Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

WPL B14 electronics upgrade?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

WPL B14 electronics upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 09:30 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default WPL B14 electronics upgrade?

I know a few on here have upgraded the electronics on these. I have found a 30amp esc for under $10 and wondering if I should get it with or without "brakes". My son's esc bought the farm and burned up. Also I have looked at the dasmikro and boy they went up in price, might be better to just get the wpl with the diesel sound kit for the price of a new esc and the dasmikro. Any tips or what some of you have done would be greatly appreciated. I want to keep it cheap since this is not on a future upgrade list for now, I just want to get it going for him.

Thanks
Wade

Last edited by Rebellion13; 03-01-2023 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:11 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

If it were me I would just go ahead and get the upgraded board. The kit only cost $40, comes with the transmitter and the new board and the speaker, and then it not only gives you sound but also turn signals and it has a circuit to add a winch. That's the circuit I used to power the ramps on my tank Hauler Trailer. It still looks and feels kind of toy-like but it actually performs rather well.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:40 PM
Rebellion13

Originally Posted by Crius
If it were me I would just go ahead and get the upgraded board. The kit only cost $40, comes with the transmitter and the new board and the speaker, and then it not only gives you sound but also turn signals and it has a circuit to add a winch. That's the circuit I used to power the ramps on my tank Hauler Trailer. It still looks and feels kind of toy-like but it actually performs rather well.
Thanks Gary, I will probably go that route, if I didn't go with sound, I would most likely go with the cheap esc. I am tied up with two sherman builds so just want to get his truck running. My son comes running in and says dad my truck is smoking, I told him that is a diesel for ya lol.

Thanks
Wade
Old 04-08-2023, 07:10 AM
Rebellion13

Alright next question? So I have the upgraded board w/sound, everything went fine, I installed a real servo for steering everything A-ok, except that when my son drives it and stops it will then not move forward, he has to reverse it then go forward, the sounds indicate accelerating shifting etc but it will not move forward, ......sometimes it works after reversing sometimes it doesn't. ( I do not not have the upgraded gear box/shift) installed but that should not be the issue or should it? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Wade

Last edited by Rebellion13; 04-08-2023 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:49 AM
Crius

It's been quite a while since I drove one of these so I'm not entirely positive but I believe you have to hit reverse twice when you go from forward to reverse. Does your controller have Servo reverse for the throttle channel? If it does, I think I might try reversing the servo and see if that makes the transition from forward to reverse any smoother, and if it does you would then just have to reverse the polarity at the motor. But, that's only if you can reverse the throttle channel. Some video of how it's acting would be a great help.
Old 04-10-2023, 07:01 AM
Rebellion13

I will try and get up a video soon, I might not have explained the issue properly. When my son is driving it and lets off the throttle and it comes to a stop, then gives it throttle again it just sits there. When he reverses then tries forward it will work…sometimes… other times it will just sit there idling and not move forward or reverse. I have the proper voltage of 7.4 for it. The original board burned out and I am beginning to wonder if there is binding in the axle and that is what caused the original board to fail and now it is causing issues with the new board. I still have the original 180 motor in it and it states to use the caps for it, but that is usually for interference with the sound and not movement of the vehicle. Just kind of scratching my head on this.

Thanks
Wade
Old 04-10-2023, 07:56 AM
Crius

It's too bad you don't have another set so you could try a different controller and see if it still acts the same way. I think if it was me I would go ahead and buy another set, they're only $40, just to figure out what the problem is. I'd offer to send you one of my sets, but postage there and back would be more than half the cost of a new set anyway. Are you planning on building any other trucks in the future? If you are, it might be worth it to buy a new set now just so you have a fresh controller to try out.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:39 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I've had that happen with some cheaper brushless ESCs I've had. Are there any programing functions on the ESC as in a button anywhere on it? Some of them have a reverse lockout type function that doesn't allow you to reverse until it comes to a stop.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:43 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tankme
I've had that happen with some cheaper brushless ESCs I've had. Are there any programing functions on the ESC as in a button anywhere on it? Some of them have a reverse lockout type function that doesn't allow you to reverse until it comes to a stop.
That is indeed the problem he is having. He has the Brake of the ESC activated. In the WPL's manual should be well explained how to deactivate it.
Old 04-11-2023, 02:36 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
That is indeed the problem he is having. He has the Brake of the ESC activated. In the WPL's manual should be well explained how to deactivate it.
The original burned out so the one he has now is a replacement which is not the same as the WPL as I understand what he said earlier.
Old 04-11-2023, 05:08 PM
Rebellion13

Correct, this is the new version board with sound. Not sure if it has a drag brake or not, I will have to research that. It stops no problem but when attempting to go forward again it just sits there and makes the sounds (speaker) like it is going. And there are times if it is reversed after stopping then forward it actually moves….. other times it doesn’t reverse or forward. I might end up ordering another truck anyway and also another sound board like I have to see if the other one I order has the same issue
Old 04-15-2023, 09:31 AM
Rebellion13

I ordered another board w/sound, a wpl M35 6x6 and the two speed transmission. My son wanted the 6x6 but at the time right before Christmas they only had the 4x4. So I will get the new one together and hopefully everything will be ok. And if it is I am going to still try and figure out what the issue is with the other truck. If I have the same issue with this one, then it is either a defect in the same batch, which I doubt or it is user error (most likely) lol. Thanks gents for the responses.

Cheers,
Wade

Last edited by Rebellion13; 04-15-2023 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-28-2023, 05:45 PM
Rebellion13

I finally got around to installing the new second board into my sons new truck and everything is working fine. When I have some time I will bind the new remote to the first board to see if the issue is the remote. If it doesn’t solve the issue then I will look into it further