Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Wireless Camera/ newbie questions.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Wireless Camera/ newbie questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 06:07 AM
Joe717

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless Camera/ newbie questions.

Hi all,

Well, after a few days of owning my HL Bulldog, I've began to like it, a whole lot more. but I do have a few complaints.

First of all, though, I was expecting allot more complaints than what I have, I'm happy to say that I feel I got 100% of my money worth out of this already.
So I do not mind spending some money on it.

Ok, so onto my first problem.

When tracking through grass,even cut grass, I cannot perform a spin-turn...period. My tank will make a slipping noise, I have not quite determined the problem here, I think that it's the gears slipping, possibly one of the idlers, the gear after the pinion, then after the next gear, so the third gear in chain. Would metal gearboxes help here, or will I just be spending for the sake of it ?

Secondly, I've watched a few videos, ok a load of videos on youtube/google video, but one caught my attention..
[link=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2292858484566762854&q=HengLong]HL Tiger Test. [/link]
Is this the speed you get with speed400 motors, or would you say there's something else hidden in this tank ? I'm not really a speed person, but I do love to have a punchy throttle, gives a better response.

Lastly (for now) is a question about the wireless cameras, I purchased one of these 2.4Ghz Wireless micro camera's, with colour and sound. I'm having a blast with it, although I can't seem to get much range at all! This could be due to the conditions in which I live, we are practically in a rainforest, but surely, sitting in the lounge, with the door infront of me wide open, the tank should get further than about 10Metres without the camera loosing range ? it quotes 100M in open space, though they always over exaggerate ranges. The power light on my receiver blinks, it's plugged into the wall plug, is it not getting enough power ? It states it can take 9-12V, the wall plug supplied is 9V....not sure how much of a difference an additional 3V would make ?

Merry Christmas to all! and a happy new year.

Glad to be in the hobby, always!

Old 12-26-2006, 08:14 AM
raimian

Default RE: Wireless Camera/ newbie questions.

for better speed/controll you could replace the standard motors with good quality speed 400 ones and replace the origional electronics as they wont be able to handle the extra amp'age pulled by 400 motors. alot of people use electronic speed controllers designed for robotics, or you can wait till april 07 and get the cool electronics being developed by a company called clark; http://www.freewebtown.com/jyliang/eng/index_e.html

the gear slipping thing you describe sounds alot like the safety clutch fitted on one of the gears in each gearbox, they are there to stop you from stripping the gears or burning out the motors/boards. this is due to grass causing alot of grip with the tracks, which can be fixed with better motors/metal gearboxes/electronics.

i hope that this helps

raimian
Old 12-26-2006, 10:49 AM
steenv

You could also look at www.el-mod.de
It is a german based company that makes electronics for Heng long tanks. It it very good quality products, and their support is just great.

Steenv (denmark)
Old 12-26-2006, 11:16 AM
raimian

its a pity that site is in german, as thier products could be interesting. sould you translate a rough overview of their product specifications??

thanks

raimian
Old 12-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Rathead123

It should be writen on the back of the reciever what the voltage is, all mine are 12 volts, could be why, or may be a bad rec...I get 200 + feet out of a couple of the Walmart wireless 2,4 gig cams. I have a night vision model mounted on a 1-12 scale Abrams, and a daylight only model on my 1-16 bulldog. What kinda battery are you powering the cams with?
Old 12-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Joe717

Hi all,

Many thanks for the help, I will read up.

The camera itself is being powered by a 9V battery, at first I thought the one they supplied was a bit of a dud, so I bought a brand new one, no difference.
So it's either the conditions or something else, I'll figure it out.

As for these "safety clutch", sounds just like what we have in rc cars, a slipper gear, if too much force is put upon it, it will begin to slip.
I'll consider locking these, JB Weld should do fine, not just yet, though.

So the speed400 motors need upgrade electronics then... hmm, I didn't realise that... maybe it's for the best, though. I'm drooling at the stuff on el-mod and Clark! Awesome stuff.

Thanks to all for the help
Old 12-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That video, I'm guessing, is that of a first generation HL tank. These are early versions minus the Smoke & Sound features that also had a basic two-speed tranny/gearbox.
The speeds are often described as "slow" and "too fast".

They are still available on the market but they just do not perform realistically. I'm noticing a trend of persons here desiring a very fast and unrealistic tank. If you want a fast tracked vehicle then might I suggest the Kyosho Blizzard?

I think the HL tanks have been reasonably perfected with the introduction of the S&S models.

-Harq
Old 12-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Joe717

Hey,

Not interested in going fast whatsoever, I would just like to have a slight,slight increase in throttle response,adding a slightly faster motor, will infact increase the low down throttle response...that's basically what I'm after, without spending big bucks on upgrading my electronics. [8D]

Thanks for the help