Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

truggy or mt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:42 PM
rider313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truggy or mt?

hey guys i am in the market for a 4x4 truck. i was thinking about getting a maxx 3.3 but then i heard alot of stuff that needs matinance on them. and i heard truggies only take about as much matinance as an st truck. which i own now. but i mostly bash in sand pits and construction areas besides the ocasinale race or two. so do truggies bash as good as the mts or not. and which one is more durable. also whichRTR truggywould you guys recomend? thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 AM
karlsyndrome

Default RE: truggy or mt?

A truggy don't wheelie, but it don't roll over when you turn or jump. A truggy has much moore stability.

If you just bash a savage would be great.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:52 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My personal fave for bashing would be the Losi XXL. I have two LST2's and they are just superior RC's.. - handling, jumping, reliable, cheap parts, fast, etc..

Here's my ( 2 1/2 year old..) LST2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us5hIGH0Dac

People differ as to whether truggies are so great for bashing.. I only run mine on race tracks.. For me bashing means getting huge air and being able to plow through higher grass and rough stuff than what I think most truggies are capable of...

That said, truggies can be pretty tough.. (my Muggy was crazy tank-like tough..) Still, they belong more on a track IMO..(not the Muggy - truggies in general..)

The Losi 8T2.0 is awfully nice for an RTR truggy.. Same engine as the XXL MT btw..

The Losis are expensive, but you get an awful lot for what you pay for - Spektrum with telemetry, good solid engine (identical to LRP Spec 3), starterbox with the truggy.., etc..

If you just can't swing the price of the XXL, then I'd recommend a Savage XL or MGT 8.0...
Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 AM
rider313

k my shop caries losi parts so that is kinda nice to here. but ya the losi xxl is kinda high. would you recomend buying a used one off of ebay?
also has anyone here driven the MGT8.0?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:28 PM
HerrSavage

Always gotta be careful with e-bay.. But you can find good deals.. Gotta be REALLY sure you can trust the seller..

If you're into wrenching and have a bit of patience.., something I would do if I lived in the States would be to build one up from chop-shop parts.. Check out jennysrcparts on ebay.com.. GREAT e-bay shop - top service(even to Europe..), communication, prices, everything... Big fan of them.. There are others too..

I'm pretty sure you could piece together an XXL for a good bit less than a NIB one..

But as I said, the initial price is steep, but you get what you pay for..

And btw, check out www.losipartshouse.com for the price of an XXL. Register and put it in your shopping cart and see what the price is.. I'm pretty sure you can get a new XXL for less than $600.. If you're really interested, check out www.lstforums.com and ask around there where's the best price for one.. Ton of Losi info too..
Old 09-07-2009, 12:50 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

A truggy don't wheelie, but it don't roll over when you turn or jump. A truggy has much moore stability.

If you just bash a savage would be great.

Umm truggy's can do wheelie's...you just need a clocked motor and Thick center diff fluid....but dont kid yourself...truggy's CAN wheelie......and really who want's a vehicle to be able to pick the front end up Soooo easily and tip over at the slightest steering input and have to run 100' to flip it back over before it stalls....savage's are imo blah...a waste of $$ in the end as most guys start throwing massive amount's at hop up's that only weigh the thing down till its a 14lb TANK that cant do anything but bog through the gear's....its a pitiful sight really....and then to compare it to a real 1/8 truggy.....[sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-07-2009, 02:03 PM
rider313

thanks guys for all your imput. what do you guys know about the MGT 4.6 or the 8.0?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:27 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what we do with our Truggies...they are a total blast !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGAHKs3ghPU
Old 09-07-2009, 06:03 PM
sexydingles
My Feedback: (2)

you will regret a mt i promise... ive had 2, the tmax and the revo- theyre fun to beat the tar out of but are a snoozefest at the track, truggies have a lot better cog and handle waaaaay better than a monster truck. you will be happy with a truggy i promise. you can get anything to wheelie with enough power.... its all physics my friend. good luck in your decision. in fact go get the z01-t and be my test dummy, i just bought the z01-b and it is nice and am currently looking at the t
Old 09-07-2009, 07:34 PM
rider313

lol no i would not prefer to be a test dummy. supertib that was a nice bash sesion. what truggy would you guys suggest for bashing with the ocasinal race or two in there? i love this info keep it coming guys.

BTW i bash at constuction yard dirt hills, gravel pits, and my motocross track. hope that helps.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:57 PM
sexydingles

i'd go with the cliche everyone says- buy the one that has the most parts support from your hobby shop... the losi 8-t is usually pretty popular, my next venture is the z01-t due to the durability of the z01-b.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:01 PM
INTEGRA

the OD truggy has been breaking lots from what ive read.....a buddy down in Minnesoda has one and cant keep it together for the life of him.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:26 PM
rider313

ya guys i want to spend like $400-$500 bucks here lol. and i have been looking for the losi 8ight t on ebay and i cant find a used one for sale. that tells me they are a good truck since no one wants to get rid of them. What are the differences between the MGT 4.6 and 8.0. Kinda interested in that truck.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:56 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: rider313

ya guys i want to spend like $400-$500 bucks here lol. and i have been looking for the losi 8ight t on ebay and i cant find a used one for sale. that tells me they are a good truck since no one wants to get rid of them. What are the differences between the MGT 4.6 and 8.0. Kinda interested in that truck.

there's MULTIPLE 8t and 8b roller's on the tech right now for Under 250....i Just saw a 8t roller for 185$.

MGT's are RTR piece's of ........i dont need to fill in the rest.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 PM
rider313

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
what do you guys think of this truck. and plz dont go out and buy it from under me please.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:18 PM
INTEGRA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
what do you guys think of this truck. and plz dont go out and buy it from under me please.

Noooo......Junk motor....dispite being BN its a 1.0 ....and All the alum is NOT needed and makes the truck OVERLY heavy.....Dont do it.....Sooo not worth it.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:26 AM
bhcvc

I have both truggies and MTs and I like both for their purposes. MTs aren't very good on the track, but if you're there just to have fun, they can still be fun to drive on the track. Truggies obviously reign supreme between the two on the track as that's what they're really made to do. Truggies are tough as hell too. Most truggies use aluminum for parts that are usually plastic on MTs (i.e. shock towers), even the expensive & toughest MTs. That along with the fact that truggies are lighter than MTs make them damn tough. But my bash sites aren't always truggy friendly (rocks, sudden changes in height) where my truggy will hit it and come to a near dead stop (bad thing for any truck) and I find I enjoy my MTs at those bash areas more as they can get over obstacles that my truggy can't. If your bash sites aren't like mine, then a truggy will work fine over most any rough dirt terrain.
It's a tough question for anyone to answer as you'll just get the opinion of that person (usually an extremely biased one). Do a search and you'll find that these truggy vs. MT threads usually turn into pissing contests. So before that happens, my advice is just take in the info (with some salt) and make your own decision based on how you like to have fun and the areas you bash and race in.
Regarding Savages, I like them, but people have their preferences. They don't handle well relative to LSTs and MGTs, but from my experience, they take huge beatings and I like the TVP design myself. MGTs are the heaviest of the 3 MTs listed, but I've read they're tough too. Between the MGT 4.6 and 8.0, the 8.0 has upgrades over the MGT making it tougher and more durable. If you can swing it, get the 8.0. If I were in the market for another 1/8 MT, I'd probably pick either the Savage XL or the LST XXL as I like BIG MTs. However, I don't like having to use (and stock) SAE tools, so I'd probably pick the Savage. You can probably find used Savage XLs and LST2s for pretty cheap on ebay or RCU for-sale section. Same for MGT 8.0s. For MTs, I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of these 3.
For truggies, pick any of the well known brand ones (Losi, Associated, Mugen, Tamiya, Kyosho, Hot Bodies, etc.) and you'll be fine. They're all tough, handle great, and in the right hands, capable of podiums and winning (when it comes to truggy racing, it's mostly driver IMO). If you're looking for a low-cost RTR truggy that's tough-as-nails, the Thunder Tiger ST-1 is a great pick-up at A-Main. They're an old design, but a fun drive none-the-less (if you have no plans to competitively race). For slightly newer designs, the Losi 8ight-T 1.0 and Mugen MBX5T can be found on ebay for cheap as rollers.
Good luck and happy driving.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 AM
HerrSavage

For real offroading and big jumps, I still say Losi XXL or LST2... Mine has held together fantastically well.. And parts are stupid cheap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us5hIGH0Dac

I'm pretty sure you can get the XXL for 600 bucks.. Lot of dough I know, but TRUST ME - whatever you get is gonna end up costing 600+ really really fast*.. With the XXL you get a great engine(LRP Spec 3 clone..) and the Spektrum radio with telemetry... For what you say you want to do, the XXL IMHO is the best choice..

For bashing around a construction site the MGT is probably OK, same with the Savage XL. The Losi MT's though are just superior machines IMO and experience..

Here's a general tip about RC: if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly from the beginning, and go top notch.. (relatively speaking - no need for $200 servos and all the crazy tuning stuff..) Just suck it up and get what you really really want.. Cuz if you go with something middle-of-the-road, you're gonna end up either being disappointed, OR just dumping more and more money into it and ultimately spend more than what you would have on the best option in the first place....

If you decide it has to be a truggy, then same applies to the 8T2.0.. Expensive, but you get an awful lot for your money...

* OK, you find a used truggy roller for $200. Just a new engine, pipe, clutch - $300 easy... Starter box and batteries - $100. Servos and radio - >$200... Tires, body, spare-parts etc... It gets scary expensive really REALLY fast.. With the XXL or 8T2.0 you're pretty much set right out of the box.. AND, it's ALL NEW...

If you REALLY REALLY know what you're doing, and can find people you can REALLY REALLY trust, you can get good deals on used gear.. But there's always a RISK with used stuff...
Old 09-08-2009, 07:43 AM
rider313

how is the lst 2 guys. what are the diferences between the afrershock/lst2/XXL? this is great stuff guys keep it up, cz i am relativly clue less for knowledge of this stuff. plus in my mind the more persinal opinions i get the wider range of areas i can cover.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 PM
HerrSavage

The LST2 is a much beefier LST1/Afershock.. IMPO the LST2 is the best MT out yet - til the XXL anyway, which is basically the same, but longer and with a better stock engine and radio..

The LST2 handles amazingly, is fast, and is very tough. You may break an a-arm now and then if you jump a lot, but a-arms are DIRT cheap, and an easy fix..(easier than fixing Savage diffs for example...) RC if full of randomly different experiences, but mine is that the LST2 is the best RTR 1/8 offroad yet.. Same would hold for the XXL, cuz as stated they're pretty much the same..

If you don't jump a lot the Aftershock might be OK, but ultimately the LST2 and yes even the XXL are worth the price difference...
Old 09-08-2009, 12:27 PM
larryf333

If you'd like to know how the MGT 8.0 and 4.6 are, just look in the Associated Monster Truck forum. The Truggy vs MT thing has been done too many times on here and always ends up with a long arguement that results in you getting whatever you decide to get. Personal preference, that's all it comes down to. They are both capable and both fun.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:42 PM
rider313

ya i jump alot. weather its off a gravel pit wall to jumps on my motocross track so it sounding like i am leaning towards an lst2 or XXL, so far they dont have any strikes agenst them besides price. and it kind of makes sence. if i pay more initaly and the truck breaks less i save in the end. keep it coming tho guys thiss is great stuff.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:01 PM
rider313

found an lst2 nib for $450 including shipping. Buy it?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:44 PM
sexydingles

if youre getting a mt i would go with a revo or a savage... savages are crazy durable but herrsavage is right, if youre going to buy something, dont try to be too cheap or you may end up spending more than if you bought something good to start. just do your research and pick a class... if youre mostly bashing i would go with an mt just because of the durability and versatility, but dont plan on taking it to the track and having a good time... its almost like asking which is better, on road or off road its going to be your decision in the end mt and truggies are 2 very different vehicles for 2 very different purposes. i'd ask yourself what you will be doing more and will you ever want to go fast on a track... i dont think it should be a pissing contest due to the fact that they are so different. and if youre planning on doing both i would get a revo, you can make it somewhat race worthy, but it still wouldn't keep up with a truggy.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:57 PM
MuggyDude

Get the muggy! It is tough as he!! and it performs better than any MT. You can easily pick up a used, upgraded one for $400 and it will be a nice starter for you if you want to try racing. The maintenance is a lot easier than mt's, and losi is so much better in the mt/1:8 scale category, the lst series dominates the revo/tmaxx and is way more durable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.