn't mentioned in the thread.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:51 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by sclui View Post
Erik,

Thanks!! Obviously my info on the smoker was incorrect to start, now I can proceed to put in an inline switch, be it mechanical or electronic if I swap in a Rx with more than 6 channels. Appreciate the TG board info, just have to work through the channels (guessing it's 5) and hopefully finding the unusual range Taigen uses. BTW, the other forum (UK) thread of using a momentary switch turned out to be a bust, the owner was using a Clark board even though it wasn't mentioned in the thread.
Yea if you are using something like Devo with a ton of channels I would go with something external like the Dr Mad Thrust MG unit and switch it that way. I'm interested to see how this turns out, keep me updated please.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:41 AM
sclui

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik View Post
Yea if you are using something like Devo with a ton of channels I would go with something external like the Dr Mad Thrust MG unit and switch it that way. I'm interested to see how this turns out, keep me updated please.
Errik,

Appreciate the tip, I am going to try to hunt down the mix for the MG before going to a visual-only solution, but it's nice to know of alternatives. Thanks!!
Old 03-09-2021, 08:31 AM
sclui

Erik, between the visual aid you suggested, along with this PCB, that may just do it https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nd-unit-needed
Old 03-10-2021, 09:13 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by sclui View Post
Erik, between the visual aid you suggested, along with this PCB, that may just do it https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nd-unit-needed
That was an interesting read. Definitely sounds like something I would like to try at some point. If you do attempt it please post your progress here!