Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Searchlights and Wireless Cameras

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Searchlights and Wireless Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:34 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Searchlights and Wireless Cameras

I need some help fellas. For the life of me I cannot find pictures of the round 18" searchlight that was used on the M46 and M41 in the 1950s. I remember seeing a member's picture of having made one to conceal his camera, I cannot find that picture either. I'm the internet search guru but this one has me beat! Anyone know where some pictures are?

I was originally planning to mount the camera inside the turret next to the airsoft unit. This camera has an infrared capability so I'm going to hide it in the round 18" GE searchlight that was used during the 1950s. I want it to look reasonably accurate. I have a photo of a couple of tanks with the brackets and no light, and I discovered that an empty pill bottle is the perfect diameter to place the camera inside.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

James
Old 12-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Harquebus

Default RE: Searchlights and Wireless Cameras

Hey swathdiver!

I think what you are looking for is on the German site: RC-Panzerketten-Forum. I've seen the searchlight mounted on some member's M-26. Look in the Pershing section, non-english speaking forum.

-Harq
Old 12-15-2006, 02:51 AM
swathdiver

Thanks Harq!

I went back to that site, I was looking through it last night, and came across a link to an Italian site with tank manuals on it. Perusing through that I found a good picture of the searchlight on an M47.

I tried to take some pictures today of all the little projects I have going but they didn't turn out and I didn't want to mess with my wife's camera. I found mine in the kids room, I';; try again tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:29 AM
chickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 books that i have should help but i dont know how to post pics so i cant help but the books are; armor in korea and armor in vietnam both by squadron/signal pub. inc . the korean i think is the better but the nam has an ontos with a light field fitted. this was never adopted ,the ontos elect. sys. wasnt meant for the load plus the back blast from the 106,s told everyone on the planet where ya were why not light yer ass up too
Old 12-15-2006, 06:42 AM
chickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found one more book armor of the vietnam war all the lights where covered and photoed from rear on arvn m41,s .their were lighters and shooters the lighters always kept their tracks in reverse and would zig zag 100 meters after the shooters opened up. if you where a lighter yer LT didnt like ya
Old 12-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Harquebus

Glad you found it Swathdiver, because I took a cursory glance over that site to try to find it again but had no luck. []

There's lots of recent activity over there so I figured the thread got pushed to the bottom so to speak.
Am interested in anything new you may have found on the subject.

-Harque
Old 12-17-2006, 01:18 AM
swathdiver

Thanks for the info Chickster. Harq, nothing new. The detailing is coming out nicely. I was thinking of making working shutters (this fabricating stuff is really fun when you have the right tools) but decided against it for now, lots of projects to do on the tank still and time is running short.

I tried 5 times to make the gun site that sits on top of the turret. Either I cut the brass crooked, make that 7 times, or I couldn't get the holes all lined up. I didn't want to buy a drill press just yet! Doing a search I found that Dremel has a new workstation/press for about $45! Just stick my dremel in there and pull the lever! Going to get that puppy tomorrow!

I decided to do more detail work then originally planned. Going to make all the tie downs and fender supports, and 360 turret ring now too.