Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Official Hyper ST thread!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Official Hyper ST thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:26 PM
bcane98
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Hyper ST thread!!

ORIGINAL: jrau13

^^^^do you have pics of what you are describing? Just as a reference. I kinda want the hard stopping ability.
Sorry no luck on the pics...
Old 07-27-2007, 06:40 PM
jrau13

No worries I think I know what your saying.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:03 PM
brad65ford

I'm in the same boat with engine tuning myself. I don't know where to put the msn, since I screw'ed with it. I don't have a heat light to knowthe true temp, but I can hear the fuel bowling when its off. I'll be back.............................................. ..............

OK.
I just got done with my 7th tank, I took apart the carb to line up the msn hole (one of the largest I could tell by eye) with the hsn. And I also removed the silver shim. After 10/15mins for back and forth full throttle runs 3/4 second bursts, I could tell it got to hot you can hear it wasn't peaking out as much so I gave more fuel with the hsn= this seem to help cool it down some. I got it running farly good, the excellertion isn't to bad but I thought the top speed would be alittle bite more, I don't believe its hitting 50 mybe 42 LOL. Its by far stronger than my t-maxx but hell what itsn't. I'm new to truggy/buggys but I don't think anybody can get this thing to do a wheels even with diff oils stuff; its just not geared for it. I've never had a center diff before, I've got alot to learn. I hope I can keep this motor from over heating, I don't think its worth me buying a heat sink?

Also the OFNA battery pack with it fully charged / with what ever servo it comes with = Sucks big d***. It drains the battery so much after 15mins its shot. Anybody have some help on this one?

All and all I'm very happy with it truck. Thanks guys for lessoning to me bs.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:14 PM
srussell

Can anyone help me with size / type of glow plug for the Hyper ST? I just purchased the Hyper ST and I'm new to RC hobby...no glow plug came with the car and I haven't seen anything in manual that describes what type glow plug to use. Primarily I need to know if Mach .28 engine takes a short or long shaft glow plug (and also a recommendation on glow plug temp...hot, medium, cold - I'm thinking medium temp, which is more for general use??)
Old 11-07-2007, 08:20 PM
sirvancealott

I use the OS No. 8 Plug, but I switched my engine out to a picco p3. Still, that plug should work for you. I had all kinds of trouble getting that engine to run correctly (macstar .28). Ran hot no matter how I set the carb and blew out after a gallon. I'll be interested to hear if yours works out. If not, the picco p3 has worked really well for me. I have over three gallons through it and its has great compression and power. The directions for the hyper ST suck by the way. The engine is not even addressed at all in them.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:07 AM
wrat

do not use os plugs with hyper engines..mccoy 8's
Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 PM
srussell

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:52 PM
The_Machine

Sorry guys I've just caught up with this thread. Here's why the shim thing works:

I can't remember exactly why, but these engine are pretty much shimmed for 30% nitro. Supertib knows the exacts, so if I can find the post that explains I will post. Removing the silver shim will allow for lower nitro content fuels. That is the best I can offer right now.
Because with both shims in, compression is lower forcing you to lean the needle out too far to get respectable speed. By removing the shim you raise compression thus enabling you to run richer and still get good power numbers. It's all about understanding hi-strung 2 stroke engines.
WARNING:
Do this at your own risk! Make sure you richen the needle to compensate for the higher compression. Remember boys & girls hi-comp = hi-temps. There's a fine line to walk between a DNF & the checkered flag.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:06 PM
rologti

Hi guys, seem that i have the same problem of temperature, but after 1 1/2 gallon.

First, it's true that the Mac .28 runs hot, i use 30% nitro and a MC 8, it runs great arround 280 (some were i've read something like "use the temp gauge as reference only, but keep watching in the amount of smoke and how it sounds), before that i've use the engine about 220 and it was a bit slow. Also, the hole that i've make, is of the size of the windshield (yes maybe too big, but better biger than smaller). For the record, i have never had the fuel tank issue

Then i make the mistake, i've move all needles, and i screw it up, now I can't find a right setup, the truggy didn't bring the set up sheet for the engine, so for the picture and for what i've had read, the mid needle flush to the carb, low end flush and the 3.5 turns out, and the HSN, flush and about 1 turn lean.

I've do that and it runs, not as before (before this truggy eats a revo, now i don't think so). If i lean the HSN the temperature could rise up to 320, and runs almost the same, if i lean the LSN, it runs awful.

Also i have read a lot about the o rings or those rubber shims that goes in the carb (don't know the exact word in enlish) cause 90% of the problems, 99% of people say that if you change those parts of the carb the trouble is gone, because this things cause a lot of seal problems

So if someone have the original setting of the needles would be great, and it would be even better if someone could tell me the needle setting fron full close and the amount of turns out. (Someone told me that the settings for this engine was the same for the hyper .21 8 port)

This weekend i'll continue working with the engine and i'll post any changes...
Old 11-30-2007, 07:25 AM
The_Machine

A good rule of thumb is to start with the H&L needles set at flush. That is, the tops of the the screws should be flush with the top of the tube. Know what I mean? The car'll run, but be really rich. You'll have to start tuning again.

As far as the mid needle, I don't know where to set that as I haven't touched mine.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:55 AM
rologti

On Saturday i'll take pictures, because if i leave the low needle flush to the carb, the engine runs incredibly lean, i have to rich it about 3.5 turns to make it run....
Old 11-30-2007, 04:58 PM
dr.bjm

In the pro kit does it come with clutch assembly and flywheel?
Old 12-07-2007, 03:13 PM
The_Machine

No, no. Flush at the end of the barrel. Start tuning from that point. Motor should be fairly rich.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:14 AM
rican25

I just broke in my Mac Star .28 in my Hyper today and the manual says HSN 61/2 out from fully seated/closed but this brings the needle head way out from flush and the LSN needle says 1/2 out from closed and I have to say neither of these worked for me. I set the HSN flush and had to richen the LSN up some to get to run in a safe temp. 6 tanks starting at 160F and ending at 220F and my break in is done. I will tune tomorrow but I bet those needles are wrong for performance and I know alot of people say never mess with the LSN but ask ericem and lots of others when I was breaking in my Savage 4.6 the needles were WAYYY rich to even run and now the thing is a beast but only after I messed with the LSN. I will continue to tune the way I have been and the Savage is a bit over 1 1/2 gallons now and still pulls like a champ.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:40 AM
bcane98

Make the needles flush and you will have stock settings... When I had my MacStar I put about 1/2 gallon through it and the needles were:

HSN 1.5 - 2 in from flush
LSN was 1/2 turn in from flush.

I was averaging temps in the 260's... OBTW pending on which nitro you are using you may want to remove the silver shim or copper shim... I was running 25% and removed the silver shim... if I remember correctly...
Old 12-15-2007, 08:41 AM
rologti

ORIGINAL: The_Machine

No, no. Flush at the end of the barrel. Start tuning from that point. Motor should be fairly rich.
Sorry mate, my engish now has some vocabulary problems, what do you mean with "Flush at the end of the barrel"?

I'm thinking in something like, the needle should be flush with the beginning of the head, not the top of the head...i'm right??

Because i was leaving it flush with the top of the head.

-----------
Of topic:

Someone know the specs of these engine (the one that bring the RTR version)?......i'm thinking in a future replacement for it...and for what i've had read, the Ninja .28 is a beast...what do you guys think, how would it run on the ST???...actually, those were 2 questions off topic..

Thank's

P.S...there is a topic (somewere), that a guy nick "Fuelman" has made an FAQ section, it has about 12 pages of a lot of important issues about fuel, for what i've read, i think some people fuel problems could be solve by reading that forum....i've learn thing's like "racing fuel has a bit less of oil, engines run better with those but should last less", "fuel likes water, and if you are in a hi humidity ambient you should store it carefully and keep most time posibly close or sealed", and "sometiemes fuel separates from oil, a few strong shakes solve it and make a real good change"..things like that...hope this could be useful for someone.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:50 AM
bcane98

ORIGINAL: rologti

..."Flush at the end of the barrel"?

I'm thinking in something like, the needle should be flush with the beginning of the head, not the top of the head...i'm right??

Because i was leaving it flush with the top of the head.
You are correct... flush is measured from the top of the screw head...
Old 12-15-2007, 10:10 AM
rican25

I cant understand how almost no one messes with their LSN!! I hear this all the time. If I dont richen up a bit my car will bog at take off and run like crap (Savage 4.6) and it will never shift. Now the HSN is the one that I dont move very much at all. Now my Mac in the Hyper seems to be benefiting from the same process. What am I doing wrong?
To clarifry the HSN is the one that stands off of the carb with the brass barrell around it right? and the LSN is the bigger one thats in the end of the carb correct? then of course you have your idle screw and thats the real small one.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:24 AM
bcane98

ORIGINAL: rican25

I cant understand how almost no one messes with their LSN!! I hear this all the time. If I dont richen up a bit my car will bog at take off and run like crap (Savage 4.6) and it will never shift. Now the HSN is the one that I dont move very much at all. Now my Mac in the Hyper seems to be benefiting from the same process. What am I doing wrong?
To clarifry the HSN is the one that stands off of the carb with the brass barrell around it right? and the LSN is the bigger one thats in the end of the carb correct? then of course you have your idle screw and thats the real small one.
Perhaps you are not doing anything wrong... I have known drivers to set the HSN and then only adjust the LSN... I have known others to set the LSN and adjust the HSN... it all depends on the driver... If the truck has good smoke, decent temps under 300, and drives like a banshee... you're doing something right.

Yes the HSN is the copper colored barrel, the LSN is on the end of the carb (that part that slides), the MSN should not be messed with, and the idle screw is the tiny one...
Old 12-15-2007, 10:35 AM
rican25

cane you mentioned 4 needles, I only ever messed with 3 is the Main on the other side of the carb? and yes the Savage runs like a banshee and temps are about 250-270 and just loves to be up over 220. anything under that and it doesnt like to shift and smoke is good throught the run.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:50 PM
ericke1

I have been reading all the threads here, just ordered the HYPER ST without knowing about the engine. WHat advice can you give me about breaking in and running the engine, its quite cold here in NY so maybe after break in (in normal temps) I should not have the same heat issues?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:18 PM
spikeitaudi

Just break it in on the warmer day that we have here in NJ and put a sock on the engine head to keep it warm. Make sure you warm up the engine with a hairdryer before you try to start it up for the first time.

That just normal break in for any engine on a cold day. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:17 PM
sirvancealott

The best advice on breaking in a new Hyper ST engine (MasStar .28) is to remove the engine from the frame and place directly in trash recepatacle. The engine that comes with the Hyper ST is absolute junk. I would be suprised if you could go through a gallon of gas without frying it. If you read all these strings you will see that everhone agrees this engine runs HOT!!! Mine blew up before I had a gallon through it. Try a Picco P3 .28 and you will be a lot happier. I have 4 gallons of gas through my picco and it still runs like new.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:40 PM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to let you guys know theres a new mini hyper st coming out for you who love you hyper
http://rccaraction.com/ME2/dirmod.as...B42DE68047A615
Old 02-08-2008, 04:48 PM
spikeitaudi

That is nice. If I was in the market for a Mini Truggy, I would get that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.