Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL Tiger W.I.P.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:48 PM
stevie_g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL Tiger W.I.P.

A few shots of my work in progress tiger,top half of hull is almost ready for paint,done a fair few bit and bobs,removed all moulded tools and front hatches,replaced with metal items,new headlights and conduit,cut out and raised drivers viewing port,cut out m/g ready for an l.e.d one,added s-mines and engine grills,separated side fenders and generally bashed it up.Still loads more to do,mostly on the hull,i have added metal tracks and sprockets but will be breaking the whole thing down to waterproof it using 2mm plastic card,boxing the circuit boards and a whole lot more,will post more photo's as things progress.
Could anyone supply me with any pic's of the rear s-mines on thier corner brackets?
cheers steve.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Wight

Default RE: HL Tiger W.I.P.

Thats a great looking Tiger,looking forward to seeing it painted.
Shell impacts look very good.
How did you cut the vision slits on the turret sides so neatly?
Great work,keep it up.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:32 PM
stevie_g

Started off with a small circular saw attatchment for the dremmel,then slowly scraped away with a junior hacksaw blade and a scalpel,then finished it off with a flat needle file.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Kabul Tanker

Hi,

Great looking tank!

I was wondering if you could teach me a few things. I am interested in how you did the damage to the tank

i.e. the mud flaps, the exhaust, the shell dents,

Any help, suggestions would be great!

Thanks
Old 12-30-2006, 05:48 PM
stevie_g

Hi Kabul,It's pretty easy really,mostly done with a lighter,gently heat chosen panel for as long as you dare then either use the corner of the lighter for a sharper looking dent or the side of the lighter to form a longer rippling look as per the skirts,to make the shell hit dents i heated it and then used the end of a domed pencil to push it in.The scarring aroung the shell hit's is done with the tip of a soldering iron.You just have to experiment and if it goes a bit pear shaped break out the filler!
Old 12-30-2006, 06:09 PM
martin g

Nice work stevie, good to see someone not afraid to rough the tank up a bit.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:42 AM
kevinb120

The work you have done looks great! Looks like you are building a near duplicate of the Wittmann early tiger. You should turn the coupola for it to hinge in the correct position. Also, if you are using hull smoke launchers, the ones on the turret should go as they moved them onto the hull to lower the chance of the smoke grenades being set of accidentally by small arms fire to the clusters on the turret, blinding the tank. David Byrden's excellent tiger 1 site goes over just about every detail imagineable, but you can specifically look up his corrections for the cyber hobby wittmann kit that shows the proper coupola angle and the smoke grenade location points(yours look pretty much dead on).

The fenders are going to look awesome after painting!

See the links 'cyberhoby 6350 coupola' and 'cyberhobby 6350 corrected instructions' for an exploded view of the hull top showing the s-nade launchers on the hull. You can navigate back to the home page for a TON of information.

[link=http://tiger1.info/models/products/CH6350.html]http://tiger1.info/models/products/CH6350.html[/link]

Which PE set did you use for the engine deck grills?
Old 12-31-2006, 05:37 AM
stevie_g

Thanks for the info Kevin,Im not really copying any particular tank but i am going to try and copy the paint scheme on this model 'www.scaleworkshop.com/.../tiger1s33cw_18.jpg' that i found on the testors website,it's an awsome model and only 1/35 the detail is incredible.The grilles are from Imperial-Modellbau,the site is a bit hard to navigate as it is in German only but you get there in the end and they accept paypal.
cheers Steve.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:55 AM
uhu

Hi Steve
From Imperial:
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17375.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	587230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88089.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	587231  
Old 12-31-2006, 08:04 AM
uhu

Hello hevinb120
I think you have a confusion about S-mine launchers and smoke grenade dischargers......The ones on the turret (3 each side) were smoke grenades dischargers, and the fittings in the hull were defensive S-mine launchers....
Regards
Old 12-31-2006, 08:42 AM
stevie_g

Thanks UHU ,A bit tricky to fit on the hl tiger as one bracket is on the top hull and the other bracket on the back plate,the way im building mine the back plate will be sealed to the lower hull as part of the waterproofing and the top half of the hull will have to be removable to get to the twin battery set i am intending to incorporate,i guess a charging jack plug is the way to go and leave the battery's in there semi permanently.All good fun!
Steve.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:42 PM
herrgeezer

Hi Steve,

This is really looking great! Where do you find all the metal pieces you have added?
Old 12-31-2006, 07:25 PM
stevie_g

A few off ebay but mostly from Imperial-Modellbau.
ORIGINAL: herrgeezer

Hi Steve,

This is really looking great! Where do you find all the metal pieces you have added?
Old 12-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice work!

Jeff
Old 12-31-2006, 08:43 PM
ricci

using badly my tiger the turret make a full turn cuting a white wire who is fis
x on a side in the 3 contact of the ON OFF butom inside the tank.now i don t know where is going on the other side ? and everything working exept the turette who nis not turning !!!!! please some body bcan help me whit a photo of the inside of the tank
thanks for attentiuon.r
Old 01-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Kabul Tanker

Thanks for your help!.... I am sure I will call on you again for more info. THANKS!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 05:47 PM
herrgeezer

ORIGINAL: stevieg

A few off ebay but mostly from Imperial-Modellbau.
Thank for the info Steve. Looking forward to seeing more as you progress.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:59 PM
stevie_g

Stripped the hull of it's gut's and cut out the battery box,then sealed the lid and catch down with a mixture of 2 part epoxy resin (araldite) and superglue,also filled in the switch holes and removed all script.Now boxing in the suspension using 2mm plastic card.Next i will start making a raised deck.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:08 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's exactly how I waterproof the sides with the 2mm styrene and using rtv silicone to make a non-permanent seal in case I have to get in there in the future. Looks great! Did you make that armored transmission cover?
Old 01-02-2007, 05:21 PM
stevie_g

Hi James,The covers are from imperial-modellbau like all the other bits on the tank,with the last few bits i've just ordered from them i think i've nearly doubled the cost of the hl tank!
ORIGINAL: swathdiver

That's exactly how I waterproof the sides with the 2mm styrene and using rtv silicone to make a non-permanent seal in case I have to get in there in the future. Looks great! Did you make that armored transmission cover?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:47 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I originally used .040" sheet styrene but could only go so far as the gearboxes because the plate was too thick. Then I switched to Evergreen V-Groove or Freight Car Siding. It's .5mm thick and the spacing was 1.5mm. This allowed me to simply cut the piece 10 grooves high, folder over 3 grooves to cover the top and the rest was 7 high, then cut a piece to secure the front and the rear like yours is secured to the rear bulkhead.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:02 PM
stevie_g

Altered the exhausts so the smoke comes out of the proper holes,hopefully pic's are self explanitory,now got to make a feed pipe for the oil and figure out where on the top hull to use as a filler.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:33 PM
stevie_g

Platform for smoke generator built and fitted,also helps keep batteries in place.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:40 AM
stevie_g

Electrics box built and fitted,should i drill some holes in the top to allow a bit of heat to escape?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21791.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	592772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18276.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	592773  
Old 01-07-2007, 02:15 PM
martin g

Ah now i see what your doing. I would perforate the electronics box, two areas at opposing ends of the lid. The buy and glue a tiny laptop fan over one set of perfs (blowing in) and the air wil exit via the other set of perfs at the far end, thatll give you good circulation. fans are in tandy for £4.99, wire it direct to the on/off switch, it will always be cooling if the tank is on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.