Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

rc tanks which one to get

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

rc tanks which one to get

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 04:46 PM
paulino966

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc tanks which one to get

im trying to buy a rc tank for the first time,which is a good reliable and most parts available to buy,heard alot of bad things about hen long,and alot of of good things about VS tanks.thanks any info is welcomed
Old 12-09-2006, 05:24 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: rc tanks which one to get

VS good but 1/24 Hen Long's 1/16 walker bulldog is there best tank from owning all the 1/16 HL tanks i love the bulldog best!
But if you get a HL make sure it's smoke and sound!
If you don't want to do any work on the tanks go with a VS
Old 12-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends what scale you want. 1/24 or 1/16 and how much "tinkering" you want to do.

I've got a HL 1/16 Tiger which is one of the most troublesome tanks out there (guess that makes it more life like) but I love it and after much tinkering I've managed to sort out all its little problems. The newer HL's are better then the old ones, but if you wait a few months then you can get a Pz III which looks amazing and may be even better then the Bulldog.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:41 PM
paulino966

thanks for the input guys,just wondering where i can find info on this new pzIII
Old 12-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's an earlier post about it
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4642915/tm.htm]Click[/link]

and this-

[link=http://rctankhq.com/world_tank_hq.htm]Click[/link]
Old 12-09-2006, 11:29 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The words "tank" and "reliable" do not go together. This is as true for the scale models as it is for the real ones. However, Heng Long tanks are hard to beat for the bang for the buck. You can customize them to your hearts and wallets content or just leave them as stock. The VS and Tokyo Marui 1/24 tanks are praised as very well made products but it does seem that aftermarket items for them are not as plentiful. Then of course you have the Tamiya 1/16 tank kits that you have to build.

IMO, the Heng Longs are great introductory tanks, the American ones being more reliable because of their superior suspension designs. The Tiger tends to break and throw tracks until you do some mods and dump the plastic tracks for metal ones. Pick the one you want and enjoy!

A word of advice: If you do opt for a Heng Long, spend the money up front and get a smoke and sound version tank with metal gearboxes and tracks. You'll only want to add them later.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:58 AM
ah64

ORIGINAL: swathdiver
A word of advice: If you do opt for a Heng Long, spend the money up front and get a smoke and sound version tank with metal gearboxes and tracks. You'll only want to add them later.

This is True I bought a HL and I love it. I have the M26 You might have seen my pics. The only real trouble at first was My tracks would "jump" at the front of the tank. All I had to do was sand inside the road wheels and anywhere it would "jump" and it runs smooth all the way around. But like swathdiver said get the S&S with metal gear boxes and metal tracks.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:04 AM
smalltime0

when i bought my HL tiger 1 i didnt have a choice, i could only get the non S&S one (pity, would have liked metal)

However im still more than happy about it (especially since i got it new for under $70 USD)

I only had one problem which is letting other people drive it, mine has those pre-programmable things on it that every1 i let have a go seem to touch, my own dad just about drove it over my tier out the front (it survived)
Old 12-10-2006, 06:18 PM
paulino966

thanks again i think i will go with vs tiger 1 hope its a good choice,any other input is welcomed
Old 12-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Rathead123

I have over 200 hours on a Henlong WalkerM41... still works great. Have rebushed the road wheels a couple times; seem to last 60 to 80 hours before wearing into the axel to the point the roadwheels fall off. But thats a lot of running. Everthing else works fine, gun still shoots, turrent rotates, elevation etc. Tracks stay on, its all good. On my 8th set of transmiter batterys, may convert it to a rechargeable system, oh well..
Old 12-11-2006, 03:46 AM
martin g

Yeh start off with heng Long, see if the novelty waers off, it it doesnt you can save for a Tamiya. I break things way too easily hence we got HL, if it get trashed, not a big deal. The Tamiya is soooo expensive here for a full option, to be honest I cant see why either, I work partly in material management so I have a feel for pricing against build costs etc, so from here, its way over priced for what it is. You can buy 4 petrol RC cars here for one Tamiya tank WITHOUT transmitter. [&o]
Old 12-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a good choice but I do recall someone here purchasing this same Tiger tank and not being too impressed with it. I don't like the limited functionality of these 1/24 tanks--that is, those push-button transmitters are cheesy.

Check the search function at the bottom of the forum's main page to find the relevant (1/24 Tiger) topics...

I think swathdiver made a very profound statement, the one about "tank" and "reliable" not going together. This is true and when you do make the effort to maintain your tank by replacing parts or whatnot, the only first-time RC tank that has those parts available in abundance are the HL 1/16 tanks.
This toy company is charging into uncharted realms with their recent releases and the upcoming Pz III. I think they shall be around for long time.

Just my humble opinion.
-Harq

ORIGINAL: paulino966

thanks again i think i will go with vs tiger 1 hope its a good choice,any other input is welcomed
Old 12-12-2006, 12:15 AM
paulino966

thanks for the input once again guys. i will do some more research on it, any more info is really welcomed.