Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

battery and charger purchase

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

battery and charger purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:30 PM
kkduda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery and charger purchase

I just got a new battery and charger at a pretty good deal (I think). From cheapbatterypacks.com, I got a 3300mAh battery from their special section. It just barely fits into the tank compartment, but it seems to work pretty well.

I also got a brain 959 charger for about $45.

I'd like to know what setting to charge the batteries on. The current can be set from .5A to 4.5A. What is best for tank batteries?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: battery and charger purchase

This is a common question that usually shows up twice a month. The charge current will dictate the charge time and the life expectancy of the battery pack. Charging at 0.5A (500mAh) will require around 6.6 hours of charge time (3300/500 = 6.6 hours). Charging at 4.5A will require 0.733 hours or 44 minutes at the expense of battery life. Initial charge rate should be 1/10 of the battery pack's capacity, or 0.3A in your case. Since your charger can't be set at 0.3A, charge the battery pack at 0.5A initially. The battery pack can be charged at higher amperage later on. However, in general, the lower the charge rate, the longer the battery pack will last.