Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

ELIMINATE OR HIDE ANTENNA...anyone know how?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

ELIMINATE OR HIDE ANTENNA...anyone know how?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:06 PM
efcee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ELIMINATE OR HIDE ANTENNA...anyone know how?

Does anyone know how to possibly eliminate/hide the antenna on HL tanks without compromising the frequency and strength?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:13 PM
h8ted

Default RE: ELIMINATE OR HIDE ANTENNA...anyone know how?

Try this link
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7195692/anchors_7195692/mpage_1/key_Antenna%252Cmod/anchor/tm.htm#7195692[/link]

Most of the pictures wont load - but it gives you an idea of how it is done.

It is a great mod and one i have installed on ALL of my tanks.

Thanks Pzrwest
Old 04-22-2009, 11:14 PM
lavamonkey

Hobby Havoc (hobbyhavoc.com) sells an internal antenna. I've ordered it but it hasn't arrived yet.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Ern

The ones that Hobby Havoc sells are made by Harold [Pzrwest on this forum] He says he gets 100 yards with them. I got a little over 50 with mine and it started losing reception.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Ern

Harold posted the "How To" a second time... I just tried it and the pictures load on this one... good luck with it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7195692/tm.htm

Be sure and follow his instructions - some people didn't have the success he had with his. Keep it away from motors, the smoker, etc and don't let the coils touch...
Old 04-22-2009, 11:29 PM
efcee

Thanks guys...I think this might be my next mod on my tiger, having that antenna exposed takes away from it's authenticity makes it look like a toy...technically it is, but these tanks are what i consider big boy toys...and sorry for stating the obvious [sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Ern

Be sure to leave the internal small black wire intact as it is technically part of the antennae. There was considerable conversation about this and why people weren't having any success with theirs and this was one cause from what I remember. The length of the wire is critical. Unscrew the wire from the brass connector, and if you can't pull the connector through the hull, heat it with a soldering iron for a few seconds and it will come free. Then connect the black wire to your internal antennae and you should be good.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 AM
daisycutter redux

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why hide it? most ww2 tanks had antenna anyway i just plan to shorten mine to a realistic length
Old 04-23-2009, 05:23 AM
Ern

Search the forum and read before you cut! That has been tried and I believe reception and range were lost dramatically. I switched back to the HL antennae and just moved it to its proper location. I think some also tried a combination of a shorter internal, with a scale antennae outside but don't recall their success. The total length of the antennae and small black wire is the key to max range
Old 04-23-2009, 06:49 AM
pzrwest

I checked the link above and found the pics were gone so here is the post again
I'm reposting my antenna mod ification for the HL Tanks

Want to eliminate the long out of scale antenna that comes with the HL RC tanks? Well after talking to my brother the "HAM" nut he said why not just replace the antenna with an internal antenna and proceeded to explain to me how to do it. Here's what he said " just measure the section of antenna you want to replce then cut a section of laquered copper wire like you would find in a choke or coil from an old radio or power supply the same length as the anteena that comes with the tank. So I tried what he said and "HOT DAM!" worked like a charm. I place the tank at one end of the house and tested it out works perfectly. I could start and stop the tank activate the machine gun, the cannon fire drive train responded as it should. I paced off the distance from the tank to the transmitter and was 20 good paces which would be approximately 60ft. This should work with other RC tanks. Here is how I did it:
1. I measured the antenna and it measured 13-1/16"
2. I cut a section of the laquered wire to that length
3 I took a piece of 1/4" hollow styrene tubeing 1-5/8" long drill a tiny hole near the one end.
4. I inserted the one end of the copper insulated wire into the hole and brought the end out of the end of the tube approximately 1/4-3/8".
5. I then wound the wire around the tubeing and secured the other end to the tubeing with some cyano
6. I then glued short standoff's on either end feeding the end of the wire through the one end
7. When the glue had dried I then un-soldered the antenna wire where it is soldered to the anntena stub keeping the 2 sections of black wire.
8. I then soldered the end of the black antenna wire to the end of the coil and tack glued it to the right inside panel of the hull.
Then I was test time... and it passed with flying colors.
Here are pics of the mod ification:
Pic 1 This shows the coil I used to get the laquered wire from I took the coil out of an old AT computer power supply. This pic shows the top view of the coil

Old 04-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to be 100 yards away from any of my tanks, let alone 50.

Unless you are an Olympic sprinter.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:30 PM
efcee

ORIGINAL: pzrwest

I checked the link above and found the pics were gone so here is the post again
I'm reposting my antenna mod ification for the HL Tanks

Want to eliminate the long out of scale antenna that comes with the HL RC tanks? Well after talking to my brother the "HAM" nut he said why not just replace the antenna with an internal antenna and proceeded to explain to me how to do it. Here's what he said " just measure the section of antenna you want to replce then cut a section of laquered copper wire like you would find in a choke or coil from an old radio or power supply the same length as the anteena that comes with the tank. So I tried what he said and "HOT DAM!" worked like a charm. I place the tank at one end of the house and tested it out works perfectly. I could start and stop the tank activate the machine gun, the cannon fire drive train responded as it should. I paced off the distance from the tank to the transmitter and was 20 good paces which would be approximately 60ft. This should work with other RC tanks. Here is how I did it:
1. I measured the antenna and it measured 13-1/16"
2. I cut a section of the laquered wire to that length
3 I took a piece of 1/4" hollow styrene tubeing 1-5/8" long drill a tiny hole near the one end.
4. I inserted the one end of the copper insulated wire into the hole and brought the end out of the end of the tube approximately 1/4-3/8".
5. I then wound the wire around the tubeing and secured the other end to the tubeing with some cyano
6. I then glued short standoff's on either end feeding the end of the wire through the one end
7. When the glue had dried I then un-soldered the antenna wire where it is soldered to the anntena stub keeping the 2 sections of black wire.
8. I then soldered the end of the black antenna wire to the end of the coil and tack glued it to the right inside panel of the hull.
Then I was test time... and it passed with flying colors.
Here are pics of the mod ification:
Pic 1 This shows the coil I used to get the laquered wire from I took the coil out of an old AT computer power supply. This pic shows the top view of the coil
Thanks for the detailed guide pzrwest...I've printed the step by step instructions, my next step is to look for copper wire & a styrene tubing...ummm would you be able to tell me where I can find the tubing? local hardware store perhaps?
Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 PM
efcee

ORIGINAL: Panther F

I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to be 100 yards away from any of my tanks, let alone 50.

Unless you are an Olympic sprinter.
I hear ya Panther!!! LOL [sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 04-23-2009, 06:51 PM
skitt

Most local hobby shops carry the tubes.....in a variety of sizes.

Plastruct, evergreen. Micro Mart....though thats online.

Skitt
Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Ern

Hey Efcee... I used the tube from a Bic pen and it worked great. Drilled a small hole in one end, put the end of the wire in the hole and wound the wire around the tube. Drilled a hole at the other end and ran the copper wire back into the tube and then up through the middle so that it came back through the small black pen end cap. Gave a nice platform to solder the black wire onto. I didn't use a base as elaborate as Harolds, just used a black rubber washer the same diameter that I had in my tool box, and put a couple drops of CA to hold it together. I think I have a pic...

Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Ern

Efcee... PM me an address and I will send you the one I made if you want it, plus what leftover insulated copper wire I have. I'm sticking with the external so I won't need it anymore...
Old 04-25-2009, 09:00 AM
efcee

ORIGINAL: Ern

Efcee... PM me an address and I will send you the one I made if you want it, plus what leftover insulated copper wire I have. I'm sticking with the external so I won't need it anymore...
Sent
Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 AM
rva1945

Just my two cents.

I converted an Academy 1/25 Jagdpanthr to RC. The Jagdpanther had an antenna located behind the casemate. Well, I installed a 1mm thick piano wire and attached the receiver antena to it with a small plug:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57750.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1201716   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43017.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1201717