Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

IR or Airsoft??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:38 AM
KV-1 cmdr
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IR or Airsoft??

I am wondering why so many members/clubs are choosing IR over Airsoft? I thought the idea of having a "Tank" was to blast things with the main gun.

just wondering,that's all...

thanx
Old 05-17-2009, 02:40 AM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: IR or Airsoft??

If you want to "blast things" you can always buy an airsoft gun. Static targets get boring after awhile, and do you think that someone who spent hours detailing a tank is going to let you blow way all that hard work?

If you can get enough tankers together, with IRyou can stage battles. It is tough enough trying to find a large enough open space to stage these battles. Now try to find one that is going to allow poorly aimed , RC controlled airsoft pellets flying every which way!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62143.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1200051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78945.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1200052  
Old 05-17-2009, 04:56 AM
ManMachine

Imagen that you spend 100 hours on buildiing, detailing and painting a tank. Adding alot of fine scale details, photo etch and more. Spending 1000$ on it and then you head out batteling. Your fine work get shot at and blasted, paint breaks, details destroyed etc.. I can't see what's good with that. It's similar to building a hotrod and when it's done, you take a hammer and smack it here and there..

Extream maybe, but that's how I see it I whould get a heartatack if someone started shooting bullets at my tank

Well ok, if it is a "out of the box" tank then I dont mind some airsoft batteling, for example HL or Matorro tanks. There is no fine detail, hours of work and money spent there.

Gabriel
Old 05-17-2009, 06:34 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: ksoc

If you can get enough tankers together, with IRyou can stage battles. It is tough enough trying to find a large enough open space to stage these battles. Now try to find one that is going to allow poorly aimed , RC controlled airsoft pellets flying every which way!
Its asmuch the poorly-aimed R/C control as the insurance requirements that go along with it. Any time you have projectiles flying, you have the risk of a spectator being injured by a stray BB (or claiming they were injured by it!) Ask the 1/6 paintballers about it, or the aircraft guys (MAAC/AMA).Even the aircraft insurance only covers them at their designated flying fields. Fly at the neighboorhood park, and its YOUR insurance (if you have any...) I just checked the MAAC regs, and it may mean I won't be taking up THAT hobby... can't afford the insurance -it AIN'T included in the club membership...

WhiteWolf
Old 05-17-2009, 08:00 AM
pattoncommander

Gabriel, some good points, however please do not refer to HL tanks as "out of the box tanks with do degree of detailing".Of my 34 tanks, only 1 is Tamiya and 2 are WSNT-34 variants. Nearly all of my tanks are conversions to other models and are are highly detailed to represent tanks that actually served and which I use at times at my military museum. None of my guns fire as most gun tubes have been replaced by correct size guns, so no paint chipping of detailing being shot off although 5 are IRready. There are some out here that enjoy buildinghighly detailed tanks that actually run and maneuver. The much higher price and non availability of other models from Tamiya make HLtanks and availability of conversions ideal for such interests.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:41 AM
KV-1 cmdr
My Feedback: (4)

Yes! I do see the points..Iespecially understand the "spectator" 1 full well (I do tires & oil changes at Wally world) & have been accused a zillion times of things - because they want something/anything & we are easy targets!

So I can see that **** happening with "bullets",etc.

They were - "Shooting at us & thebullets were flying all over & trying to kill us!"

I have a HL Pz IV & had it out at a hobby park & just ran it around,then popped off a bunch of rounds to see how far it would shoot...I do not have or would want to spend the $$$ on a Tamiya to get it dirty or broke (my luck even alone) so HL's to me seem logical to me as Iam poor!

Plus for the same amount of $$ of 1 Tamiya I can get many more HL's (as I plan on doing) - KV-1,Tiger 1,& a Pz III,etc...

So thanx for the info,I enjoyed it!

Now to find someone in the Winston/Salem area of NC...

Doug

Old 05-17-2009, 11:33 AM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: KV-1 cmdr

I am wondering why so many members/clubs are choosing IR over Airsoft? I thought the idea of having a "Tank" was to blast things with the main gun.

just wondering,that's all...

thanx
Welcome to an awesome hobby!

I started out bash battling the tanks them we tried to do the airsoft battling,, but then what happens is " I hit you not you didin't yes I did ....." Or you can go paintball but the tank doesn't get any weaker, plus the guns are cheap and break,, you could go with CD or you could go with metal BB's and make parts of your tank out of Balsa but I tell you hat man it is hard enough to get guys together to IR Batlte no you have the Added perceived or real worry of rounds flying and poking someones eye! So that is why I really like the laser tag IR battles but after each hit you get weaker and you eventually die,, it becomes a chess match when you have the different weighted tanks,, terrain, skill levels and teamwork! And bleive me man the ifrst time you go to a large battle and you have 8 or 10 tanks coming towards your team,, you start to get a little nervious and start comunicating with your team mates to avoid being taken out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg3bu-iwxdA

The Blitz

RCTankWars.com
Old 05-17-2009, 02:27 PM
ManMachine

Pattoncommander: I dont intend to degre or talk bad about HL or anything else, I just took them as an example since they are equiped with airsoft units from the box.. and tamiya is not so I couldent use it as an example.

Ofcourse, same thing about HL, Matorro or any other brand.. if hundreds of hours spend and alot of money, same thing applys! I like HL much, I am working on detailing an pz III at the moment.. and same as any other tank I have done, no one shoots at it, would make my heart break.

And what I ment with "out of the box" is, brand new, unmodified, unpainted.. all tank brands are "out of the box" until you start working on it. I guess you get what I ment now.

Offtopic: I dont think any of the more common rc tank brands (tamiya, matrro, hl, wsn) has that good detail, it's ok but they all need alot of work if you want them true to scale. I have no intention of saying that HL is worse or Tamiya better.. I dont care which. It's not the brand that makes a beutifuly modeled, detailed and painted, it is the person that have done the job And I stick with what I said, you don't hammer a beutiful hotrod.

Hope I don't step on more toes now, sorry for the mess pattoncommanrer.
Gabriel
Old 05-17-2009, 02:34 PM
michelekingtiger

yeah but KV-1 cmdr is right, tanks come with airsoft guns so why dont we use them over IR, yu know get a load of paintball pellets and stage a proper right with proper accuracy and skill instead of lasers :P

<script>titleAndStar(3,100,0,false,"","")</script>
Old 05-17-2009, 02:46 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually I like airsoft if it is only you playing around with your tanks it's more fun blasting stuff!!
But you can do battle with biodegradable ECO BB's they leave a mark of like chalk on the tank when hit and it brushes off when done...LOOK!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbgOi...e=channel_page
Old 05-17-2009, 03:41 PM
kennywsp
My Feedback: (3)

Me I am going all I/R now.If nothing else but for the recoil and such. Plus the guns tend to get weak after some use or plain stop working.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:45 PM
swathdiver

I like both. But how would you like it if Perry came over to play at your house and started punching holes and knocking off $20 parts off your favorite tank with his airsoft gun? You could spend hours combing the yard for all those parts shot off your tank!
Old 05-17-2009, 05:15 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All good points...I guess I could appreciate the IRmore if one of the rules was that the IRtransmitter had to be set in the breach of the main gun. I've seen too many tanks and videos of tanks where the IRLEDis at the muzzle or just behind it (some even outside of the main gun) and the natural fan of the LED caused the tank to score hits on another tank that would have clearly been a miss if some form of a solid projectile were used.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:19 AM
PanzerAce
My Feedback: (1)

I really dont ahvea  preference. If i ahd to choose i would go with infared.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Ern

Both version have their strong points - so buy one of each!!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 AM
TexasSP

To me the novelty of the airsoft wears off really quick.  Yes it shoots a real projectile but most of the time the system is either poor from the beginning or looses strength rather rapidly.  I will be converting my tanks to IR when funds permit.  Unfortunately for cash flow, tanks are not my only RC's and I have to spread the wealth around.

Now if my tanks shot small exploding shells that would be fun!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:31 AM
YHR

I have only two tanks that still fire projectiles.

There is an explosive device called a " Bear scare".  It can be fired using a flare pen.  I intend to experiment with this.  You thread this explosive device on the end of your cannon.  Fire a metal bb, striking the firing pin of the Bear scare.  It travels about 30 meters and then explodes with the sound of a shotgun.  it is used to scare bears and get them on the run.

No way you want to ever get caught doing this, but  the temptation is very strong.

You want the "Bangers"

Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 AM
YHR

They also make somethtng called a screamer.  It is like a tracer that screams as it takes flight.  Range  100 meters!!!!!!.  Up scale that and you got shots traveling 1.6 KM or 1 mile!!!!!!!  Only single shots mind you, but the visual effect these would have would be great.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:24 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Or use these 6mm fire exploding airsoft BB's if they ever get them in stock!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StkD0...layer_embedded