Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

low profile gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:04 AM
cheap tank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low profile gearbox

i have 4 sets of low profile gearboxes and the right side ones run slow. i have tried zero timed motors and chainging pinyon depth but get the same thing. if anyone has the same problem and has found out why please post thanks.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:01 AM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: low profile gearbox

Are they so far off that the trim doesn't work?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:32 AM
cheap tank

it depends witch motors and boxes but yes they all do it and it does not seem to do it with std boxes. i have fixed up a few of them and just wonderd if someone else had the same problem. i am kinda stumped
Old 10-07-2009, 11:51 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you break them in? How many rpms apart are they? Closest I've been able to get is about 14rpms difference. Easily corrected with trim lever.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM
cheap tank

working on my new stug today i think i figured it out. using 8t pinyon the solder on the motor is hitting and pushing it up just enough to put drag oh box. i was starting to question my sanity. yes they are run in with valve compound and solderd bushings.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

I have a stug and yes there is something wrong with the one with the adjusted motor. What did you do to correct that?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 PM
cheap tank

if you have the motors with metal back i have not gotten them to run strait. try the white back motors they seem to be timed at zero and run the same speed in both derectons. after fixing clearance problem in my stug they run strait with trim at zero.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:43 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

they are the white capped motors but I find it pulsates (like the gears or tracks are binding somewhere)
Old 10-07-2009, 11:22 PM
chinito_03

am using the selver of metal capped motor.. no problem so far... and it came from my plastic gearbox.. cuz my metal gearbox came with the white plastic capped motor.. ive noticed the plastc capped motor drains more energy fro my the battery than my silver/metal capped motor.. thats based on my observation... now i am using the silver/metal capped motor from my plastic gearbox because the white plastic cover popped out with i was pushing the pinion gear (i dont know is thats the right name for it)..

daryl
Old 10-08-2009, 06:39 AM
cheap tank

try taking the gearboxes out and see how they spin with no motors. sometimes you need to shim or cleah up gear teeth. i have had good luck with white motors with 8t pinyon. you can use a paper clip to hold the brushes open and put the cap back in then bend tabs back down. i have taken a couple apart to clean out the carbon
Old 10-09-2009, 12:14 AM
chinito_03

heres my home made 3:1 gear reduction.. i just follow what bubbajoexx said.. but didnt really follow all the way.. i used diff gears and cut the extra gear to pieces to have my desired speed and power... when it comes to power it went beyond my expectation..... now am trying to make another gearbox for my remaining 3 tanks like what the guy from poland did.. two gearbox in one tank if i make it thru then my next project would be two gearbox combined to 1 gearbox for fast and slow movement... still figuring out how to do it.. =)
for now heres the vid of my fav tank with my 3:1 gearbox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jxJTuPS7Q

daryl
Old 10-09-2009, 06:09 AM
cheap tank

chinito the tiger and vid is great. i have onley moded 1 3to1 gearbox in kv1 i used a gear from matorro kt box and tam motors. i will be doing more when i find gears it is the best low cost mod i have done.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:52 AM
chinito_03

thanks. yup! .. hehehehhe
been trying diff gears (losi pinion gear and spur gear combination)
finally got one.. i remove the losi pinion gear from the 2nd plastic gear and combined it to the spur gear from the 3rd plastic gear.
and there you go, got my desired power and speed.. hehehehhehehe...
used alot of all purpose grease to take out the friction noise from the plastic gear touching the metal gear..

daryl