Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

rx18 full fire mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 PM
bubbajoexx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rx18 full fire mod

I guess i will have to get Bill to post the how to for the recoil on his site so that you all can see the corect way to do the recoil for full funtion
Old 01-27-2009, 05:36 PM
gorehound

Hi Bubba

Yes, I did the diode upgrade and this part works perfectly. It is only when I introduce the recoil I get the problem. If I press the K button on the handset there is no issue and I get single hull recoil and fire sound. If however I push the stick up the recoil works fine but the tank does the three step shuffle. Remove the reciol and all OK again.

I did apply the capacitors as per the pic but am not sure if they are the same rating. There were some small resistors already on the recoil motor but I did remove them first.

cheers
Gorehound
Old 01-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Neomax25

Hi guys, sorry to step in here, and maybe i'm missing something obvious here, after all i'm no electrician. But my mechanic ability is pretty good. You seem to be looking for an electrical way around this, when there would appear to be a simple mechanical way around the problem.
I'm assuming from the previous messages that you are trying to get the tank to fire an IR LED at the same time that you press the K button, resulting in the sound, recoil and IR LED to all go at the same time?
If this is the case all you need to do is get yourself to Maplin, buy an IR LED of the correct rating (this would be determined by the voltage that we would be taking the IR LED from) and fit the IR LED where the current red warning LED is at the side of the main barrel (fit some kind of very short barrel to it to give it focus) and wire it to the recoil pack, thus when the recoil pack recieves power after you press the K button, so will the newly fitted IR LED on the front, emitting the beam forward and totalling yer mate
I'm very sure this would work, all you would then need to do is fit the IR reciever unit to acknowledge the hit!
Hey presto, problem sorted!
Unless i am missing something really obvious
Neo
Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 PM
gorehound

Hi

Yes, you are missing a bit on this one but thank you for trying to help. I am trying to fit an actual Tamiya recoil unit into the equation so that when the tank recoils and the gun fire sound is made it also makes the recoil unit recoil the barrel. In addition I will have an LED but this is not a problem as I have that bit worked out.

The other thing is that this should work from pushing the existing transmitter airsoft unit stick upwards as opposed to the K button. This has been acheived and the problem is that the tank does three hull recoils for every bang and barrel recoil - looks like a demented fron on acid to be honest.....

cheers
Gorehound
Old 01-27-2009, 09:48 PM
bubbajoexx

with the tamiya recoil you need to install a diode on the white wire going to the micro switch and the rebound stops 2 doides in total

i have done over 20 of these conversions and have had nothing but good results
Old 01-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Neomax25

oh i see, pain in the bum then...lol
Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 AM
gorehound

But worth the pain once it is working.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:25 AM
gorehound

Thanks Bubba. Silver end of the diode to the motor?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:15 PM
bubbajoexx

silver facing the rx18 black facing the motor on the white wire
Old 01-28-2009, 07:39 PM
gorehound

Hi Bubba

Not long home from the cinema to see Valkerie but got straight onto this as I was very keen to get it working. It is now sorted thanks and is perfect. Hull recoil, cannon sound (for what it is on an HL board) and gun recoil all sync'd from the push up on the left stick.

Thank you for all the patience and help on this Bubba as it is much appreciated.

cheers
Steve