Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Special Effects Design

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Tanker447

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special Effects Design

Okay, Tankers! I have just completed a design for an exploding building (non-lethal) special effect. It is untested as of yet - I plan to build a prototype hopefully this week and conduct some tests. I would like to share this with all Tankers here to see if someone may want to build a prototype and test also. With a few good minds working on this we may come with something workable that would add a dimension of realism to an outdoor battleground.

Or, maybe someone has already perfected something like this, if so, I missed it!

Here is a link to a page on my website with diagrams, feel free to print and do with as you like = hopefully improve upon the idea.

http://www.sheridangraphics.com/fx_tank.htm

Edited to add pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20395.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	496556  
Old 07-25-2006, 02:24 AM
schutzstaffel

Default RE: Special Effects Design

that is great idea! [&:]
Old 07-25-2006, 09:58 AM
shelden3

I'm thinking a simple spring loaded trigger mechanism maybe a door lock actuator would work? Then using an IR receiver someone with some skill in electronics coudl work this pretty simply. I used to dabble in electronics but I bet there is something that could be cheaply. Would love to see some video of it in action.

Charlie
Old 07-25-2006, 12:02 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although the idea of the building collapsing due to a round hitting it sounds really cool, I might be more interested in making one that would collapses when physically bumped by a tank, during battle. Or, it might be pretty cool to have a building set up to fall when triggered by a player (servo, receiver and battery) or on a 5 minute timer, during battle.

Ha! Knowing my own luck, I would be hiding behind that building in my little Sherman when it fell down and I would have to scramble away from two King Tigers! [X(]

Very cool idea, Tanker 447.[sm=thumbup.gif]

Jason
Old 07-25-2006, 01:46 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

I think the idea is grand!!!!!!!!!

There is a company on the web that can make custom IR interactive Buildings..and after so many shots the lights turn on and off and I think a smoke generator kicks on ....

-Jason... I just prefer to move the building out of the way with my KT and find you ducking your sherman behind the "sheep"
heheehehehee

-Tomas[>:]
Old 07-25-2006, 03:28 PM
icecreamslick

Old 07-25-2006, 11:17 PM
nemesis4u

OK guys....Jason listen up!!!!!!!!!
Here is a link to what I was describing..
http://www.customrc.com/customrcdesign/pix3_large.htm
Simulate battle by firing infrared "shells" at all Tamiya tanks equipped with the battle system from your own tank or other R/C models. Plug into any unused receiver channel or use "Y" adapter. All scored "hits" inflicted on your R/C model and detected by our customized apple receiver will provide very realistic visual effects. Optional audio effects and model disabling/enabling features are available. Maximum infrared range of 98 ft (30meters).

Targets are re-designed Apple compatible. See products page for operational features.
http://www.customrc.com/customrcdesign/Customs.htm
Currently two targets are available for your 1/16th R/C Tiger1, Sherman, Pershing, King Tiger and Monster Tank.
Freight train car - O scale ( Ask about other scales )
Military headquarters building *
Includes Apple receiver, visual display, sound effects module, *power amplifier and speaker
Optional flash module
Completely assembled. Airbrush finished.
TECH NOTES:
http://www.customrc.com/customrcdesign/technotes.htm
Please call or E-mail for pricing E-mail: [email protected]

__________________________________________________ ______________
Old 07-25-2006, 11:21 PM
nemesis4u

OR EVEN BETTER YET....HOW ABOUT ONE THAT CAN RETURN FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://pages.cthome.net/chioc/halftrack.htm Halftrack

http://pages.cthome.net/chioc/88mmat.htm 88mmAT
Contact Nick at www.tankhobby.com for one of these beauties!!!!!!! He sells the electronics ..you add the GUNS!!!!!!!!!!

How creative!!!!!! Man.... ooops what did I do... Everyone...resist the urge...put your wallets down....walk away from the phone and computer.... (ah ..what the Heck.....just order it...you know you won't sleep tonite until you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

-Tomas
Old 07-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Tanker447

I figured someone out there would have come up with something for IR. Maybe a club could afford to buy a few ready made pretty buildings and accessories like those!

For a poor HL guy, the make-the-building-yourself out of cardboard, a few balloons, pins and some paint could still have a very active battlefield. The buildings would be re-useable (unless it rains) and a bag of flour would last a long time. Wouldn't you know, all of a sudden my work load has better than doubled - gotta get some time to get to building some prototypes. Another good thing about the cardboard design would be that they collapse for storage and transportation.

Great research work going on here! Keep 'em comming!
Old 07-26-2006, 01:26 AM
schutzstaffel

that pak 88mm
wow ![X(] i like her 4 legs
just the die cast must be expensive !?
Old 07-29-2006, 02:37 AM
Tanker447

Well, I had a little time today so I started hacking away at a cardboard box, found a bag of balloons (turned out to be very very small ones) and tried it out.
What I found was that the plastic BB just doesn't have the kinetic energy to push the cardboard flap hard enough to puncture the balloon. The weight of the BB is only around 12-15 grams, so even though it hits the cardboard with enough force to dent it, there just isn't enough mass to follow through. The cardboard flap absorbs the energy and, although it does push the flap, it is just not enough to push the pin into the balloon.
I have read somewhere that you can get BB's up to 20 or more grams. I don't know if that will be enough to do the job. On a more positive note, it doesn't take much more energy to do the trick. And when the balloon bursts it does send the flour "smoke" flying out all the box cutouts - looks pretty darn good!. I will try resting the pin on the balloon in a test tomorrow, I think that way the energy will go directly to the balloon without the "travel" shown in the original design.

I'm also thinking that it would not be that hard to make a "strike plate" switch which could be used to electrically actuate the effect. I'm thinking this one through now and will post any progress as I can. If anyone else is trying this please post your findings.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:58 AM
shelden3

What are you using for a pin? Maybe with something that is small in dia and super sharp it might work? Was thinking maybe a straight pin for sewing? Trick might be to keep the tension of the cardboard/pin from not puncturing then I suppose.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:09 AM
icecreamslick

Maybe if the flap in the cardboard were cut so that the "hinged" side was on bottom, it would work better. You could attach the pin as well as a lead weight to the flap and let gravity help you pop the balloon. As long as the cardboard is a snug fit against the moving part it will stay up, but when the projectile hits it there should be enough energy transfer to put the flap in motion.

I'm glad the flour thing worked out..........it would be interesting to see. [sm=thumbup.gif] Maybe when you get it all perfected, you can make a short video clip.

Jason
Old 07-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Tanker447

See! Get the great minds here working and solutions abound! Great idea! Now, why didn't I think of that! Ever since I started thinking about this all kinds of new and interesting ideas have been bouncing around in my head. But first things first! I'll try the weighted flap idea today and as shelden3 mentioned - he is probably right in that I am not using a straight pin but was using a nail (small brad). The weight of the nail was probably counter-productive in trying to push the flap up, but would be an advantage if the flap is pushed down!

By the way, since this is a prototype, I haven't spent much time on aesthetics, but I did put a coating of Stonewall on the front of the box.
During my test firing yesterday I found that the BB hits the plaster like covering with enough force to chip the coating off the box!! If I under coat with paint the visual effect would be convincing damage to the building.

Well, I'm off to experiment with the above suggestions!
Old 07-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a cool idea.

Anyone think of alternatives to flour? Maybe some powdered ashes from a fireplace or anything darker like powdered Tempera paint (black, grey) would look more like a burning explosion.

-Harq

Old 07-30-2006, 03:35 AM
Tanker447

There could be a few different effects determined by the color. I picked flour because it kind of replicates the dust kicked up by a shell hitting a building, but other things might work like ashes as you suggested. Fireplace ashes could work real well I would think. I got called away today (visitors from out of town - relatives)! The typical summer string of long lost relatives coming to the coast on vacation...that's what I get for living so close to the Pacific! I hope to get some more testing done today (its 1:30 am here).

When I get my paintball shooter there won't be any problem in kicking up some dust, but the little BB's are a challenge. But, I am encouraged, as the popping balloon does a good job kicking flour up into the air. I'll report in the early PM today if all goes well.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:27 AM
Tanker447

IT WORKS! Thanks to Icrecreamslick's suggestion! A little cumbersome to set up, but with the weighted flap and pin device set to fall down on the balloon instead of being pushed into the balloon it works great. The balloon popped after two BB shots to dislodge the flap hanger and POW! Flour dust came out of the window cutouts just fine (don't try this in the house!). Now all that is left is to try to work out a little more sophisticated flap and pin latch and some sort of tray for the flour that will be even more affected by the air burst - It is a good start and I'm sure it will lead to even better devices to do more varied effects. I don't have a video camera but I will post an updated drawing and some photos when I get the "building" a little more presentable - right now it just looks like a cardboard box with rectangle cut-outs.

Now, if someone can figure out a way to pump the balloon full of smoke.... or maybe put the flour in the balloon?

My wife is now convinced that I've gone completley over the edge! The dog and cat stay as far away from me as they can get!
Old 07-31-2006, 04:48 AM
Killhammer

You could use a small funnel to get the flour into the balloon before you inflated it.

Jeff