Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Panzer Grey

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:47 AM
matthewpeter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panzer Grey

I'm having serious issues in finding a UK based supplier of Panzer or German Grey paint for my Panzer III repaint. I just phoned my local model shop who stocks this sort of thing and found out from him that Tamiya no longer do the Acrylic sprays. So where can I obtain a good spray for this shade of paint, and which manufacturer should I be looking at? I am not impartial to airbrushing if necessary, but would prefer spray cans.

cheers for all help given

Matt
Old 04-18-2009, 07:49 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Panzer Grey

Have you tried Hannants?

http://www.hannants.co.uk/

HTH T
Old 04-18-2009, 07:58 AM
matthewpeter

thanks, they sell the Humbrol tank grey, I "think" this is correct (going by the 'ultimate model paint conversion chart'). Can anyone confirm this?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:26 PM
shadopilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take some white paint, add some black to make grey, then add some blue. Viola! Panzer gray! I can't give you exact proportions because its up to you as to what shade you want but you can experiment with the amounts. Don't worry about getting an exact match to Testors or Tamiya or Humbrol Panzer grey because as soon as a tank leaves the factory the paint starts to deteriorate from the elements and no 2 will be alike.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:36 AM
matthewpeter

ok thanks for that. In that case I'll just spray on the tank grey and weather it I think.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:18 AM
bigfiver69

A lot of guys who model in 1.35 scale and focus on German armor do indeed mix their own panzer gray. Like Olive Drab, it's open to a pretty wide range of interpretations.

If you lay on just a straight coat of PG, it looks one way. Then, if you dry brush it with silver, it looks different. Then as you add scale effects like perhaps a light dusting of a tinted down PG, or a layer of dust, or a thin wash of black, it takes on even different characteristics.

When you look at color photographs of tanks from 1938, and then those from 1942, you can see that PG ranged from a steely dark gray, to a much more bluish colour.

So try your hand at mixing some up, and weather it into shape. Just one thing to remember, it doesn't look completey like panzer gray until you add the aerial recognition flag on the rear deck for contrast!

Shep

Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 AM
matthewpeter

all things to think about. Thanks for that
Old 04-20-2009, 09:25 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tamiya have not stopped making Panzer grey it's readily available though the spray cans are not imported into England they can be bought from Germany, France, Denmark, Holland and hear in Belgium the TS range is round €7.50 per can then there is postage on top and a very poor exchange rate
Old 04-20-2009, 10:58 AM
matthewpeter

yes I heard that they stopped importing into the UK. Apparently steps are being taken to remedy this.