Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Last Citadel

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Brimauster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last Citadel

I've just finished reading a novel called The Last Citadel by David L. Robbins. It's about the Tiger1 vs T34's in Russia, Operation Citadel. Pretty good read, it's fiction but a good story.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:30 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Last Citadel

Sounds interesting. Who's side is it portraying and who's the publisher?
Bill
Old 03-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Brimauster

The book portrays both sides... On the Russian side is a father/son in the same T-34. The son is the commander, a staunch communist and the father is the driver, an old cossack who tries to teach his son to do what is in his heart rather than what orders say.

The Tiger is commanded by a Spanish SS officer who suffered terrible wounds at the hands of the Russians in an earlier battle. He now commands a company of Tigers, and has an insatiable appetite for revenge.

Publisher is Bantam, you can get it at any book store I would suppose.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:29 PM
uhu

AAAjjjajajaja!!!!
A spaniard commander of a Tiger, unbelievable!!
Well maybe it's based on historic facts, but all the spaniards who fought in the eastern front formed at first in the Spanish Volunteer Division, designated the 250th (“Blue”) Infantry Division of the Wehrmacht. After repatriation of the Blue Division in December 1943, the Blue Legion was formed from men who decided to stay. The force consisted of about 2,000 men under the control of Colonel Antonio GarcĂ*a Navarro, and was attached to the 121st Infantry Division. The Blue Legion only existed for about four months. After the Blue Legion was withdrawn, it became illegal for spaniards to serve on the Axis side.
Despite this there were still a number of spaniards who were willing to fight alongside the Germans in their battle against the Soviets. The recruits were at first attached to Wehrmacht units such as the 357th Mountain Division and 3rd Gebirgs Division.
On September 1944 was formed the Spanische-Freiwilligen-Kompanie der SS 101. A second company (102) was soon formed. The 101 Company, that was made up entirely of volunteers in the true sense of the word, was attached to the 28th Waffen SS Division (Wallonien) and saw heavy action in Pomerania. In the last days of the Third Reich, a unit known as Sturmabteilung "Ezquerra", even fought in Berlin...but commanding a Tiger, sounds strange to me.....well, maybe, who knows?
Regards
Jose
Old 03-05-2007, 07:01 PM
bhop73

Well.. it is fiction..

I have read it too and liked it a lot. It might not be 100% historically accurate, but it's a fun read. It inspired me to make this: http://www.bhop73.com/main/images/mo...4.asp?pic=t342
Old 03-06-2007, 03:07 AM
Larryds

Ah the battle in the flower field. That was one of the good parts of the book. Germans had a hard time seeing the Russian tanks in the flowers, however the Russians didnt have a hard time seeing them. I liked how it the book described how the Russian tank crews ran their tanks. The TC wont tap on the shoulders other driver to turn and push on both shoulders to stop. Good book!
Old 03-06-2007, 05:22 AM
martin g

ORIGINAL: bhop73

Well.. it is fiction..

I have read it too and liked it a lot. It might not be 100% historically accurate, but it's a fun read. It inspired me to make this: http://www.bhop73.com/main/images/mo...4.asp?pic=t342
Nice job there!!