Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

DX5e in Tam Tiger

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:46 AM
AL D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX5e in Tam Tiger

Finished up a Tiger 1 and put in the DX5e radio with AR500 receiver. Everything worked good except small problem of both motors going in reverse for 5 seconds when start button was first switched. (good thing I used to play goalie in the nets - did a good catch of the Tiger when this first happened on my work bench!) I reset the DMD and redid the set up but this time I have no cannon fire or machine guns and it still runs in reverse at first run-up! I did several resets making sure the electronic trims were centered but still problem exists. Any ideas?

BUNTS
Old 04-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: DX5e in Tam Tiger

A few things I'd try. Firstly, I'd put a block under the tank when testing. Usually a block of 2x4 wood is fine, or you can use foam rubber. The block should get the tracks up off the ground and allow the tracks to run freely without rubbing or hitting anything. I know it sounds stupid, but I've had my Leo 1a4 drive off the dining room table while troubleshooting radio problems. What a disaster that was... It happened right after my wife offered to help hold the tank too. I gruffly told her to leave the tank repair to the expert. I ended up eating my hat on that one.

Sounds as though you might have something like this you're using now (after the near disaster). Before you start to troubleshoot, make absolutely sure your main battery (i.e. the 7.2v in tank) has a full charge. When the batteries get low, it makes all sorts of weird things happen. Double check to make sure your motors are wired correctly too(I've wired them wrong once or twice). Lastly check your "Tamiya style" plugs as they tend to be crap. Make absolutely sure the wires have a good connection. I always cut my Tamiya plugs out, and install Dean's plugs.

Secondly, It's going to be your radio, the dmd, or the mf unit. I'd start with the radio. The Dx5 has a ratcheting throttle stick, and it's likely the problem. It may not be in neutral. It is likely that the problem is in your radio set up. Reprogram your DMD unit one more time and pay careful attention to where the throttle stick is for the "neutral" setting.I'd remove it from the tank, connect a battery to the rx, and then install a servo on the throttle channel. Now, make sure the throttle stick is in neutral, and turn on the radio and see if there is any action on the servo. If so, then its a radio problem and Spektrum will repair it under warranty. If not, then you'll need to check further. Go ahead and reinstall the rx into the tank.

Next, I'd look at the DMD. Try reprogramming it a few more times. If it still turns on like this, then I'd go ahead and pull one out of another tank and replace it to see if it does the same thing. (if you don't have another tank, then you'll need to borrow a buddy's or do it the hard way, and assume it's bad, and send it in to Tamiya for a replacement). When you know you've got a good one, then install and see what happens. If it doesn't fix it, then it will undoubtedly be the MF unit.

For additional hints, you might try posting this on armornuts. It's got some die hard Tamiya tankers on it.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
darkith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bunting Tosser

small problem of both motors going in reverse for 5 seconds when start button was first switched.
Sounds like the startup position stored in the RX may be a problem. The RX remembers the position of each channel when you bind the it to the TX, and will assume that position (except the throttle) until it locks onto the TX (so that the servos startup in a known good position). Note also that if the RX looses link to the TX (radio problem), the most Spektrum RXes will keep all the channels at their last position, except the throttle, which will go to the bind position (aka failsafe).

Rebind the AR500 to the DX5e. Make *sure* you have all the channels in the centered position. Then go through the DMD/MF programming steps.

D.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks D,

I knew I was forgetting something. Rebind, rebind, rebind. I'd lay money on that being your problem.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:44 PM
AL D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup - did the rebind and this solved the problem! Thanks guys!

BUNTS