RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/)
-   -   Airbrush question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/6672110-airbrush-question.html)

kuhndog599 11-25-2007 06:06 PM

Airbrush question

I want to get one but really don't know everything about them. I got a cheapo testors one from walmart. Do you have to thin the paint before you spray it? I usually use testors paint. Can you use any compressor? I have a relative that has a 5(?) gallon compressor. Does it have to be in any specific psi range? I thought i read somewhere it needs to be between 20psi - 22psi. I don't want to get a really expensive one because I don't build models like I used to, but mostly for my tanks. Thanks.

bravo_2_zero 11-25-2007 06:13 PM

RE: Airbrush question

yeh you can use any compressor realy. I have a direct tankless one thats unbranded along with a VERY cheap airbrush made by Blackspire £2.99 range. I use this paint which i thin down using water, which is about 55ml worth of mix including the paints.
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/7282/im004419dt7.jpg

pzrwest 11-25-2007 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use a generic tankless diapham type compressor and a sigle action Badger 150/200 I think that's the model number I bought it some 30 years ago. I have 2 of them one with a fine tip and one with a medium tip. Here is a scan of my fine tipped one

kuhndog599 11-25-2007 07:18 PM

Well I'll have another tank to paint soon. Just won the Pershing S&S. I've never done this before but heard something about breaking your motors in. Do I just run it on full power for the length of the battery?

WhiteWolf McBride 11-25-2007 07:44 PM

kuhndog599:

If you trust it, check eBay. Thats where I picked up my single-action Paasche H unit with all the accessories. Seems the students buy 'em, and when they don't need 'em, sell them off with very little wear on 'em. Apart from the worn box, my unit could have passed for new.

As for compressors, I blew a chunk way back for a Badger 180 oil-less diaphram years ago, and its still going. These days I'd use the cheapest one I can find, seems you can get 'em for under $50 now and half decent too. Only drago to my unit is the sucker pulses on and off with the pressure sensor on the hose side. I'd not get the variation with an tank between the compressor and hose, but don't have the skills to convert an old propane tank (the suggested method)

As for colors, if you're using acrylic, any of the Walmart or dollar-store fabric acrylics can go into it, but yea, most of them need to be thinned. As everyone says, test the mix out on a piece of cardboard before ya go spray it on your tank.

wackywheelz 11-25-2007 08:17 PM

I run mine at lesser speed (3V?) for a an hour in either direction (30F/30R/30F/30R), til the battery (usually lithium) is dead :)

ah64 11-25-2007 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: kuhndog599

I want to get one but really don't know everything about them. I got a cheapo testors one from walmart. Do you have to thin the paint before you spray it? I usually use testors paint. Can you use any compressor? I have a relative that has a 5(?) gallon compressor. Does it have to be in any specific psi range? I thought i read somewhere it needs to be between 20psi - 22psi. I don't want to get a really expensive one because I don't build models like I used to, but mostly for my tanks. Thanks.

All depends on your AIRBRUSH my Pasche runs at 45-50PSI and my Iwata is 20PSI....I had a testors Airbrush to they get the job done..AS I got more into Models and Tanks I got more exspensive Airbrushes. Airbrushes really arent that exspensive. MY Iwata Detail brush was 160.00 ONLY the brush and my Pashe Double Action was 120.00 With 3 needles and Airhose color cup and 2 Glass bottles. IF you spend alittle more now you will spend less later. That is How I see it anyway. And yes you always have to Thin your paint, the more Fluid the paint the Better the paint Flow and control.

kagero43 11-25-2007 09:10 PM

I have several. A few points:
1) You have a choice between Single Action and Double. If you are new to airbrushing, I would stick with a Single Action (BADGER 200 is good).
2) Thin your paint about 50:50 but this ism only a guide.
3) Make sure you use the same thinner that is compatible with your paint. ie, Testors enamels with Mineral Spirits; TAMIYA with Acrykic thinners etc,.
4) I have 2 diaphram compressors (one a Paasche, and the other Badger) which have lasted me well over 20 years!
5) Play with your paint mixture asa well as air pressure via the compressor. Always practice on scrap surfaces first!

Hope this helps!

shelden3 11-26-2007 12:47 AM

Just to muddy the water, I run a Paasche VL (double action) only because it was given to me and a diaphram pump that was given as well. Mine is an older diaghram one, I see them on ebay now for about 50.00, I've had no issues with it. I will say I bought some acrylic paints and played on card stock first, learned how the lines and settings worked etc...I do like the fact on a DA brush you can bring the color in gradual, but i'm sure a good hand on a SA brush can as well. I've just never used one, and there were times I wished I had a SA when i was learning. I use 2 tips the thin and medium. I did try doing testor enamal's with it thinned but it made a gooey mess, just my experiance, then I found acrylics and never looked back. Here is my tank I painted and added zim to:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_56...tm.htm#5631740

I'm sure it is far from perfect but I liked it. Again, all done with airbrush.

Charlie

PapaIron 11-26-2007 05:24 AM

I use the Iwata Revolution TR-1 and a Badger Anthem for all my painting. The Iwata is the better for small detailed work but I don't like using enamels in my pride and joy so I have the badger for that job.
Both are fairly expensive and possibly over the top for what you want. I only got the Iwata last week and got a fantastic deal on it, I paid £175 for the TR-1 with the moisture trap, I also got a spare moisture trap, an airbrush stand, 3 different Tamiya masking tapes and dispensers, a hose, a battery operated paint mixer and a pot of lube. Great friendly service and I'll be returning to the same place for any future purchases of airbrush equipment.
I use a large compressor, usually without a moisture trap on the badger and this has never given me any issues in regards to model painting.

britishtankman 11-26-2007 08:20 AM

any airbrush and any compressor it realy does not matter . u can either get a 2 action airbrush (better as you can get a smaller and finer line) or just the single action airbrush still very good to use but has the disadvantage of not being able to make fine/better detail lines ectect. i have a clarke pioneer 100 compressor with just a cheap 2 action airbrush from ebay and both work great. ino the compressor aint the cheapest one in the world but im sure u can get a good cheap one from ebay for less then £40. and yes that 5gallon compressor your relitive has that should be more then enough to use with a airbrush (but cheapest aint allways the best when it comes to airtools this is why i went for the clarke 100 compressor)

hope this helps! ;)

shelden3 11-26-2007 09:02 AM

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried the Aztec line? The 4300 series looks good and I like the idea of being able to change tips on the fly.

CS

wackywheelz 11-26-2007 09:35 AM

From what I've seen those who have em love 'em :)

But its like all good airbrushes, once you have a good one you never get rid of it...