Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Old 02-01-2023, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

Hello everyone. New here and new to RC 1/16 tanks.

Picked up a couple used Taigen metal IR version tanks for what I think was good deal at $600 for both. One is the Late Tiger 1 and the other is the 76 Sherman.
Hoping I can get some ideas on improving the sound and or electronics. The Tiger operation is all working however the Sherman gearbox must be stripped. Won't move but the gears are spinning. Removed sprocket to see if outer shaft turns without load. Turned but with any resistance stopped with gears still spinning.
It appears to have the newer V2 gearbox. Should I replace it with another V2 or go with the newer V3. Or something else?
Pardon my ignorance and thanks for any help.

Paul
Old 02-01-2023, 02:52 PM

Received 218 Likes on 176 Posts

Sounds like the Sherman gearbox is doing what my old ZTZ gearbox did. The final drive gear is press fit on the output shaft that mounts the sprocket on some of these gearboxes. The knurling on the output shaft can wear down and then the gear literally just spins on the output shaft under load. I fixed the gearbox by drilling and tapping a set screw in the gear collar and drilling a shallow hole on the output shaft to mate with the set screw. At least that's what I remember doing. You could pin the two together with a roll pin by drilling a hole straight through the final output shaft and the gear collar.

Others might have an opinion of which gearbox is better as I don't think I have either one.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the information. I think I just want to replace it. Not sure the best gear set to put in. I know it has to be the short shaft version.

Sound on it not great either. Not sure if it's just the speaker.

I like the recoil action and light flash. Have seen videos of the gun smoking when sending a round. Not sure how to make that happen.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:29 AM

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

Welcome aboard, it's always good to see new members. As for your gearboxes, I would go with the v2, with the black steel gears and the bearings on all the shafts. I have a set of the V3 and I have to say I don't really care for them that much. I think the V2 is the best set of gearboxes for the money right now.

As for the smoking barrel, that's kind of a new thing that recently came out but it shouldn't be difficult to retrofit in just about any tank. It's just a question of adding the tubing and the additional smoke unit. That's something I plan to do to several of my tanks when I get to it, but right now I have so many projects waiting on the shelf that I doubt I'll live long enough to finish them all.
The following users liked this post:
Caddywompas (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 08:44 AM

Received 383 Likes on 241 Posts

When you buy from taigen get the v2 like cribs said and make sure you select the 45 mm shaft length.

Good luck and post some photos.
The following users liked this post:
Caddywompas (02-02-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 02:48 PM

Is the Torro gearbox for Sherman listed on Motion RC website the same as the Taigen V2 gearbox for sherman?

SKU: TOR1383898015

Torro 1/16 Scale USA M4A3 Sherman Gear Drive Box Set

vendor Motion RC

Taigen Tanks Steel Ball Bearing V2 Gearboxes

VendorTaigen Tanks
Old 02-03-2023, 04:42 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddywompas
Is the Torro gearbox for Sherman listed on Motion RC website the same as the Taigen V2 gearbox for sherman?

SKU: TOR1383898015

Torro 1/16 Scale USA M4A3 Sherman Gear Drive Box Set

vendor Motion RC

Taigen Tanks Steel Ball Bearing V2 Gearboxes

VendorTaigen Tanks
If I were a betting man which I'm not I would say no, but honestly I do not know.. They may have a completely different mounting pattern. Your best bet would be to get the V2 from Taigen, you will at least know they will fit because they are designed for Taigen Tanks.Besides I checked the prices and the Taigen are cheaper anyway. I don't know all what you need for your tank, but if you spend $100 it is free shipping. I have been a few dollars short at times and just picked up extras to cross that threshold, spend a couple more bucks to save $15/$20

Last edited by Rebellion13; 02-03-2023 at 04:46 PM.