Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

World models 80 inch p51 engine advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

World models 80 inch p51 engine advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:53 AM
benjret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World models 80 inch p51 engine advice

First Video of My Miss America with DLE 30 V2 turnigy beech wood 17x10
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTRoJsuwLug[/youtube]

Second video with 17x12 prop..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYDjQG981bE[/youtube]

My Friend Rockwell DLE 30 V1 with Hawk wood 18x10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KFRIyAga0g[/youtube]

Old 08-15-2011, 01:45 PM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have the WM giant Scale p-51D and flew it w/ a Saito 180fs...It was an excellent combo and sounded great.
However, gas engines have soo many benifits..The DLE30 is a nice choice.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:23 PM
styk

Hi Guys
Has anyone ripped out the awful retracts and fitted better quality ones. If so what have you fitted. I've found that it's the only thing that lets this model down. It looks and flies lovely but i've found the legs are too spindly(weak) for the weight of the model. I've flown it 3 times now and there's been an issue with them every flight Yesterday when i was coming into land one wing folded onto the grass and on having a look found that the linkage had fell off. So now it's time to bite the bullet and get myself a decent set of retarcts. Any recomendations??. I thought what about the Robart ones that they do for the Top-Flight P-51 84" What do you guys think. Any help much appreciated
Regards
Styk
Old 10-01-2011, 02:34 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Styk- I replaced mine with Spring Air 400 series retracts. They are very strong. You will need to change the retract mounting rails to fit them but then I do this with all of my arf warbirds. The Robarts could work too of course.

Spring Air is www.retracts.com .
Old 10-01-2011, 07:34 AM
styk

ORIGINAL: rc34074

Styk- I replaced mine with Spring Air 400 series retracts. They are very strong. You will need to change the retract mounting rails to fit them but then I do this with all of my arf warbirds. The Robarts could work too of course.

Thanks very much rc34074 for taking the time to reply. Could i ask you one other thing, what struts and wheels did you use with the spring airs?? and i take it it was the 403's that you used.
regards
Styk
Old 10-01-2011, 05:10 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: styk

ORIGINAL: rc34074

Thanks very much rc34074 for taking the time to reply. Could i ask you one other thing, what struts and wheels did you use with the spring airs?? and i take it it was the 403's that you used.
regards
Styk
Yes i used the regular 403 retracts - but i would recommend the 403s (slimline series) now - they look just as strong and would fit in slimmer wings. I am using 1/2 Robart oleos and 3 1/4 H9 wheels. I consider this plane a sport scale mustang - it sure flies great though. The Robart 622 series would work too but they are not as strong as the Spring Air so they require better/more consistent landing skills. I usually fly fine but I occasionally have brain farts/issues on landing - which started about 3 years ago after I got an infection which put me in the hospital for 5 days (intensive care for 2 of those days) and took 23 lb off me during those 5 days.

I have been using Spring Air gear for about 15 years - they are very reliable. So far I haven't used their oleos since I have bought Robarts at swap meets etc fairly cheaply and I haven't needed to buy any other oleos yet.

Ed