Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

In a bit of a quandry

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In a bit of a quandry

Good afternoon all,

I am new to this malarky and could do with a few pointers on which tank to buy.

I think I want a Abrams 1/24 scale tank in desert storm colours - probably airsoft. Although I would quite like a bigger 1/16 scale tank, but can't find a decent modern tank. I ldefinitely prefer the modern tanks anyway.

My key quandries are:
- What is the difference between VS Tanks and Mariu battle tanks - which is best?
- Do either of the above tank ranges have variable speed control rather than just stop/start?
- Are Heng Long tanks really that bad?
- I have seen some spiffing videos of the VS tanks, these recoil on firing and look very realistic. Do Mariu tanks do that?
- The controllers look strange, I am used to 2 channel stick radio gear, are they as good?
- Is ebay a good place to buy a VS/Mariu - or are the tanks advertised on there imitations? There are not quite the range of suppliers here the UK, and what there are seem very expensive eg Mariu 1/24 Tiger 1 battle tank is $374 / MAriu 1/24 RTR R/C BB M1A2 is $280
- are there any other options that I should consider (Tamiya too expensive at this point in time, Leopard 2 A6 MBT is $1,174 basic)

I look forward to hearing your opinions on the above subject matter,

Kind regards

James
Old 08-01-2006, 09:00 AM

Default RE: In a bit of a quandry

Hi James,

CaptainB here.........I have 6 Heng Long RC tanks now and love em all..........just waiting for the walker bulldog
to be delivered.......I can't speak for the Marui kits but the HL's are great value for money, providing you don't mind doing a bit of work on them...........Tamiya's are great but too expensive (for me anyway)..........check out Tankzone or mark1bbguns for the range available.............

Tally ho

CaptB
Old 08-01-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Modern tank, truely proportional control, 16th scale and 'decent' well the Tamiya Leopard 2A6 is the only contender satisfying all these and it can be purchased for about 800 dollars on Ebay.

The next satisfing your criteria may be the Hen long Walker Bulldog or the M1A1 by RipMax.

The 24th scale moderns (VStanks) are quite good in quality and function for their size and price.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 AM

Welcome! Since you're interested in a 1/24 scale Abrams, you must do yourself a favor by looking into getting either a VS or Marui Abrams. Avoid, at all cost, the Hen Long 1/24 scale version of the Abrams and Leopard (the six wheel version). Although many modelers are happy with Hen Long's 1/16 scale tanks, Hen Long's 1/24 scale Abrams and Leopard tanks are completely unreliable and poor copies of their Marui counterparts. Some inaccuracies are six road wheels as opposed to seven. Brittle plastic, cheap oily treads, weak gun and transmission. VS is very good. Marui is the gold standard. VS buys the major components from Marui and assembles them into quality models of the Abrams and Leopard. As of now, they are not one and the same. If you look at their Leopards, there are differences in scale details. Go with the VS, a blend of quailty and price. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 AM

was in the same dilemma when i was shopping for a cheap rc tank($$).
marui-vs or heng long ???

i agree with sownare, in the 1:24 scale tanks,
go for vs or marui.

decided to take the h.l. 1:16 tigers, and i am satisfied with them.

if you want better quality ,
go for tamyia`s $$$ or armortek $$$$