Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Thinking of getting a Tamiya Tiger I

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Thinking of getting a Tamiya Tiger I

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Aramis76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a Tamiya Tiger I

Hi all,

I'm getting into R/C tanks and initially wanted a Leo, but have decided on the Tiger 1 for a first tank.

It seems popular but I can't find as much info on it as other models.

For example, stella models lists metal tracks for it, but no bearing kits, backyard armor mentions they carry the new kits with a better gearbox (what are the issues, and how can you tell from looking at the box?)

Any info would be appreciated...

Mainly, i'm looking at metal tracks and full bearings during initial build, the rest of the stuff i'll add later (I have to keep a budget on this project)

Thanks for your help.

Marc
Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
James S.

Default RE: Thinking of getting a Tamiya Tiger I

I asked the very same question about bearings for a Tiger 1 (its sitting in the corner I cannot have it till christmas) Apparently the suspension is differant and the bushings are too small to replace with bearings. I talked to some experanced Tiger drivers and none of them have any complaints about this fact. Having to keep a budget sucks but instead of metal tracks have you considered the recoil upgrade from wecohe?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:52 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know where you can get the bearings, but you can buy these metal tracks for your Tiger 1 and they even come with a metal barrel, if you so choose:

http://cgi.ebay.com/METAL-TRACK-SET-...QQcmdZViewItem

They are MUCH less expensive than the other sets! [sm=thumbup.gif] They are from Stella, but I don't know if they are the same price as what you have seen before.

Jason
Old 11-30-2006, 04:37 PM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc,

As far as the gear boxes are concerned, I don't think you can tell just by the part number. If you can see the gear boxes, the newer have black covers (removed in my picture-left side). They are more durable and slow the tank down by about 30%, but it is still too fast for a Tiger. This should not be a real problem unless you planning to run it in battles with people who are concerned about 'scale' speed.

We run quite a few tigers in our club and most are stock. The metal tracks are nice, but can add strain to the entire drive train. You might want to try the stock tracks first. Some people love the suspension upgrade from wechoe, but its is a bit expensive. The metal barrel can be nice because you don't have to be as concerned with sanding the seam away from the plastic barrel. I had issues with the seam and the recoil unit that took me a while to figure out.

I will be adding Daryl Turners Track Tensioner (from ETO Armor $60). Stock tensioners have been giving me trouble, and Daryl's look much simpler and reliable.

Kevin O'Connor
<S.C.A.T.?

www.socalareatankers.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61425.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	569461  
Old 11-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Leo2A6 Owner

the "newer or better" gearboxes come in all tamiya tigers now. They are the ones with the black plastic covers. 1st generation gearboxes didnt have those covers and had a different gear arrangement. Those boxes would torque and self destruct over time. If you do get the metal tracks for the kit it is HIGHLY ADVISEABLE that you put a rubber bush around the rear idler/tensioner axel or there is a 95-99% chance it WILL shear one of the axels from the tension and added weight of the metal tracks. The suspension overall is very good and very rugged. personally i dont believe it needs any kind of enhancement. Personally the added expense of the "UPGRADES" for the recoil and suspension arent really that important and what they do add to the model is barely noticeable at best. IF What you pay for those upgrades and what you get in the end is worth it is up to you.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Aramis76

Thanks guys! much appreciated..
Old 12-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Chow_Hound

I have Daryl's idler system in my Tiger I and they are working great. I also have the suspension upgrade from wechoe. I have no complaints with this kit and it performs beautifully. You will not be dissappointed.