Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL bulldog problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:54 PM
kkduda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL bulldog problem

I just opened my new HL bulldog and already I have a problem...[]

I've searched for a post on a similar problem, but haven't had any luck. Maybe one of you experienced fellows could offer some suggestions

I turn on the transmitter, turn on the tank, the lights blink. I hit the start key, the lights stop blinking. Then I push the right stick forward (or any other control), then it stops motionless. [&o]The lights are still on, but no controls work at all. I must then turn both off, start over again, and the same thing happens. I tried creeping along, moving very slowly, but as soon as I move it above a crawl, it "stalls" again. Additionally, sometimes even when slowly moving along, it seems that it lurches forward quickly or turns rapidly by itself before going into the dead state?!!?

I initally charged the battery for about 5 hours, checked it with a voltmeter and got about 8V. I also put brand new batteries in the transmitter.

Any input would be appreciated.
thanks,
Keith
Old 02-13-2007, 08:11 PM
briz

Default RE: HL bulldog problem

I would either send back to were you bought from......or
open it up and check solder connections inside...(maybe loose antenna wire?)
Does turret rotate,gun fire and elevate?
Does the smoke work?
Maybe just easier to send back[&o]
I think about 80% of all HL buyers suffer some kind of OBF(out of box failure)
My bulldog had a loose wire inside the controller unit(what a pain)
Old 02-13-2007, 09:21 PM
kkduda

Everything seems to work initially, turret rotation, elevation, machine gun, smoke. I haven't tried the firing yet. It seems strange that things would work for a short amount of time, then everything cuts off. It's almost like something gets overloads and flips the circuit breaker. I know that's not literally what's going on, but it seems to act that way.

I'd rather not return and lose shipping costs. If possible, I'd like to diagnose the problem and fix it myself if its not too much money.

I was just hoping I'd be one of the lucky 20% of HL owneres that actually get their product to work [&:]
Old 02-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Rathead123

Mine did that and it was a bad reciever crystal. If it works after its had time to cool, then starts acting up again that might be it. You can order those crystals from either Mato or tower, seems a lot are bad, in those tanks. There is a post on this somewhere on here, if you wish you can keyword search, "crystals" on this forum and it should come up.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Kabul Tanker

Where did you buy it from??

KT
Old 02-13-2007, 10:10 PM
briz

I would buy the crystals from MATO. They are actuall HL xtl's...I dont think that other mfg xtl's will work in a HL(only HL xtl's)
I have tried ,could not get to work
Old 02-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Audix99

If it is crystals that you need, then you can get them from Mato.
But you can also get them from TowerHobbies (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...93p?&C=LFB&P=K)

You can get the Red Hawk Hobbico Crystal Set that come in 6 different channels.
I bought 2 sets (channel 2 & 4) for my HL Tiger and Pershing to replace stock HL crystals.
These Red Hawk works perfectly, and total cost is more reasonable than Mato's HL crystals due to the shippng cost to US, and the delivery is faster as well.

Good luck solving your problem.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:50 AM
kkduda

I got my bulldog from raidentech.com , I had a free shipping coupon and it was a lot cheaper than mato. I guess I can't blame them, it was manufactured in China.

I'll try it, let it cool, and then see if it works again. That seems strange since it "goes bad" after so little activity.

I'll probably buy some new crystals and try that. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:44 PM
kkduda

If I'm going to buy a new crystal set from Mato or Tower, should I get any other items while I'm ordering? What are typical parts or pieces I might want? Common things to break?

circuit board?
metal drive wheels?
smoke oil?
others?

I don't want to invest in metal tracks right now, I just want my tank to run?!?

Old 02-14-2007, 01:40 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Hobbico crystals, they do work. Will the additional frequencies, you can run up to 7 tanks at once legally in the United States.

If you order from Mato, specify which numbers you want. As for extras, my advice would be to buy the whole smoke and sound upgrade kit. This will give you plenty of spares to start with. Get another airsoft unit, as the breeches in the guns frequently break with lots of use- if that's important to you. Metal tracks are awesome, get them now, you'll only want for them later. Oh, since your tank is not from Mato, it probably has plastic gearboxes. While metal ones aren't necessary they are nice to have. While you're at it, order another tank, you gotta have another one to shoot at right? Better order two more, one of them will always be down for maintenance or mods and with only two, you'd still not have enough available to battle each other right? But what'll you do when all three are up? That would be unfair, better order a 3rd! But now you have a new problem! How can you flank the enemy with only two tanks? How can only 2 tanks cover each other, guard a bridge and attack the enemy at the same time? Better make it 7 more. This way each side will have a platoon(4) of tanks each. Now you just have order that 8th crystal from overseas and hope nobodies watching when you pop it in to your tank, hopefully nobody is using a CB radio around you!

I have 11 tanks now, just ordered my PZIII a few minutes ago. 7 ready to go for battle, 3 being modified and one on order.

Still have the 1700mah battery? Get something 3000mah or higher. My 3600s run for 3+ hours between charges. My heavily modified tanks will be powered by 2 3600-4600mah batteries. They need the extra juice as they weigh 12lbs+ and will use El-Mod electronics with beefed up suspensions.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:18 PM
kkduda

11 tanks! Ha Ha Ha

I don't want to get into another expensive hobby. I already have a couple that really drain the funds. I just want my 1 tank to work so I can drive through the garden, plow over the kid's blocks, etc...

I just tried my tank again. After dying, I waited 10 minutes and retried, still nothing. As soon as I restart both, it works for about 1 second until any major movement is done, then it dies again. I can turn the turret and fire the machine gun as much as I want, but when the tank itself gets moved with any speed, everything crashes![:@]

Old 02-14-2007, 02:33 PM
swathdiver

Order the smoke and sound upgrade kit AND an extra set of boards then. The S&S kit comes with a new crystal btw. I think it's the crystal, might be the board. If you read my previous posts, dealing with Raidentech for support was a pain. I asked for different crystal, they didn't send it. So when I complained they wanted me to send the whole tank back, I said forget it, 4 months later they sent crystals for rc airplane. Never again, Murphy (Mato Toys) is my man for Heng Long stuff.

Ohh ohh...

ORIGINAL: kkduda

I just want my 1 tank to work so I can drive through the garden, plow over the kid's blocks, etc...
I said the EXACT same thing when I asked Santa Claus(the wife) for my Pershing.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:10 PM
kkduda

I think I will get the S&S upgrade from Mato just to use as repair parts.

However, I'd like to know if the problem with my tank is the crystals. I have a set of 27.125 MHz crystals from a cheap RC airplane, could I swap those in to see if it fixes the problem. Would there be any harm in doing that? I wouldn't want to damage those crystals, or further damage the bulldog tank...

Old 02-15-2007, 02:19 PM
briz

"I don't want to get into another expensive hobby"

TOO LATE!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:41 PM
swathdiver

If it's an FM crystal that's the same shape, sure it'll work. However, make sure the FCC isn't sitting in a black sedan down the street, that's the same frequency as CB channel 14!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:57 PM
kkduda

I got new crystals, inserted, and exactly the same problem. ARGH! What should I try next? Replace the boards? I also opened up the tank and TX and saw no loose wires or anything else obvious... This is getting quite frustrating [:@]

Old 03-26-2007, 08:36 PM
kkduda

Here's a final report on my HL bulldog problems. I thought I'd post the final outcome and solution in case anyone else has a similar problem and they're searching through the archives for information.

My DOA bulldog was fixed by replacing the circuit board. When I did it, I found it helpful to take a digital photo of the existing board, make a print out, and write in where all the wires go so that I could replace it in the right configuration. I got the board from mato. The shipping was terrible, but at least my tank works now.

I'm very happy with the tank so far. it runs great and is a load of fun!!!

I tried to return it before the 30 day period was up, but raidentech gave me no response whatsoever. I though I was getting a good deal from them with the "cjfreeshipping" coupon code, but if the product doesn't work, and they provide no service, I guess it wasn't really that great of a deal. I thinkt he extra money I spent for parts to fix it up would have equaled the cost to buy from mato in the first place.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:02 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well you have really joined the brotherhood now. Replaced a board and got your Heng Long working. It is kind of like a right of passage. It bonds us together as Heng Long tankers. Sure you can Buy a Tamiya, but a Heng Long that works draws knowing nods from those around you. They know you are a tanker, and hell has no fury like a working Heng Long.

Hold your head high. You've earned your Heng Long shoulder patch.

Someone should make up a shoulder patch that looks like a military unit patch. They should come packaged with every Heng long replacement board. When you change the board you add another patch. That way you can tell who the most decorated is
Old 03-27-2007, 07:51 AM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny stuff YHR...and a good idea, I intend to remain a private in this case !!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:25 PM
YHR

Actually I have only had to replace one Heng Long board. Once I discovered better air flow and heat sinks the boards have been rock solid.

For the price you can't beat the multifuntioning Boards. I'm already thinking they would work well in that JFK PT 109 kit that is around. Not sure if you could get enough prop steer to do with out rudder control though.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:09 PM
swathdiver

Glad Kuda got his tank running again. Which shipping option did he choose? I think I already know the answer!

Patches? Send me 5 or 6 please!

PT Boats, I was thinking the same thing for the Blue Devil Destroyer, instead of a servo to turn the rudder, use a 130 motor on a gear, just set it up on the turret rotation function, for a destroyer it'll work, I know, put stoppers on the gears so when the rudder is hard over you'll hear the clicking sound, hehehe, not from 30 yards!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:12 PM
YHR

I never thought of that for rudder control, but it would work. Hmmmmm thanks.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:04 AM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I RC'd a Bluedevil destroyer model ( the 3 ft one ) about 15 years ago, I used the innards of a Radio Shack RC car. It sure liked to roll in a breeze, be sure to put some sort of stabilizer below the waterline.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:44 AM
swathdiver

I've built 3 of them so far. Used to play with them in the pool, watch them do figure 8s and such with the stock cams. My great uncle was plankowner of the USS Hale, fought on her all throughout WW2. I was thinking of another one to do a project with the kids.