Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

T-6A Texan II 75-91 ARF build suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

T-6A Texan II 75-91 ARF build suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:06 PM
jwjohnson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-6A Texan II 75-91 ARF build suggestions

Nice find. I talked to Tru Turn a couple of years ago looking for a similar adapter. They didn't have them at that time, so that's when I got the drill press and the tap set. (I notice they also have 8mm and 12mm adaptors, so should cover all the big outrunners.)
Sorry about your plane. That's always such a bummer.

ORIGINAL: deuce77

jw,
As an option, you can use the TruTurn adaptor for outrunners: TTE-08394-A. http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store...exact_match=on
That is the one I used and it worked perfectly for their spinner. Price is $22.95.
Jim
Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 AM
deuce77

Bob,
Great info on the props! It is apparent that any of these props will fly the plane since I know the 14x10 is very adequate even though it has the least "pull". It would probably generate more speed, however. I would definitely use the 16x10 for 3-D. Nice work.

Horizon answered my letter, in a general sort of way, but at least they gave me an email address where I can send pictures and make my case.
Jim
Old 03-27-2011, 12:36 PM
deuce77

Here is the video of my T-6 maiden and only flight. Thanks Castle for the video work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HcCz5aXBGo
Jim
Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM
bob418
My Feedback: (4)

Jim

Thanks for the video she looked really nice in flight and seem to have plenty of power.  The landing was hard to watch, I will be interested to see what HH comes back with.

The snow is melting here so I hope to have mine up soon.

I will do some more prop testing but I am getting some interesting results, using a wood Xoar prop vs an APCe prop - it appears I get more pull (thrust) with less watts hmmmm magic??

I will post my results

Old 03-27-2011, 05:49 PM
castlebravo

Man.....that is the pits deuce! But that guy on the camera....what a tool! First he dishes you for screwing around then all that talking! And what a potty mouth at the end! He should resign as official Deuce77 camera man......bad camera man.....bad camera man!!!

CB
Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 PM
deuce77

Castle, you are signed up to do all my maiden flight videos...the entertainement value alone is worth the effort to post them, even if the flying is not. Now, if only my daughter will let me use the camera again we should have another one coming up in the not-to-distant future.
Jim
Old 03-30-2011, 06:42 PM
deuce77

Okay guys, I am back in the game. I will try to do better this time!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30990.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1586474  
Old 03-31-2011, 04:35 PM
bob418

Jim

great news!!!  the question is are you going to do anything differnt for this build??

Also did HH stand behind thier product??? 

I hope to have mine up soon!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 AM
deuce77

No, HH has not gotten back to me yet but Spring is here and so I ordered one. The first thing I did when I opened the box was pull hard on the mounts. They seem secure and well glued in. I will simply add add harwood braces to any available spot on the mounts and epoxy them in place...possibly add a few screws also. This build should go faster than my first one as I know what I am going to do. Unfortunately, I have another plane to get in the air ASAP before I can do much to this one.

BTW, if HH does not want my old plane back I will mail you the other washers from the ailerons.

Jim
Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 AM
TruBlu02

I have been looking at this plane off and on, as I flew them when I went through pilot training. I have been wanting to use a DLE-20 in a model and am curious if anyone has tried it?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 AM
deuce77

TruBlu,
I would think a DL 20 would fly this plane just fine, however, you may have some CG issues (nose heavy). But, by putting the batteries in the rear hatch near the tail it may work out. You could also use an ignition battery elimination circuit (from Troy Built) which would eliminate the ignition battery since it plugs directly into the Rx and runs off the Rx battery. I have used this in a 35% Aeroworks for over 100 flights with no glitches. The ignition probably uses only about 75mah per flight.

BTW, did you train at Laughlin AFB? If so, were you there April 04-March 07 as a student pilot. Just curious, as my son Shelby Robb was an IP there in the T-6 during that time period and you may have flown together.

Good luck with the plane. it really flies quite well, although a little heavy. Be sure to check/reinforce the aileron mounts if you build the plane.
And thanks for your service in the USAF!
Jim
Old 04-08-2011, 11:55 AM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Son of a gun !X@*&@!#^%&!!!
After my last tree mishap...swore I get this bird airborne again. I'm not sure how many hours I put into rebuilding my T-6A, but it was a-lot. I finally repaired everything but one of the wingtip nav lights. After work yesterday, I tested the engine and taxied for take of a few times up and down our paved runway. Like a phoenix, she rose again and man this plane looks and flies fantastically. She flew like a dream and really haulled booty with the 90 2 stroke 14x8, this time.
It only required 1 click of up trim and one or two of Lt or rt (I can't remember).
After about the 6th lap around the field consisting of various maneuvers to test her stability, I decided on a full throttle high speed pass at about 5' off the deck. This plane looks wicked and really gets attention as it looks like a more expensive plane. I pulled up and turned... At this point I noticed on the down wind, the plane kept losing altitude...I thought this strange and thought perhaps the elevator servo arm on my spectrum 821 digital servos had slipped a notch or something, So I compensated with about 5 clicks up trim (big warning sign), and really- should have brought her into land., I decided to do one more low pass and stupidly at full throttle again. This plane really moves out on straight and level from a shallow decent gained even more speed than the time before. Everyone commented on how stable at high speeds it was.
Again, Flying at about 5' feet off the deck she kept getting lower and lower ever so slightly, and it this point I gave it all the up trim, then full up elevator.
Flying logic tells me there 2 ways to climb: A).Throttle or B).Elevator C). a combination of A & B
I've exhausted my reserves of each and she doesn't seem to be climbing so I used a little rudder to point her off centerline of the pavement and maybe it'll impact on the grass which MIGHT help lessen the inevitable impact. I'd say she was moving about 100mph and now the prop could have been touching the ground. The plane had just passed the 1/2 way point of the runway and I'm not sure if it was a breeze or combination prop strike and slight rudder input, but the Lt wing dropped just enough to graze the grass which caused a hard momentary yaw and slightly upward trajectory. Within fractions of a second it was 100 yards from the end of the runway, and the newly acquired climb trajectory had apexed, so she was on her slow arc back down.
There is a very large wooded area about 250 yards in all directions from the edges of our runway.
I thought of inverting the plane to facilitate a negative G climb, but I had all of a few nano seconds of thought time; and by the time this seemed playable, I cut the throttle at the moment of the impending tree canopy. With the most spectacular sounds or breaking limbs, balsa and drum-tight monocoat giving way to the forces of physics, she disappeared at about 10' from the top of the mostly bare spring budding trees.
This plane is officially NOT rebuildble now. Literally every part of the airframe is broken in several places, pilots decapitated, also the muffler sheared from engine, LED's snapped from their frail wires, servo & electronics wires yanked and frayed. The retracts look good with the exception of the factory steering arm what broke off when the fuselage broke into several parts and separated on the way down through the trees.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM
jwjohnson

That's a huge bummer.  Sorry to hear that.  Probably too much damage to figure out what happened.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:04 PM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really can't figure it out...It's as though the elevator servo arm teeth slipped.
The CG was right on. I checked that elevator servo, and the teeth are good, & arm is still tight...It's just really odd.
And sad.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:12 PM
bob418

WOW  this is really sad news.  it seems odd that the plane was flying really well at hight speeds and then you had to add elevator to keep her level. 

I am hoping to get mine up soon, but will recheck the servo arm screws and linkages.

Again sorry for your loss!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:19 AM
deuce77

NoFlaps,
Bad news! Sorry to hear that. Any chance it could have been flutter on the elevator? Did you use the CA hinges included in the kit and are they still intact on the elevator? Did you seal the hinge gaps on the control surfaces which is supposed to reduce the chance of flutter? I have also heard that those JR 821 servos, which have all nylon gears, have a tendency to shed teeth and fail under stress (flutter). Just thinking of what could have caused this. Failure after a couple of high speed passes is suggestive that this may be the cause. Doesn't sound like much is left. So...are you going to start over? With my brief flight I too was very impressed at how well this thing flies and was looking forward to having it around for a while. I do have a new one sitting in my garage which I will get together sometime this Spring.
Jim
Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM
bob418

Still having the big spring stroms in Wisconsin, but the grass is green, so very soon will be able to take mine up for her first flight!!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 PM
jdeters79

deuce77,

I saw your pictures from the Hillsboro airshow and they brought back memories! I was in UPT at XL while your son was an IP (FAIP to be exact if I remember correctly!). Moreover, he was an IP in our sister flight, Dragons! I was in Coyotes flight, so the other half of our class was in Dragons. The "other" IP in the pictures was one who I flew with many times. Lt Granberry. Good guy! T-6A is a great airplane! The Seagull model looks like fun!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 PM
deuce77

jdeters,
Yes, Shelby was a FAIP at Laughlin AFB. He then spent three years in the F-15C at RAF Lakenheath UK. He is currently training to be a T-38 IP and will return to Laughlin for three more years. England was a great tour for him and a wonderful place for us to go visit. Del Rio pales a little in comparison, but flying is flying and there were no current F-15 slots available for him. Small world, thanks for posting.

The Seagull T-6A is a nice little plane although a little heavy, especially on electrics. On my first one the aileron mount was not glued in properly and the plane destroyed itself on the maiden flight. I have a new one to put together when I get a little time. I have sent the carcass of the destroyed plane back to Horizon in hopes they will replace it. They have done this before when there was an obvious construction failure so I have hopes.
Jim
Old 05-11-2011, 02:23 PM
deuce77

Not a lot of action on the thread lately, but I want to post for anyone reading this that Horizon Hobby has stepped up to the plate and is shipping me a new Texan II to replace the one I loss due to structural failure. Horizon is an impressive company who stands behind their products! Cheers for them!
Jim
Old 05-11-2011, 04:46 PM
bob418

Jim

this is great news, now you have 2 of them to build!!! Ihave to agree, Ihad an ESCfail (power to the motor, not the BEC) and plane came in dead stick. So Isent them the 40 amp ESC and they jsut sent me a note saying that they are sending me an ESC - so Ihave to echo your KUDOS to HH!

As far as my T-6 the field is looking good, we just rolled it so it is nice and flat, and the grass is up. HOWEVERthe winds have been averging 12-15 MPH so Iam waiting on a nicer day to take her up!

Ihope to have the "Troll" at the field - does the HDvideo for us! Ihope to get the first flight on tape here is an example of his work, and one of our guys with a small OOPS! http://www.youtube.com/user/TrollHDT...13/60hZ4yFE9DE

Also as Iam typing the UPSman stopped by and gave me a package with my new 40 amp ESC!! way to go HH!

Hopefully Iwill get mine up SOON!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:37 PM
deuce77

Oops, "No rudder is better than the wrong rudder". He better practive his torque rolls a few mistakes up!
Nice field! Is that where you fly Bob? We had corn circling our field one year and that stuff is hard on airframes if you misjudge a little. Now we have garlic which is much better.
Jim
Old 05-12-2011, 06:04 AM
bob418

Jim

That is my field, it is an actual airport, not used very often, but it is a landing strip (about 1500 feet!!!!). So we have a very long runway. We have corn and soybean fields that surround the field, but the flight stations are on a slight rise, so we can see over the corn! What a pain finding a down plane in the corn field - don't ask me how Iknow

If you ever come to WIsconsin for the EAA or Warbirds over Fond Du Lac (big RCwarbird weekend) let me know and Iwill take care of you!

Bob

Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 AM
p-80
My Feedback: (1)

Someone needs to try a ys 115 that way i can see how awesome it is and follow in there footsteps
Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 AM
deuce77

So Bob, it must be thawed out on your side of the world. Have you flown the Texan yet?

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.