Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

1/8 Backyard Armor Abrams

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/8 Backyard Armor Abrams

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 07:47 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1/8 Backyard Armor Abrams

This is one big hunk of metal. Once the Vantec and batteries were onboard it his the scales at 176, making the 21st century one feel light. The detail is amazing, like a giant scale Tamiya. I removed allot of things to refurb them so you might notice some blank spots here and there. That will be fixed. my favorite detail is the chemical agent alarm because I used to be a Nuke Bio Chem guy. It is amazing to watch the two wheel chair motors move that thing around at about 20Mph, most of all in dirt, it really leaves it's mark. I need to go snap some pics of the vantec hookup. Right now I just have the propulsion and turret rotation hooked up. I need to get some more ESCs for the details like barrel movement and commander's copulla. I also need to invest in a good sound module.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:03 PM
tomzag
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/8 Backyard Armor Abrams

HOw much is this baby? was this one from ebay about $1500? congrats. thanks for the pictures.

this tank has m1a2 has m1a1 copula, need to be fixed.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:20 PM
edoubleaz

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice looking track. Careful about the gun tube, you have it mounted upside down. M-1A2s don't usually have the spare on the turret face either.

Are you going to have it fire anything? Airsoft perhaps? That gun tube looks to good to not use.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:20 PM
hpiguy

Awesome man! Nice machine.

For 800 bucks I can see you got a nice tank so far. Glad you snatched it up so we can all see one now. Can't wait for video.

But for the approx $3,000+ for a brand new one I think it's overpriced for what you get. But it's just my opinion.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:01 PM
subarubrat

The barrel wasn't screwed down in the first photo, you can see it is right in the 2nd one. I plan on using .45 cal blanks in this one. The price is REALLY steep for what you get if you buy directly, if this were a mass produced item. Right at $5k if you buy it and have it shipped to you. The chief shortcoming is that you get a MSC and not an ESC! But when you consider the time it takes to make one and how few you can make in a month, and then break it down into a per-hour wage you can see where the money is. Still, I would not pay that much for one. I outfitted mine with a proportional ESC, and a few other goodies and used a few ESCs (for turret functions) I had laying around (still have to get them from the basement and install them) and made it right at 2k total cost.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good to me.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:08 PM
hdbint

That thing is nice. Do you have it up and going yet?
Old 08-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Ben2006

Very nice looking Tank...Nice Modern Spray on it....Cant wait for Video as well..GoodWork!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:18 PM
caragan1970

If you are looking for a good turbine sound module for your M1, Ted used the 21 century 1/9 RC M1A2.

see here: http://www.foxflier.com/abrams/index.htm

The video demo is a must see.

Patrick C
Old 08-09-2006, 07:45 PM
navspook

Looks like you got yourself a great deal all around. I checked into BYA's products (I believe the M1 is made in Hong Kong, right?). They were talking nearly $5k at the time.

I'd like to pick one up sometime but for now I'm having fun with my 1/8 KT. (That is, when I have the time to play with tanks).

What kind of motors does it use? Pittmans?

How about the hull and turret materials? Thanks for sharing....
Old 08-09-2006, 10:38 PM
schutzstaffel

lucky man
Old 08-11-2006, 10:11 AM
M60MAN

[quote]ORIGINAL: edoubleaz

Nice looking track. Careful about the gun tube, you have it mounted upside down. M-1A2s don't usually have the spare on the turret face either.

dosent matter whiether it is m1 m1a1 or m1a2 they all could have road wheels on the turret. and this tank is an m1a2e you can tell by the sight by in front of the loaders hatch
Old 08-11-2006, 10:37 AM
CapnCrunch43

The mounting location for the spare roadwheel on an M1/M1A1 is just in front of the raised area and plate for the future commander's periscope(M1A2) on top of the turret. There should be some bolts for mounting it there. Once the M1A2 came out, and the periscope was installed, I would think they put it somewhere else, but not sure where.

During Desert Storm, we had two spare roadwheels and mounted them on the sides of the bustle rack in back, and didn't even use the original mounting location.

Nice tank. Is this the one where you were riding it, Subarubrat?