Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Meantime

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:51 AM
ah64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meantime

Anyway While I caint seem to figure out what is going on with my pictures I posted, I will ask a Question. I know some of you guys are using a 4 channel radio with the left stick and right stick controlling either motor independantly. I was thinking of using a V tail mixer instead, But Though I understand how to connect the Esc's into the Mixer my Q is should I power my RX with a RX battery pack. NI-Mh or Ni-cd not alkiline, I dont know if the V-tail can handle that. I have 2x 7.2 V battery packs and 2x Esc's. I want each motor to have its own power supply. I dont think I need to use the BEC off the esc's Right? As long as I power the RX with its own Battery. Wiring gets confusing sometimes, I just wanted to double check myself before I did anything. Any Infomation?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:44 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Meantime

AH64

The only thing to watch out for when using an independant Rx pack with ESC's is to clip or otherwise disconnect the RED lead (its Red on Futaba, not sure of others)

With more modern J-series type leads, you simply depress the center piece ~gently~ ( this is the clip that holds the lead-cionnector in the plug) and then give a gentle tug on the lead wire. If it won't come out, you haven't depressed the clip enough. I've found the end of a small paperclip or fine flat screwdriver the best for this. Once withdrawn, pop a small bit of heatshrink over it, because you may want to put it back in at some point later, and then repeat for the other ESC. Now your ESC's are isolated from the Receiver.

As for using the mixer, its plugged into the Rx and then to the ESC's, right?

In this case you'll want to do this procedure on the leads between the mixer and and the ESC's. TYhis is the same place as before, as these same leads would normally go directly into the Rx. If you do this procedure between Rx and Mixer, your mixer will be seeing power from both ESC's, and be making an electrical connection between them that you've tried to sever.

I've never tried this, but I hope to get a few mixers to utilise a few old Futaba ESC's I have laying about instead of my prized Tamiya DMD T-01's.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:14 AM
bullyhys

ORIGINAL: ah64

Anyway While I caint seem to figure out what is going on with my pictures I posted, I will ask a Question. I know some of you guys are using a 4 channel radio with the left stick and right stick controlling either motor independantly. I was thinking of using a V tail mixer instead, But Though I understand how to connect the Esc's into the Mixer my Q is should I power my RX with a RX battery pack. NI-Mh or Ni-cd not alkiline, I dont know if the V-tail can handle that. I have 2x 7.2 V battery packs and 2x Esc's. I want each motor to have its own power supply. I dont think I need to use the BEC off the esc's Right? As long as I power the RX with its own Battery. Wiring gets confusing sometimes, I just wanted to double check myself before I did anything. Any Infomation?
Ah64

If it helps:

I use DUAL ESCs that are designed for tracked vehicles, all have the mixing done onboard the ESC and if you wish you can disable the mixing function with the removal of a jumper or a switch selection.

The Dual ECS are as follows ANT150 (My sdkfz 251 halftrack) which can handle 1-2amps, the Scorpion HX which can handle 4 to 6 amps I currently have this unit in my HL Tiger1 (Turret 931) and a Sabretooth 10RX (My Ferdanand, 4motors, 2 per track) which can handle 10-18amps. all my rides are using 4ch radios

Regards,

bullyhys
Old 12-10-2006, 10:48 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Whoops...

I assumed standard single RC Car type ESC. guess my outdoor offroad electric racing experience shows. Thanks for filling in the blank Bully.

Having compared the prices and specs, for a 1/16 I'd personally choose a Sabretooth, having just found a listing for it myself here in Canada. Greater amp draw overall, and it would concievably even run a 1/2 or even a 1/6 Stuart. I've asked willy if he's bought one, and if he hasn't, if he will get one for test-comparisoin as he has used Scorpions.

I may have to pick one up after Xmas and test it out in both my Pershing and my DX Blizzard snowcat (the older twin-380 model) If it'll survive wide-tracks in the snow, it should be good for near anything we can give it in 1/16, including metal tracks.