Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

servos ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 04:37 AM
colossus281

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servos ?

Your opinion what are the best servos to use in a losi 8right t 2.0 thanks
Old 08-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: servos ?

Anything that's reasonably fast and torquey will do for the brakes. For the steering, you need at least 200oz-in of torque, more is preferable. After that, go as fast as you can afford. Personally, I swear by these...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rvo-w-Heatsink

But these are also very good by all accounts...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ium-Gear-Servo
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Digital-Servo
Old 08-16-2011, 07:34 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are lots of good servos. I used to swear by the Hitec titanium servos, like the 7955 - and still do. I have a couple of the 5955 and they are among the most reliable products in RC in my experience.

I recently got a Savox 1258 twin from Spektrum, and have it on gas/brakes in my DM-1, and I really like the speed of it...

I also recently picked up a used RC8B which had an ACE DS1015. I had for sssooo long heard about so many issues with the Aces, that I never went near one. So far though, I like this servo - especially the speed..

Pick your poison - there are all kinds of servos for all kinds of budgets. At the low end, Savox 1258 for gas/brakes and Savox 1256 for steering maybe(though I'd prefer a 1258 on steering too for the speed..) Middlish get two Aces' or two Hitecs(or the Hobbico 5955 twin from tower - the CS 170 I think it's called..)

Going up the ladder, I'm sure Futaba and Airtronics also make some great servos.

You want something with at least 15 kilos and IMO .12s@6V or faster on steering, and also 12-15 kilos on gas/brakes, at
Old 08-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Foxy

Titanium gears are a gimmick and worthless.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Then why did you just recommend 2 of them?

Old 08-16-2011, 06:22 PM
colossus281

I think i will go with savox sv-1270sg it has 347 oz torque with .08 and the 1258tg that has 166 oz torque with .08 do you think that would be good
Old 08-16-2011, 11:48 PM
HerrSavage

Maybe.. But the titanium Hitecs will outlast the Ace's any day. All across the world you see guys buying and searching for ACE servo repair kits, housings, whatever.. Hitec titanium gears do not fail.

Actually, I think I've changed my mind. They're not a gimmick. At least not with Hitec.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

Then why did you just recommend 2 of them?

I didn't recommend them because they had titanium gears, rather because of the specs of the servo being ideal for the application. If a cheaper steel geared versoin of the servos existed, I would recommend those over the Ti geared ones every time. Unfortuntealy, there isn't.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:58 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Maybe.. But the titanium Hitecs will outlast the Ace's any day. All across the world you see guys buying and searching for ACE servo repair kits, housings, whatever.. Hitec titanium gears do not fail.

Actually, I think I've changed my mind. They're not a gimmick. At least not with Hitec.
I have 6 Ace DS1015s, all working today like the day they were new. Jus saying. The only reason I say Ti gears are a gimmick is because steel is just as good, in fact some steels are harder than any titanium. There is absolutely no weight advantage to Titanium in gears this small, it's simply a matter of hardness.

Sure, the Titanium gears in the servos under discussion are harder than say, the metal gears in a hitec 645, but not so much harder as to be worth the extra cost.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:58 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: colossus281

I think i will go with savox sv-1270sg it has 347 oz torque with .08 and the 1258tg that has 166 oz torque with .08 do you think that would be good
Beautiful servos, go for it.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:15 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: colossus281

Keep in mind, those torque figures are when using a LiPo battery.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:45 PM
colossus281

Would you know more are less what it would be using 5-Cell 6V NiMH Hump Receiver Battery Pack
Old 08-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Foxy

More than acceptable (still awesome), you don't need to worry about it.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:04 PM
jmaxey51

savox servos dont last... go through them every 3-4 months... you get what you pay for... they are also VERY over rated, spec wise.

spend the extra money on a hitec or Hobbico CS-170 (which is a hitec 7955) and they will last for many years, i have a few that are 2-3 years old and work just like they were new. customer service is far better than savox also.

HOWEVER, i run Futaba servos now, i prefer them over all servos ive owned (ace, hitec, hobbico, JR, airtronics, savox). i run the Futaba S9157 for steering and BLS351 for throttle/brake. for buggy and truggy.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:06 AM
zsmatt

Ressurecting this thread & I know this is probably an obvious question - but do you really have to be payingwhat looks like £50+ for servos before you start getting decent longevity coupled with decent torque and transit times!???

I only ask as all this is relatively new to me and my Hong Nor X1X CRT that i've been bashing with recently has gone through 2 servos in quite a short space of time (servo that's used for throttle/brakes btw!), and Ok - they've been cheapo RTR jobbies that came with the truggy when i bought it, But i'm just trying to get an idea of what i need to be looking at/paying for servos if i want ones that are fast/torquey and will stand the test of time!!!

It's become a VERY relevant piont for me now as i was out bashing today and had two bad runaways (even though i had the failsafe set properly on my radio gear!), Which upon further investigation turned out to be a dead throttle/brake servo which must have jammed open- hence the car tramming off full pelt in which-ever way it was facing!!! Can't have that keep happening as it's only a matter of time before something bad happens (to me/someone else or the truggy itself!)

I suspect you guys will say that cheap servos are cheap for a reason, and if you want quality you have (like anything i suppose!) got to be willing to pay for it!

Fair comment!?

Cheers Matt!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:20 AM
HerrSavage

I disagree when people say "you get what you pay for" across the board. That is simply no longer the case as a blanket statement - with, for example, engines.

But with servos, I'm afraid it is.

I've been there and done that - got the cheap servos, and they all died.

You can get good engines from Asia, even good budget kits.

With servos though, you have to pay more. Again, Hitec titanium servos are the most bullet-proof RC product I know of. They cost, but they peform and they last.

If you can't swing them, I say try Savox. Good value-for-money, but probably not the bullet-proof factor of Hitec.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 AM
zsmatt

How much do i need to be budgeting then??? £50-£100!???
Old 08-25-2011, 11:33 AM
HerrSavage

Can you order from the States? If so, check out the CS-170 at www.towerhobbies.com .

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNRN6&P=ML

If it has to be from the UK, check out local prices for the Hitec 7955TG. They might even have more modern models - but to be honest the predecessor of the 7955 - the 5955 - is perfectly good.

I know expensive servos are hard to swallow. But really, IMHO they are worth it. Your truggy will be so much more agile and responsive feeling.. And I'm not the type to buy expensive Novarossi engines and stuff cuz I think spending more automatically means better. But again, with servos it pretty much does - in my experience anyway.

I would invest 50ish in steering, and 35 or so on gas/brakes. If you're hesitant on the Hitec prices, again..., try Savox... 1256 or whatever the successor is for steering, and the 1258 or successor for gas/brakes. Kind of hard to keep up with servos these days, as the companies all seem to be coming out with new versions that can take driect lipo batteries or whatever... If you're not doing that, make sure you're not paying extra for servos that can handle it...
Old 08-25-2011, 11:45 AM
zsmatt

I don't mind paying out as long as my money bags me "marked" improvements, and i'd rather simplify things by buying the same servos for throttle/brake & steering too - i just want GOOD quality that will last a good while (months/ over a year, not a day or or two as my last two have!!)

Won't be using Lipos- just a boggo ish 1600mah hump pack with them!

Longevity and reliability are all i want mostly, gets tiresome keep having to swap duff parts out! Lol!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:25 PM
jmaxey51

Hobbico CS-170, Hitec 7955 or Hitec 5955(all the same servo)are next to indistructable. you cannot kill them, most reliable and all. i have one thats 3 years old. if you set endpoints correctly then it will last 4+ years easy.

I run Futaba S9157 for steering and Futaba BLS351 for throttle/brake now. they are great servos, my favorite ive tried but those are some pricey servos.