Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Leopard 1A4 - Build Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Leopard 1A4 - Build Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Thorvald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Leopard 1A4 - Build Thread!

Well it finally arrived the other day. One awesome *New in the box* Tamiya Leopard 1A4 R/C Tank.

I'm going to start a build thread on it here but it will likely be a slow process for finishing since I am planning on converting this into a Canadian Leopard C1 Early Model (possibly a late) and will also likely do the Mexas add-on armour as per the Leopards that were deployed in Kosovo.

There are still lots of aftermarket parts available, most from http://www.afv-model.de/, and those are RATHER expensive (also ship from Germany...ouch). I'll be placing an order soon for a bunch of items (So tempting to convert this into a full Leopard C2 with Mexas but wow that 1A5 turret is VERY expensive...still tempting though).

I've taken some shots of the box opening and started to wash/prime the base chassis and other metal bits. I'll try using my Rogers/Yahoo account to post pictures but I'm not sure if it will work for direct links.

EDIT: Looks like Rogers/Yahoo hates direct links, I'll try Photobucket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-01.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	2239761
Wow what a HUGE box... forgot how big the original boxes were.

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-02.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2239762
Seller packed things well even inside!

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-03.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	2239763
Massive upper hull.

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-04.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	2239764
Full aluminum chassis, neat!

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-05.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	2239765
Ah good ol'blister packs, one of the little joys of old Tamiya kits.

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-06.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	2239766
Track parts, yes you have to build them up totally by hand and they are full-metal.

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-07.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	2239767
Gearbox with dual clutch arrangement.

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-08.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	2239768
More suspension bits.

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-09.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	2239769
Plastic part trees

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-10.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	2239770
Size compared to my Mato Toys Tiger I.

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-11.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2239771
Size compared to my Mato Toys Tiger I.

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-12.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	2239772
Size compared to my Tamiya Bruiser... this will be a good sized tank!

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-13.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	2239773
Top shot comparison.

Name:	TamiyaLeopard1A4116RCTank-14.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	2239774
Top shot comparison.

More shots and build pics to come!

P.S. Please let me know if the links don't work for the images, I still don't trust Yahoo Photos but it's all I have right now.

Cheers
Tim
Old 12-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Thorvald

Default RE: Tamiya Leopard 1A4 - Build Thread!

This website will give you an idea of what needs changing to convert it to a C1:

http://www.trackjam.com/trackjam/lprdc1conv.htm

Trackjam sells full kits and parts for various 1/35 and 1/72 scale, highly recommended!

Images of the conversion kit (white resin parts) shown on an Italeri 1/35 Leopard kit:

Trackjam/Mapleleaf Models also includes decals

Photo of a really nicely done 1/35 Leopard C1 by Mark Innis

Photo of a really nicely done 1/35 Leopard C1 by Mark Innis

Note: All images in this specific post are courtesy of http://www.trackjam.com
Old 12-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Thorvald

Just some quick priming and painting tonight (Xmas eve and all).

Hull all washed and cleaned.

In my "spray booth" for priming... well really it's just a box on the hood of my wifes car...but hey who's looking ;-)

Horrible colour for primer, but it's for metal and works good. This is the underside of the tank anyways....it's going to get ABUSED.

All done with Krylon Olive Drab.

Starting to put on some of the suspension bits, will need to put on another coat once screws are in place.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Supreme Reign

Oh boy! I'm so jealous I can't believe you can still get these NIB. I like these better than my 2A6. I wish they'd remake them and make them Full Option.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Plastic scouser

Cannnot wait to see it finished Thorvald here is a link to some footage of Canadian Leopards in Afghanistan great for reference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rab8cxw1YfM

Cheers Ian
Old 12-25-2006, 05:39 AM
JerB

wow Tim looks awesome so far, looking forward to watching you progress on your model

-Jeremy
Old 12-25-2006, 06:28 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Thorvald:

I made note of other venders in another thread. If you like, I'll dig it up, but I'm a bit under the weather at the moment, even if the outside weather is great, with no snow in sight! Great White North, not this year, at least not yet...

The AxelModellbauShop / SchumoKits unit is the AFV one (as they state) and is the only one I know thats guaranteed to be nickel-silver. The others are probably pewter, and as this is not a part under stress, it probably won't matter. Just do not try to solder it, as you'll slag the sucker.

If you're going to order from JBS or one of the other MG3 venders, let me know, I'd be willing to share in the shipping cause I need a few of 'em, and other fiddly bits like the gun barrel travel lock.

WhiteWolf
Old 12-25-2006, 09:46 AM
Thorvald

Well this one cost me a mint to get NIB, but it was worth it! I've been hunting for one for about 18 years!

I gotta say I am impressed with some of the details in this kit!

- Mud flaps are rubber
- Engine screen is actually a screen (think house screen door)
- Cannon top cover is rubber
- Full suspension with torsion bars

Did a little more work last night and then off to wrap more of the kids presents... I already got mine :-)

I'm using Krylon OD for the lower chassis as it's so bloody huge and mixing the proper colour (Canadian Average Green likely) is rather expensive with Tamiya paints for the amount I need to cover. I'll see about the upper but since this is a "runner", I may stick with Krylon OD for ease and cost.

Bottom is primed and has a few coats of Kylon on it now. Ready for some basic assembly.

Torsion suspension mounts installed.

Some of the lower bits now screwed in. I'll give it a coat of OD over all the screws once things are ready.

---

Thanks for the video! It would be alot of work (and money!) to convert this to a full C2 with Mexas. I'd love to do it but may have to wait for more spare cash to order that 1A5 turret. Fabricating the Mexas for that round turret looks like a major pain as well (need to learn how to make my own molds and resin).

I'm actually very close to Canadian Forces Base Borden so I can take pics of the static Leopard there but alot of "items" have been removed since it's a gate guardian. This tank is near and dear to my heart since I recently joined the Canadian Forces myself (Reserve, Armoured Recce, Royal Canadian Armoured Corps) but of course I'll likely never see one in real life unless I deploy (we use G-Wagon's and Iltis for my unit).

Also for those interested, there is lots of good info on the "Modern Canadian Vehicles" forum (http://www.network54.com/Forum/169232/).

---

No problem Whitewolf, I'll be in touch before I order. If you find more of the vendors, please let me know! They might already make some of the parts I need.

The hardest so far will be the C6 GPMG (M240B for you American types) since we only used the MG3 on the "rent-a-tanks" when we first got our Leopards.

If anyone finds a M240B machine gun in a 1/16 or 1/18 (GI Joe size) for sale anywhere with a kit or boxed set, drop me a line!

Back to Xmas morning (one son is sick, the other is a holy terror so far...great fun).

Cheers
Tim
Old 12-25-2006, 11:56 AM
WhiteWolf McBride

Damn, connection expired, and then RCU ate my post. Thank you RCU!

Plastic, thanks for that video link. It makes my decision to swap out the stock tracks for lengthened Pershings that much better, as the guide horn is near-identical to the Tamiya Pershings. The other reason I wanted that track is the track cleat is much better.

You only need to add 6 links to the Pershing ones to fit 'em to a Leopard or Gepard, so if anyone else considers it, no need to blow for a whole second set of Pershings, I have spare Tamiya link sections available. You could also use the Pershing tracks from a HL, but you'll need a few links more, 'cause the HL links are a fraction smaller than the Tamiya ones. NOTE: Sherman links will not work, the guide horn is too wide to fit between the roadwheels.

For the turret MG, you might try converting the Verlinden M60 kits (2 per box) and then moving the trigger grip back, and altering the stock. Its that, or beg Verlinden or the Germans to do one from scratch. I've looked for some FM MAG 's (the original designation of the C3A1/M240) in 1/18, no luck yet, but if I fond one, I'll let ya know.

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/index.htm has a lot of good articles on the Leopard and other CF armor, especially my favorite by Matt Fisher.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Thorvald

Finally got a little more work done. Man I tell you, follow the directions to the letter... what looked like you could "jump ahead"...there is a reason you shouldn't. Ah well, more entertainment.

Washing and more washing. I'd actually be impressed if there is much "mold release" left on such an old kit.

Waiting for things to dry.

Priming suspension arms.

Torsion bars and suspension arms starting to take shape.

All the suspension arms in.

Phew!

Tons of metal clips for the suspension stops.

Suspension stops installed.

Top Roller mounts going in. They definately will be replaced with the AFV-Model units.

Clutch Actuator assembled.

Clutch Actuator showing the two pads that contact the clutch plates.

Transmission with Clutch Actuator installed.

Another angle of transmission with Clutch Actuator installed.

Transmission mounted.

Starting to install the fake shocks. They are very loose and not sure how they will look once complete.

I've run out of plastic primer so it's time to hit the Hobby Store. Hopefully I'll get the wheels all primed and painted sometime tomorrow and start on the tracks soon.

Cheers
Old 12-29-2006, 09:04 PM
WhiteWolf McBride

Thorvald:

Ah, ancient mold release... I think that was my downfall a few years ago with a new-in-box RT1601 Sherman I bought on eBay. It would not take any of the usual brands of tube styrene glue, and not CA either. I finally got decent results out of the Canadian-made version of Tenax-R made by MBS (Model Builder Supply) callesd APSC-1

If you already use this, you know its great stuff. If not, I'd suggest it, cause the mold release thats been absorved and contaminated the plastic might inhibit the penetrating and bonding action of standard tube glues, but it doesn't do it for the liquid stuff.

There is also the Plastruct brand Plastiweld (2 ounce / 56 ml bottle w/ cap-brush) , but often is more expensive per ml or ounce (it was in my local store) When I compared it on a price per ml, the MBS stuff was the best deal, but to use it the best way, you'll want to get one of the Touch-n-Flow sytrette applicators, and many hobby places don't carry them. I had to buy my pair off a US wholesale supplier who only sold them because he had no Canadian retail distributors! A pair for $15 shipped.

I've also seen the Tenax-R sets that come with one of these as part of a 'kit', and includes the Touch'n'Flow, some micro-brushes, and a needle-tube'd squeeze-bottle.

Google for " Touch-n-Flow applicator " and you'll find distributors online.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Amuro

Looks great Thorvald! beautiful kit, I'm envious . I like the title of your thread too. Mine sounds too pretentious. I wish the people at Tamiya would get off their lumbering behinds and re release this kit as well as other modern MBT's [:@].
Old 12-31-2006, 01:30 PM
calvinwill

ORIGINAL: Supreme Reign

Oh boy! I'm so jealous I can't believe you can still get these NIB. I like these better than my 2A6. I wish they'd remake them and make them Full Option.
Its interesting that on the 2A6 Tamiya went with the ABS hull, then on their latest release (Panther?) its back to a metal hull, and this one has the overhanging edges to help keep debris out. Keep in mind that I have not had any problems with the ABS hull, I've added about a pound and a half up front for better tracking/weight distribution/climbing and those twin 540s show no signs of stress due to the added weight, but then I would definitely have preferred the 2A6 with a metal hull. Can't wait to see 1A4 finished[8D]

Calvinwill