Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

1/16 Scale rc Cromwell Tank build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/16 Scale rc Cromwell Tank build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 06:40 PM
bigfiver69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/16 Scale rc Cromwell Tank build thread

Now I got it, Sassgrunt.... For the sake of keeping the tracks from slipping too much, I think I'm going to leave them as is. Something to think about though!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:22 AM
bigfiver69

Just a little update on the Cromwell.

I've the tub for the hull complete, and I'm just adding some details before I paint it and add the wheels. The general shape is correct, and I'm getting some rivets on.... hoping to finish the details and get the tub and wheels into paint this week. Then, onto the superstructure and turret.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	zx70443.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1522038   Click image for larger version

Name:	hc91735.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1522039   Click image for larger version

Name:	va73645.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	1522040  
Old 10-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Chow_Hound

I like this build. Very good. I'm waiting to see how it comes out.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:39 PM
bigfiver69

Me too!!

But seriously, it's coming along fine, but it's slow progress. My last major conversion took 8 months. This is shaping up to be about the same.

I've got the hull finished, and hoping to paint it tonight. My big goal is to get the wheels on, fit the tracks, wire it up and test drive the chassis over the next couple of days.

I'll post shots!

Speaking of tracks... how do you guys all paint your tracks. I was going to spray them dark earth, wash them with black and then drybrush them with a metal colour. But I am totally open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Shep
Old 10-31-2010, 08:02 AM
1sgt

Shep,
Are you going to use metal or plastic/nylon track. If it's the later choice, your plan sounds good. If metal, I had good luck soaking my metal tracks in vinegar for and hour twice, then used gun blue. came out great.

Jim
Old 10-31-2010, 09:34 AM
bigfiver69

Hey Jim.

I'm going with the plastic.... so I'll wind up painting them. Interesting technique for colouring the metal tracks.

Shep
Old 10-31-2010, 10:34 AM
bigfiver69

Okay, here's the latest.

Got all the wheels on, the rear end and front end details on, and the top fender plates. Also, got a nice coat of Tamiya Khaki Drab on there. Starting to feel Cromellian!

I haven't run an engine test yet, but there's no hury on that. Next steps are to get the upper decking boxed, built and detailed, and to clean up the Turret from the Wittmann figure set.

Really starting to look like a tank now...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yw69081.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1526079   Click image for larger version

Name:	sn41627.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1526080   Click image for larger version

Name:	di11066.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1526081   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca82013.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1526082   Click image for larger version

Name:	us53081.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1526083  
Old 11-07-2010, 11:24 AM
bigfiver69

Cromwell build update....

Boxed in the very basic shape of the forward superstructure, and started work on the turret.

The turret is from the Wittmann figure set, and it's an interesting challenge. It is definitely overscale and there is the fact that large sections of the turret are missing, because it was simply part of a presentation base for a figure. But the detail is amazing, especially around the working hatches. I've had to replace the missing parts with sheet styrne and there's a lot of auto filler on there. Looks fugly right now, but in the end it's going to look great I think. My main worry is whether or not the turret is too overscale for the chassis... I'm really hoping that once I get the stowage boxes on and give everything some paint, it'll merge in nicely with the rest of the tank.

The turret will turn and the gun will have elevation, using the old WSN components. There will also be sound, but of course, it'll sound like a t34!

Lemme know what you all think.
Shep

Old 11-07-2010, 11:27 AM
bigfiver69

Seeing the photos, I relaize I did a truly crap job on the cover plates for the front return wheel.... that's something I'll be fixing up for sure.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Flyn Chris

Nice detail on the turret, but you are right, the turret looks too large, maybe 1/14th scale? Like you said, once it's all painted maybe it won't look as large.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:06 PM
kclank

ORIGINAL: bigfiver69

Speaking of tracks... how do you guys all paint your tracks. I was going to spray them dark earth, wash them with black and then drybrush them with a metal colour. But I am totally open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Shep
I paint mine flat black, make a wash of redish-brown and put the tracks and paint into a coffee can or similar container, swirl them around then hang the tracks to dry. After drying i paint , with steel or flat aluminum (if plastic track) or sand (if the tracks are metal) all the high points to highlight the contact points. Of course if yo are using metal they will highlight with use. Some folks like to jst dip their silver metal tracks in vinegar or gun bluing.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 AM
1sgt

Hey Jim.

I'm going with the plastic.... so I'll wind up painting them. Interesting technique for colouring the metal tracks.

Shep

Yeah, it did come out good. I forgot to mention, I used this on the steel colored metal tracks and that you need to wash the tracks real good after the vinegar soaks. It seems the vinegar leaves a bit of scale residue that the bluing won't color.

. I haven't done anything to the black colored metal tracks that came with my Jagd and Panther ( although I have been thinking of using just the gun bluing on them to cut down on the shine). Hope this helps anyone using metal tracks.

Jim
Old 12-26-2010, 11:28 AM
bigfiver69

Hey guys,

Finally got around to doing some more work on the Cromwell. Had to make some tough decisions regarding the functionality of the canon. Because I'm just kitbashing the WSN electronics and components, I had to make do with those. The T34 elevation unit was simply too large to fit in the the Cromwell turret (unless I built a dummy stowage box onto the back of the turret for it to spill into, but I didn't want to do that.)

I did, however, get the recoil working and the turret rotation is going to be fine - those I did have to cut clearance windows in the side of the upper hull to accomodate the turret ring... they'll be covered by the hull stowage boxes common to these types of cruiser tanks.

Also, got the surfaces on the turret all looking good, and the new bolts on the starboard side added. So, that part is shaping up. By the end of the holidays, I intend to have the hull all boxed in, and all the electronics and components running. Then I can focus on detailing it and getting the finishes on it by end of January.

Thanks for looking
Shep
Old 12-26-2010, 11:34 AM
bigfiver69

Guys,

Some weird mojo with my photos... it's like they're spread out all over. I may have to re-upload them, but I'll have to do it later.

There are six images altogether. If you click on any of them, they should snap to the size of your browser window.

Shep

Old 12-29-2010, 08:08 AM
bigfiver69

Okay, let's try this again....

I was able to get the Cromwell barrel faired in to work with the T34 recoil system. Had a to use good old Milliput to make sure everything stayed in place.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:19 AM
bigfiver69

Next, had to finish turret clean up. Here, I've filled and sanded the battle damage from the original Cromwell turret, and added the new bolts which I took from the read of the turret.

Here, I've finished the fine sanding, and given the turret a shot of primer. Looks pretty sharp.

And then, checked out on the hull..... the hatches look amazing!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:21 AM
bigfiver69

Finally, decked in the back section. Note that I'm using Lego blocks to add strength and to help keep things square - they're amazing. Also, note the box holes on the side of the decking, to allow the speaker to be heard. They will be covered on the final tank by the flared plating on the sides. All in all, coming along nicely!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigfiver69

Finally, decked in the back section. Note that I'm using Lego blocks to add strength and to help keep things square - they're amazing. Also, note the box holes on the side of the decking, to allow the speaker to be heard. They will be covered on the final tank by the flared plating on the sides. All in all, coming along nicely!

That's a really beautiful build. The turret is eye candy to me. And the Lego block idea knocks me out......LOL.........Why didn't I think of that? Do they work with styrene cement or do you use CA????

Rex

Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 AM
bigfiver69

Hey Rex,

I use CA on everything... I buy the cheapy kind at the dollar store (It's not even crazy glue brand!) and it sticks fast and like concrete.

The lego block thing is an old-time scratchbuilders trick from way back - they're perfectly engineered to be 100% square every time. Nothing better for setting up corners. Beats eye-balling for sure!

Shep

Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 AM
kclank

I'm with Rex on this one. The lego use is wonderful, kinda like machinist 1-2-3 blocks. I guess i will start on my Cromwell build later in January. I should finish my Panzertroyer in the next couple of weeks and the Cromwell is calling to me. I am considering a dual project where I build the Cromwell and a Comet at the same time. That way I can take advantage of similarities of many details.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Rex Ross

Hey Rex,

I use CA on everything... I buy the cheapy kind at the dollar store (It's not even crazy glue brand!) and it sticks fast and like concrete.

The lego block thing is an old-time scratchbuilders trick from way back - they're perfectly engineered to be 100% square every time. Nothing better for setting up corners. Beats eye-balling for sure!

Shep

Hey Back, I'm an old scratchbuilder and I never thought of that!!!!.........you wouldn't believe the expensive machinists type of tools I have bought to make stuff straight, square, plumb, etc. The name Lego is just gonna look funny next to the stuff I have that is named Starrett, Craftsman, etc. Dang it! I thought I knew everything.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:22 PM
bigfiver69

Several years ago, I bought a near-complete run of Scale Modeler magazine off ebay. The books from the 1970-73 period are a treasure trove of little scratchbuilder tips.... picked up a ton of good little 'tricks of the trade' from them.

Hmmmm... maybe we should start a 'scratchbuilders tricks and tips' thread?

Shep

Old 12-29-2010, 01:23 PM
bigfiver69

I'm thinking hard about a Comet too, once the Cromwell is done... but I think I might go for a Grant tank in Western Desert colours. Always loved that tank!

Shep

Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lego is amazing stuff. Just aout every model I kit bash has a lot of Lego in it. My Sherman Fireflies are full of the stuff. From internal gun mounts to external stoarage boxes, lego has a role to full. When glued together the stuff is incredibly strong.

My last use of the stuff was to build a snap lock receptacle for the Mato Metal hull.

Anyway I solidly stand in support of Lego.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Rex Ross

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigfiver69

Several years ago, I bought a near-complete run of Scale Modeler magazine off ebay. The books from the 1970-73 period are a treasure trove of little scratchbuilder tips.... picked up a ton of good little 'tricks of the trade' from them.

Hmmmm... maybe we should start a 'scratchbuilders tricks and tips' thread?

Shep

~~~~~~~~~

Good Gosh......I have every issue of Scale Modeler magazine.......I'm gonna check those volumes out tomorrow. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.