Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HL Bulldog Gun and Treads

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL Bulldog Gun and Treads

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 12:00 PM
WECKY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL Bulldog Gun and Treads

My Bulldog cannon is weak only 10 12 ft at full elevation,is that normal?Also how do you secure loose track pins,one or two keep sticking out sometimes causing tread lockup,Thanks.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:15 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HL Bulldog Gun and Treads

Some guys put a dab of glue or paint on the end of the pin to keep it in place. As for the gun, performance is hit or miss. Yours is about average. You can place a slightly longer spring inside for a little more power. Search the forum for other options.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:21 PM
WECKY

Well...it's a nice tank,good looking and all, but airsoft guns should be able to shoot across the street 20-30 ft.Do you glue both sides of the tread pins?With what?Also the sound is a little weak.I know this is a bargain Tank,I guess what I'm really asking is"is that all there is?"Are these complaints/problems common for this Tank?Thanks.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Harquebus

I agree with the expected range of the airsoft gun. The HL tanks are nice and are getting better in quality, but I think the manufacturer sees the airsoft gun as more novelty than anything else so the gun unit ends up being of low quality. Perhaps the fact that the gun shoots period, (BB leaves barrel) is good enough.

But good news; the gun can be upgraded and replaced, even, with spares from several sources including Mato. Search the forum and you will find threads concerning airsoft gun upgrades.

You can glue the track pins in with superglue (or cyanoacrylate). Others have suggested rusting them in by soaking the tracks in a corrosive solution. I think that is the best method and the tracks look nice afterwards.

Excuse me if I'm being obvious, but the sound effects are adjustable for volume. Have you tried adjusting the control knob? My sound effects (Pershing) are decent but nothing to write home about.

These sorts of problems are rather common with HL tanks. I have had no troubles like the ones you suggest with the Pershing except for me overfilling the smoke oil reservoir (my own fault) and the common fault of miniscule smoke output (rectified by smoke gen disassembly). The BB gun is rather impressive especially in confined quarters. It goes "PFOOM" and "tick, tick, tick..." as the BB ricochets all over the room. I guess that kind of performance is atypical. Oh well.

-Harq
Old 12-19-2006, 07:12 PM
WECKY

Yes thanks,I'll turn the sound up,I think it's just weak.The gun is dissapointing.Take the treads off and soak in a salt solution(after placing them in the corect position?)Such a nice looking Tank,maybe I expected too much for a low price.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:52 PM
bhop73

For what it's worth.. my Bulldog barely shoots too.. sometimes the bb's just fall out of the end of the barrel.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:22 AM
ah64

I guess the fact that Kids will get these tanks from there parents and shoot at each other is a concern that the HL designers might have had in mind. Dont need Jhonny getting shot in the eye by his litle brother.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:36 AM
pantiger man

You should consider yourself lucky WECKY over here in Australia our bb systems are disabled.[:@]

But when i get my bulldog for chrissy that will change.

Kind regards pantigerman.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:32 PM
bhop73

ORIGINAL: ah64

I guess the fact that Kids will get these tanks from there parents and shoot at each other is a concern that the HL designers might have had in mind. Dont need Jhonny getting shot in the eye by his litle brother.
I seriously doubt that it was part of the master plan. MIne shoots hard sometimes, but other times falls flat. If it was planned, it would be weak all the time, not random. I think it's just a crappy system is all..
Old 12-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Harquebus

Need I remind you all that you should NEVER, I repeat never use the poor quality BB's that come with the Heng Long tanks?!! [:'(]

Excepting the ones that come with Super Version tanks from MatoToys (or anytime someone specifies there's better BB's included).

The ones that come in the little box inside the tank package are pretty worthless because they have bumps, mold seams and other imperfections that can jam your airsoft gun or make it operate poorly. Please invest in some other quality 6mm BB's either Flying Colors or the glow-in-the-dark Crosman BB's available from Wal-Mart for instance...

-Harq
Old 12-20-2006, 05:12 PM
WECKY

harq is the man,gun much better with good quality BBs,thanks.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Harquebus

I cannot really say for certain as I am repeating what another forum member suggested. I cannot recall who it was either but I believe he used some gun blue (which is actually a form of corrosion). Salt water would work although I'm not sure how quickly it would work. Could take days.

Take the treads off, soak, and then replace them on the tank. You are only rusting the metal pins so the plastic should not be harmed in any way. I'm not sure what you mean by positioning but possibly make sure they are completely assembled before you rust the pins.

They are nice tanks. But you get what you pay for. Admittedly some of the functions are somewhat poorly executed and the quality control at the factory is next to nil but I still like these for the value they represent. Cannot wait to get my hands on the new Panzer III.

ORIGINAL: WECKY

Yes thanks,I'll turn the sound up,I think it's just weak.The gun is dissapointing.Take the treads off and soak in a salt solution(after placing them in the corect position?)Such a nice looking Tank,maybe I expected too much for a low price.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Harquebus

Ah yes, here's the relevant thread (regarding rusting-in the track pins) with the answer from our very good friend Mr. Schutzstaffel:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4893862/tm.htm

-Harq
Old 12-20-2006, 07:02 PM
WECKY

Thanks again,think I'll just go with the crazy glue for now.The gun is better with good BBs and I turned up the sound,still kinda tinny but all and all much better.Do you have a link tothe new PIII
Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've just bought a VS airsoft gun and it shoots a lot harder then the HL one. After taking them both apart I've noticed that the only real difference is the spring, the VS spring is thicker then the one in the HL gun. So I've swapped springs and now my HL has some real punch.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:47 PM
swathdiver

The piston and nozzle are different too. Notice the difference in nozzle size and design of the piston head. If you want the hopup feature, swap out the breeches too.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:50 PM
Harquebus

Dude, search the FORUM!

Anyway, here goes:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5096857/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4642915/tm.htm
http://www.rctankhq.com/henglongpanzerIII.htm

But you're right, there's no link, no info on the Heng Long site since this is all hush-hush and it hasn't been released en masse to the market yet. Third URL is the best one though as it shows a review of a pre-production model.

Cheers,

-Harquebus

ORIGINAL: WECKY
Do you have a link tothe new PIII
Old 12-21-2006, 07:34 AM
martin g

Maybe im a minority but I actually couldnt care less about the BB gun. I always thougth is was a tacky add on. Mine are rarely switched on unless my son wants a quick blat at a wall. Its the painting, modifying and driving a enjoy personally.

just me?[]
Old 12-21-2006, 04:48 PM
swathdiver

Love, the gun, gotta have them for me! Who wants to shoot lasers? I wanna blow holes and knock $20 parts of my opponents tanks! We all have our favorite parts of this hobby. I've got to admit, I'm really enjoying modifying and detailing my M26A1, and have been skittish about abusing it outside like the others with the kids! I'll get one of those laser systems to participate in battles anyway when they come out.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:07 PM
WECKY

A decent BB gun Impresses the Kids,Nieghbors and shakes up the cat and dog(please don't shoot the animals,you could damage thier eyes)also it's fun to sit around with the nieghbors and plink at empty Beer Cans.My old tank,I guess one of the first ones out, could send a round out 20-25' and bounce off the cars across the street(HL 1/24 battle tank).But performance and looks and bells and whistles can not compare with the Bulldog.I think they should include a decent airsoft gun.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Harquebus

I can go either way with the airsoft gun. It is there if you want it but it can be switched off. But as long as it's there, I want it to work if not just for the silly novelty of it all.

I can imagine a scenario with a stranger where he says "nice tank" noticing that it smokes and then he asks whether it shoots or not. This is the moment that you crank the turret around and shoot him in the keister!

-Harq
Old 12-21-2006, 06:28 PM
WECKY

That's right,it makes it what it's supposed to be,a well rounded Model that looks good and can"be all it's meant to be"
Old 12-21-2006, 06:34 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

would be nice to if one could lanch bottle rockets out of the gun by flick of the switch!
But then u would need to load up after every shot!