Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Printer recommendations

Old 05-10-2022, 06:40 PM
Tanque

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Printer recommendations

Hey gents Question for you. I've had a Samsung C460 color laser printer for quite some whilie and I'm happy enough with it and its
reliability but the quality of color images could be better; especially when I'm trying to print small images such as instrument faces.

My 'detailed' printing needs are two fold. Printing a crisp color representation of an instrument dial in 1/6 and 1/10 scales and
with my laser printer using it to essentially print a transfer that I can use to do photo etch plaques and name plates

I'm also looking at moving to a new image software program.. I'm trying to stay away from Adobe's pay_as_you_go or yearly plan
because I'm old enough to want to own what I use. I realize Photoshop is the gold standard but I'm not sure I need it.

(I don't care much for 'cloud' crap either; I'm an old ex-developer and we all worked in the mother of all clouds - IBM mainframes so been there done that.)

For images I've been using LView almost as long as it's been around but it's gone static, no further upgrades so I'm going to give GIMP -GNU Image Manipulation Program a go.

I'd appreciate recommendations for both printer and software.from folks who are much more frequently involved in detailed printing than I am. It's only once in a
while that I'll poke my head up for something like this. I am aware of high end Epson (and no doubt others) color printers in the 6k+ region and I'm not going there.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry
Old 05-11-2022, 01:47 AM
Crius

Received 201 Likes on 174 Posts

Hey, Jerry, I can't really help you with the software, but I've always had very good luck with Epson printers. The one I have now I've been using for many years, it's an Artisan 710, which I don't think is available anymore but I'm sure they have a model that replaced it, and I just love it. It uses five different colors of ink instead of just three, and it's especially good at printing decals, which is the main reason that I bought it in the first place. Ink prices aren't too bad, black is about $20, and a 5-pack with all the colors I need is about $55 and the cartridges seem to last for quite a while. It's also easy to find the individual cartridges on the internet because some colors run out sooner than others so you don't want to buy an entire 5 pack if you already have two yellow cartridges in the drawer, if you know what I mean. I've never had any problems with it but I have noticed that as it gets older I get better results if I print on Plain paper before I put the decal film in. Kind of like giving it a warm-up run. But the print is still nice and crisp and I never get bleeding or anything like that. Unfortunately, it doesn't print White, but very, very few printers do. For decals you just have to work around that, sometimes using white decal paper, and sometimes using the clear. I'll be interested to see what you come up with, my printer is getting pretty old, so please keep us posted.

Oh yeah, it also prints excellent photos and it will even print cds.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:57 AM
rgburrill

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Man after my own heart. I also use Photoshop and refuse to go with the pay as you go. I upgraded to CS2 years ago and have successfully transferred it to Windows 8 and 10, without Adobe support because they just don't anymore. I also have GIMP. It seems to have all the capabilities of Photoshop but I just feel more comfortable with Photoshop. But GIMP should work for you.

As far as printers I am an HP man. Inkjets and Laserjet. Can't beat their support. And we have two laptops, three phones and an iPad wirelessly connected to our Laserjet. HPSmart is a great monitor and statusing program.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:42 AM
Tanque

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
Man after my own heart. I also use Photoshop and refuse to go with the pay as you go. I upgraded to CS2 years ago and have successfully transferred it to Windows 8 and 10, without Adobe support because they just don't anymore. I also have GIMP. It seems to have all the capabilities of Photoshop but I just feel more comfortable with Photoshop. But GIMP should work for you.

As far as printers I am an HP man. Inkjets and Laserjet. Can't beat their support. And we have two laptops, three phones and an iPad wirelessly connected to our Laserjet. HPSmart is a great monitor and statusing program.
I used to be an HP man but was burned twice by them. First time was in the early 1990s (pre- 'net as we know it now) when I'd purchased a Laserjet III and a Laserjet Fax unit. The Laserjet III was built like a tank
and weighed about as much as well as consumed power like there was no tomorrow. Every time I printed something my lights would blink and the line voltage dropped for a second. ( I even got an electrician involved to check out my wiring! ) I seem to recall that III was rated at over 700 watts when doing a print. The printer was incredibly reliable. I'd purchased it as a 'refurbished' unit and never once in the years I had it did it fail. I gave it to a friend who used it for years after when I decided to go to a color inkjet. The issue was the Laserjet fax unit: a year and a half after I got it the phone system went digital and guess what Mr Fax stopped working. HP gave zero support; they essentially washed their hands of it so I had an instant $750 paperweight.... I was disappointed. Second time was just before I got my current Samsung when I had a HP Color Laserjet, a wireless connected printer. The problem was reliability and the wireless card which kept going out every year almost to the day.I replaced it 3 times. I went on the HP user forum and there was truly 90+ pages of complaints about this card issue. HP refused any meaningful support beyond " Send us your printer and we'll let you buy a new one at 15% off retail." No thanks. That's when I switched to Samsung. Other that a failed sensor internal switch I was able to replace it has worked very well. I just want better image prints for things that I was to use right off the printer.

I've already begun to use GIMP and so far I like it. Once I'm more familiar with it I'll probably only use my old LView as a last resort for functions I can't figure out on GIMP.

I'll poke around on printers. I'd like a wireless one if possible so I can stick it somewhere there's space and I really only expect to use it for images. My concern is with older inkjets I had is you've got to use them fairly regularly or the spray nozzles get 'crudded' up - is that still the case? It was a rock and hard place. either you use the printer frequently and burn through your ink or save the ink and gum up the printer...

Jerry