Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

re-sizeing

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:50 PM
pzrwest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-sizeing

I have received a set of plans for the 1/25 scale jadgpanther paper model if I was to photocopy it and resize larger for 1/16 scale I would divide 25 by 16 giving me a factor of 1.5625 then if I had the photocopier enlarge it by 156% would this be suitable to use for 1/16th scale?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 PM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: re-sizeing

Sounds right to me, if a 25' tank is 1' in 1/25 scale, it would be 1/16 * 25' = 1.5625' in 1/16 scale.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:36 PM
wackywheelz

Best site on the net for cross-scale conversions is [link=http://www.printmini.com/calc.shtml]Jim's Dollhouse Pages Hobby Calculators[/link]. I use it a lot for my scratchbuilding, very very helpful!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:46 PM
ah64

ORIGINAL: pzrwest

I have received a set of plans for the 1/25 scale jadgpanther paper model if I was to photocopy it and resize larger for 1/16 scale I would divide 25 by 16 giving me a factor of 1.5625 then if I had the photocopier enlarge it by 156% would this be suitable to use for 1/16th scale?

Wouldnt the size of the picture on your monitor differ from the actual print out? I mean I have a 18 inch flat panel and my printer only goes to 8x11... If you took it to KINKO's you would have a better chance of getting it in the right scale. That is what I did for my 1/4 scale Crackerbox I made last year.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 PM
pzrwest

Ok I printed out the pages for the basic parts(lower hull, sides, top decks, etc) on 8.5x11" paper then had my local office supply store photo copy the pages at 156% would this be the correct size now for 1/16th scale?
Old 11-15-2007, 09:17 PM
ah64

I would take the file of the parts (IN ORIGINAL SIZE) to Your Photo store and have them enlarge the Parts you want. The pictures or file you want to have enlarged need to be Digital format, That is what KINKO's tells me all the time. Personaly I would just measure the parts and re draw them into 1/16 scale as long as you are for sure the parts are 1/25 you would be ok. I did that with a 1/35 scale model and made it into a 1/8 scale Tank. Now if you had a CAD program That would help alot but then again That would be to easy and what fun would that be? Besides I don't know many people who spend a couple Hundred on CAD programs for a hobby like ours.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:19 PM
bullyhys

Pzrwest,

That is correct, 156% is the ratio that I have used to enlarge from 1/25 to 1/16 and it seems to match the calculations.

That is the same method I have used in the past.

Regards,

bullyhys
Old 11-16-2007, 03:54 AM
killick64

No CAD here...These are the steps I use in "resizing".....

1. Do a straight "print-off" of the scanned-in plan as it appears in your monitor.

2. Go to a site that has the specs of the ACTUAL Machine or vehicle. Note a particular measurement...i.e. Length Overall-- and divide this measurement by 1/16 .

3. Now, take your "printout" and note this same measurement on your plan.

4. Decide by how much to enlarge the plan you obtained in step (1): Measurement calculated from (2) / Measurement obtained in step (3) = Enlargement Factor

5. Cut your printed plansheet into into manageable "pieces". Place these one at a time in your scanner and "enlarge" them by the appropriate amount.

(If your printer can only handle "standard-sized" (ie, 8"X11" ) sheets of paper, you may have to trim and re-assemble the "enlarged" sections of the bigger components --like decks, upper and lower hulls, etc -- using a good brand of cellotape. Work patiently and carefully!)

6. I use a Freeware version of a program called Ultimate Paint that, in the "PRINT" window, gives you the option of "resizing" the end product by a very specific Percentage. (Enlargement Factor X100)

Yes, its a lot of work --but for those with no CAD and no access to a KINKO's, it does the trick.....I've used this to make my own "patterns" for scratchbuilt Oerlikon and 2-pdr QF Naval guns in 1/24 scale, with great results!

Hope this helps--!