Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My new T34/85

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:07 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: My new T34/85

ORIGINAL: fv432

Hi philipat wasnt bill (RCCOMMAND) looking at being a dealer for them ??

Ooh...I hope so. I remember him looking at being a vendor for several of the German makers, but I don't remember exactly which ones. That would be great, though.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:30 AM
fv432
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes would be a big plus for you guys havent bought anything personally but 200% on service
Old 10-02-2008, 04:35 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

You just have to get inside the tank and start. Looking at pictures is a great guideline but nothing like the real thing. I can show pics of the inside and bottom of my tank but that will only get you so far. Using the stock gearbox is economical, but gutting out the old unit and re-installing another style is a little more work.

Just start out with replacing the electronics first. That's pretty much plug N play and you'll have to replace the motors too. Cut the battery box out and plate the bottom of the tank to conceal the hole left. I braced the inside walls of the lower hull too to reduce flexing.

I have 2 more waiting but they're way back in line.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is gonna be fun. thanks for all the responses guys. wacky's site looks like a great place too start as far as replacing just the electronics for now. I'll most likel;y do an gearbox upgrade sometime down the road.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: Panther G

This is gonna be fun. thanks for all the responses guys. wacky's site looks like a great place too start as far as replacing just the electronics for now. I'll most likel;y do an gearbox upgrade sometime down the road.
PM me anytime on your conversion if needed. Once it's set up, you'll love the way it looks and drives!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:23 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Phillipat:

Well, mine is here (no thanks to Canada Post) and I've finished 'cleaning up' the wiring, now I have nice neat cable runs. Anyone have that link for the Tamiya-like micro-connectors? I wanna put a few in my lines so I can disconnect recil/traverse/elevation and other bits without desoldering.

I've looked about, and Imperial has a lot of fiddly bits, like the PE engine grille (# 50360) Commander's cupola (#50116 - is it worth it?) some decent looking 85mm ammo w/ separate round and cartridge (#50160 - anyone bought it?) metal driver's hatch (#51129 - is there a point?) and resin fuel tanks w/ metal straps/supports (#51124 - ditto on point?)

Axel Modellbau Shop has the drop-in replacement for the recoiling 85mm barrel (#T34850013) but says the LED won't fit any longer (can the flange be taken off the LED to get it to fit? Also an assortment of decals that I understand are from Archer, and some figures too (not cheap)

Then there is Daryl's suspension set - but the PDF says you need to slightly oversize the 8mm holes to avoid a press-fit of the 850 flanges (not incl.) to avoid splitting rims. Anyone care to speak on this? I really want this, but finding the drill bit would be a pain.

Then there is the metal gearset upgrade VS the heavy-duty low H/L boxes from the UK (maker?) pros and cons for both?

Could someone put any definitive buildups in the sticly tips section, and any upgrade comparisons (gears vs replacement boxes) in there too.

And one last thing - whats the color match for the green they used. Some spots need a ~bit~ of touch-up, and I wanna match it instead of a complete repaint (or is that recommended?)
Old 10-13-2008, 03:47 AM
fv432
Banned

Whitewolf
i can only answer your question on the gears and gearbox section
the Std box is dire and is so flexible (gear covers which hold it all together) the metal upgrade is only worth the money for the final drive gear which fits the henglong drive shaft gear a treat and is necessary for doing a similar build to mine using the tamtoys low profile boxes this mod is so strong that the T34 will damn near climb a tree[X(][X(]

Hope this helps some

Kind regards Rob
Old 10-13-2008, 04:26 AM
WhiteWolf McBride

FV432:

read about your mods, and it looked like one only to be undertaken with a machine shop. I've got a dremel (no drill press) though I'm considering one of the ones seen on eBay (the all billet aluminum ones) that can almost be used for milling.

I'd hate to have to buy the metal gear set just for one gear to transplant into the "tamtoy" gearboxes (never seen them listed as such)

Is there no better solution?
Old 10-13-2008, 04:43 AM
fv432
Banned

PerryS did go down the H/Long gearbox route but from what i have seen had to remove a section from the rear plate and ended up with a bulge like the matorro KT
Trust me whitewolf you dont need a machine shop for this conversion a steady hand with a power drill,set of snips or hacksaw for the ally plate underneath a file and some M3 taps and grubscrews oh and some 5mm brass bar for the replacement driveshaft which also fit the H/long gear asiatam (Tamtoys) low profile (stug) gearboxes are £43.50 less shipping and about £8.00 for the wsn upgrade metal gears (i bought these in an attempt to improve driveability but as mentioned the plastic covers that hold all together just arent up to it[:@])

Kind regards rob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15427.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	1050746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85878.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	1050747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53520.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1050748  
Old 10-13-2008, 07:06 AM
WhiteWolf McBride

Hmmm...

I think I could handle that. Even without buying that new press (which I may get anyway) So many bits... barrel from Axel, suspension from Daryl, then these gearboxes and the gears... Shame to waste all the other gears in that set though... Wish I could bag a partial set.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Perry S.

As mentioned I went the Mato gearbox direction. THey don't quite fit and musch like my own body there is a little bit of a bulge around the midsection. Not too noticable though. I like the direction that FV432 went. I've heard mixed reviews on those gearboxes but others can comment, I dont have them. If you go that route use the cross shaft like he did. There's not much support and you will get slippage at the main drive gear. I've broke 3 WSN gearboxes within a couple of days so I think they are useless. Some may not agree.
I like the engine grill mod. Makes a big difference and it's easy enough.

Here's a link to my SU-100 build with the HL gearboxes if your interested.
Perry

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_58..._su-100/tm.htm

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74050.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1051402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46713.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1051403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13660.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1051404  
Old 10-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Panther G

can someone give me the details on how to convert too a 7.2volt system. i ran the tank sunday and got about 10 minutes run time on 8 brand new AA batteries. that Aint gonna cut it. LOL
Old 10-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Panther G

But the more I get into this tank the more I love it. I also plan too dod a proportional upgrade too it also. What would be the best setup to do this. It is becomming one of my favorite tanks. i think I'd like to get another and do the SU/85 convertion also. That way I'll have something for my new HL Jagdpanther when I get it. Plus I'm building my own Jagdpanther from one i got fromm bubbajoexx. It was a gret model but USPS destroyed it in transit, so I'm almost starting from scratch. Bubba is going to help me get it all back together. I intend to make him proud. LOL
Old 10-15-2008, 05:35 AM
WhiteWolf McBride

fv432:

Um, besides the two UK resellers, is there another place to get the TamToys gearboxes? I've tried to go to the tamtys website (www.tamtoys.de) and all i get is a blank page. And before you say 'load time' I'm on a 7Mbps connection. Am I locked into those sellers?

Likewise on the swap-gears... wish you could get ONLY the ones I need. Who is the maker so I can ask if he'll sell a partial set (and which ones do I want if he will?)

Gonna have to do this by installments... all the mods I wanna do are a bit much even for my now-liberated 'available funds'.

Was thinking of the Suspension arms first, then do the gearbox mods as step #2.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:22 AM
jom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my StuG gearboxes fron Asiatam.de, if you can't speak German do a Google language translation for the whole page and it carries on translating the linked pages. Watch out that it also changes the Euro sign to a dollar sign!

You could also try Rctank.de. Handily the website is in multi-languages including English.
Beware, they have lots of cool accessories...

Jo
Old 10-15-2008, 05:20 PM
fv432
Banned

Whitewolf
here's a link to asiatams site and these are the metal h/Long tanks spare gear set http://www.asiatam.de/product_info.p...Heng-Long.html

and the same place for the T34 gear set http://www.asiatam.de/product_info.p...16von-WSN.html

and for the gearboxes http://www.asiatam.de/product_info.p...-III-1-16.html

hope this helps

Rob
Old 10-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Panther F

I just received one of those T-34 gear sets today. I liked them so much I may have to get more even though the plastic ones are still going strong.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Panther G

How do you guys get the site converted to English.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 PM
WhiteWolf McBride

Panther G:

There ~is~ an english version, www.aisatam.com, but its worse than the German version, as you can't read diddly. Only option is Bablefish, unfortunately.

Shame no-one will take the time to convert their websites to other languages. And FWIW, the prices off AsiaTam are near-identical (56.00 Euro = 43.50 GBP) Shipping from Germany may be cheaper though.