Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Ever seen an Ontos?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 10:34 PM
pcsguy88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever seen an Ontos?

This beast looks like something out of Mech Warrior or Chromehounds. Talk about [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ontos_on_display_at_the_National_Museum_of_t he_Marine_Corps.JPG]shock and awe![/link]

[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontos_tank]Ontos[/link] [link=http://ontos.homestead.com/msph1.html]Pics[/link]

Sounds like the Ontos was an effective weapons system in Vietnam.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:52 AM
calvinlo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ever seen an Ontos?

Wow, after seeing the pic, I know what you mean abt Mech Warrior.[X(] Sure look like one. Too bad the US army never developed it further.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Dongskie

This would be an easy scratch built, i guess
Old 10-13-2008, 10:59 AM
ostketten

ORIGINAL: Sounds like the Ontos was an effective weapons system in Vietnam.

Well, sort of. There is no doubt the M50 was a strange looking beast. The US Marines were the only force to employ the M50 operationally, and it had some success as a fire support vehicle, and was generally well liked by it's crews, but it had a number of fairly serious shortcomings including very thin armor, a high profile, and the need for the crew to exit the vehicle to reload the gun tubes, which was extremely dangerous in a place like Vietnam where snipers were a constant threat. In the right situations Ontos could be formidable anti personnel weapon against troops in the open, as a "bunker buster", and for reducing barricaded positions, machine gun nests etc., but as an anti tank platform (it's original designed purpose) it was essentially a failure, although in Nam' this was of little consequence since there were few if any tanks to shoot at. Aside from the relatively few Marines who crewed the M50's, most people who served in Vietnam have never even heard of the thing. Might make an unusual subject for a custom though.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:00 PM
pcsguy88

I really dig sci-fi armor (mechs) and could not believe my eyes when I stumbled upon the Ontos (greek for Thing). It even has .50cals on each rifle, for aiming, but still. If someone ever makes a 1/16 Sheridan, I will be out shopping for recoiless rifles to build that baby. I love how they mention the very site of it would make the Vietcong run. Good stuff there. Wonder if it would have the same affect at a rc tank match.

Spotlight is a must:

It would make one hell of a drone if you swapped the rifles for miniguns.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:35 PM
pcsguy88

I spent a lot of time playing [link=http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/steelbattalion/video/2898480/steel-battalion-video-review]Steel Battalion[/link] with this controller:

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ESa30x9lz4]Must see in action to believe![/link]

Old 10-13-2008, 04:16 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Took the family to the Marine Corps Museum today and saw this there. They also have an M26 amongst other things. Great museum...highly recommend a visit, but reserve several hours. You could easily spend all day.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:38 PM
BIGMIG

If you go to the Digger History web-site it will tell you all about them.I got to see these running around on Cubi Point in the Philippines,very impressive at the time.(1960 and early 1961) BIGMIG
Old 10-14-2008, 07:11 PM
pattoncommander

Ontos was a cute little vehicle and pretty popular when it first came out. Only saw a half dozen and none moving, but they were supposed to be pretty fast. Big drawback was the guns.....could only use them in an ambush situation then get the hell out fast. Small enough where you could hide it anywhere, and once you fired, the whole world knew where you were...and you only carried enough ammo for 2 reloads. Army never used them outside of a couple units for training but the Marines used a few.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:37 AM
Dongskie

The Ontos could fit in my garage...
Old 10-15-2008, 06:43 AM
Dongskie

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

If you go to the Digger History web-site it will tell you all about them.I got to see these running around on Cubi Point in the Philippines,very impressive at the time.(1960 and early 1961) BIGMIG

Man you were in Subic at that time? what was it like? I came about to see the LAV25 already in the late 80's

I've known the Ontos since the 90's when I got interested about the Tanks during the Viet Nam war, and used it several times in my PS2 game "Conflict Viet Nam"
Old 10-17-2008, 11:53 AM
RMSINSD

I used to see them back in the '70's in southern california. Interstate 5 goes right by USMC Camp Pendleton, and on weekdays the Ontos's would drive on dirt roads that paralleled the freeway. And yes, they were fast! They'd keep up with traffic, at least 50mph on the dirt!