Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM FW D-9

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 05:39 PM
deadstick79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kahloq
The 190 is still sitting nice in the basement. So is its little brother the 71" 190 that gets flown occasionally. I don't need to fly one specific plane every week since I have a good number to choose from. The DO-335 has flown more then once, but I even admitted I built it heavy and therefore it isn t something fun to fly. As such I don't bring it out often. I don't ANSWER to you, as much as you want to think otherwise. Not once have I ever claimed Im a kit builder, but that has nothing to do with flying the plane. Again, you sling insults...."get back to basics". You know absolutely nothing.
It makes no difference whether its a kit built plane or an arf. They are all planes with inherent strengths and weaknesses. Your inability to see anything as a plane except something from a plan built kit is pathetic. Most people DONT HAVE TIME to build from kit/plans and many don't WANT to. That doesn't make them bad people. You are trying to say they are. There are a lot of arfs out there better then some of the things you pride yourself on with most being less expensive then it costs to build something. I don't take away from those that build kits, but all you do is talk down to people that own arfs. Why the HELL are you even in this thread when its all about an ARF warbird? Seriously, go stick your stuck up nose in the kit built section.

What is it YOU cant comprehend, You continually proclaim I cant land a lightly loaded plane when you have no evidence of that at all. I have several lightly loaded planes, the Extra 300 a prime example. Again, you overlook FACTS to trump up your ridiculous attempts to demean me. Another lightly loaded plane is the HE-111 I have and yes....its been flying for years. I bring it out every now and then.
Oh..and here ya go....another lightly loaded plane...a H9 20cc Tigermoth. And you say I fly only overweight warbirds with some weird ego attached? Really? Again....you show your complete lack of knowledge about me and then go on to profess garbage.....that is astounding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdXQ6NT0LVo

Go back to hermit life, because that is what it seems your good at. You cant even dish crap about me without lying.
Sweet lookin Moth my friend! Glad you talked me into a smaller motor for the D VII
I'm clearing the shop to put the D VII together. Just made a stand for the Dora fuse and wing with some 1-1/2 pvc. Am awaiting the blue robart valve which is coming on Monday and she'll be ready to go!
Man, I wish I had the runway you guys have! I have about half of that! Wait til ya'all see the video of my maiden! You'll crap nickels when you see what I deal with!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:49 PM
deadstick79

Hi Dan,

Congrats on getting real close to maiden. Glad you got the tail wheel linkage sorted out on the ground before a landing attempt.

As for the flaps....30mm flap travel is a good starting to point. You may wish to adjust the flap travel to a bit more or less after you have flown the plane and seen how she reacts at that setting. When looking at mine in full flap position, it would be visually real close to 45 degrees.

Are you going to use air line restrictors or the wheel collar idea mentioned by Thunder?
Yeah, I'll try the 30mm and see! I did use a wheel collar on the up and put it about an inch and a half away from where the air line connects to the cylinder and the up is sweet! It acutually slowed the down a tad and I'm going to leave the down alone for now as I know they will come down
Old 01-31-2014, 06:58 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ticketec
I always like that in the end, they kiss and make up, and it's all good again....
Fat chance of that!!! VG is no where close to my type at all. Not a fan of scruffy looking nerf herders lol(star wars reference)

I out of all the guys here I probably have the most flying time with the ESM Dora, and I use plenty of flap.
Most definitely agree!

As Ram and I have said many times on this forum already. wheel it on for your landings.
100% Thank you !!!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:31 PM
kahloq

Originally Posted by deadstick79
Sweet lookin Moth my friend! Glad you talked me into a smaller motor for the D VII
I'm clearing the shop to put the D VII together.
Here's another plane you might like too. Custom painted as well. Video taken was a couple months ago in Oct '13. Really nice flying plane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_IK-zdyzGU

This one here is a another "successful project".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_NpzgFnlzg
I was asked to do the video by a vendor shop in California to test high altitude performance of a new high blade edf rotor. He sent me the rotor/housing unit free as nice compensation. I have gotten asked on a semi regular occasion by various places to do builds and such. Hobbyking had me do 4 different reviews the year before....they sent me the planes and parts/servos, etc free to do them.
One of them was a 60 size P-51. After the review was done, I gave it to a club friend for $20
Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Yeah, I'll try the 30mm and see! I did use a wheel collar on the up and put it about an inch and a half away from where the air line connects to the cylinder and the up is sweet! It acutually slowed the down a tad and I'm going to leave the down alone for now as I know they will come down
Glad the wheel collars helped
Make sure you to video the maiden!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 PM
thunder21
My Feedback: (2)

Dave is right on the money. With full flaps on this model I have to hold a bit of down elevator and have a good bit of power on to land smoothly. That's with no wheel covers, and I'm not sure if that adds or reduces drag. But he's 100% correct, the model flys so slow that most people simply can't believe it's still flying. Once I have a good rate of descent on the landing, I usually don't have to change the elevator deflection. I use bursts of throttle to extend the glide path and am able to set it down where I want pretty much every time on the mains and have very little bounce unless I try to bring it down too fast and hit hard.

With full flaps, you will need power, chopping the throttle will not provide good results.

Last edited by thunder21; 01-31-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by thunder21
Dave is right on the money. With full flaps on this model I have to hold a bit of down elevator and have a good bit of power on to land smoothly. That's with no wheel covers, and I'm not sure if that adds or reduces drag. But he's 100% correct, the model flys so slow that most people simply can't believe it's still flying. Once I have a good rate of descent on the landing, I usually don't have to change the elevator deflection. I use bursts of throttle to extend the glide path and am able to set it down where I want pretty much every time on the mains and have very little bounce unless I try to bring it down too fast and hit hard.

With full flaps, you will need power, chopping the throttle will not provide good results.
I'm not being a smart ass but I can't believe that you don't have a FLAP > ELEVATOR mix on your radio and ounce set up, U don't even notice the trim change. I use an Aurora 9 and all my big War Birds i use a 2 or 3 position switch and Flap to Elevator mixing along with Servo Slow and it looks so really realistic. Just an Idea but it takes a little programing time and a couple of flights to get right , But it's well worth the effort in the reduced work load and the way the flaps deploy with servo slow.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:46 AM
deadstick79

Here's another plane you might like too. Custom painted as well. Video taken was a couple months ago in Oct '13. Really nice flying plane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_IK-zdyzGU

This one here is a another "successful project".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_NpzgFnlzg
I was asked to do the video by a vendor shop in California to test high altitude performance of a new high blade edf rotor. He sent me the rotor/housing unit free as nice compensation. I have gotten asked on a semi regular occasion by various places to do builds and such. Hobbyking had me do 4 different reviews the year before....they sent me the planes and parts/servos, etc free to do them.
One of them was a 60 size P-51. After the review was done, I gave it to a club friend for $20
schweeet! You make jets look too easy I sure like the Dynams... lotta bang for the buck!
Here's my Hawko
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1016130251.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	1964291  
Old 02-01-2014, 07:43 AM
kahloq

Deadstick.....ive always liked the Hawk. Nice size plane. Club friend has one...great flier.
As far as jets go, I'm finishing up a 90mm F-18 super hornet I painted up in Australian 20th anniversary colors.....added afterburner effects also :-). Then, a Mig 15, twin 90mm Mig 29,and an F-4 70mm twin. Oh..lol...also an a-10 twin 70( 59" wingspan )
Old 02-01-2014, 09:58 AM
thunder21
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I'm not being a smart ass but I can't believe that you don't have a FLAP > ELEVATOR mix on your radio and ounce set up, U don't even notice the trim change. I use an Aurora 9 and all my big War Birds i use a 2 or 3 position switch and Flap to Elevator mixing along with Servo Slow and it looks so really realistic. Just an Idea but it takes a little programing time and a couple of flights to get right , But it's well worth the effort in the reduced work load and the way the flaps deploy with servo slow.
I enjoy the extra workload. I also don't use any mixes when I fly my 3D planes, either. Either way, the challenge of flying the model is what gives me enjoyment, not programming a radio.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:56 AM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by thunder21
I enjoy the extra workload. I also don't use any mixes when I fly my 3D planes, either. Either way, the challenge of flying the model is what gives me enjoyment, not programming a radio.
I second that! My expo comes by using my thumbs and forefinger on the sticks... more control with less tendency to over control AND all the throw is there all the time
Old 02-01-2014, 11:00 AM
deadstick79

schweeet! You make jets look too easy I sure like the Dynams... lotta bang for the buck!
Here's my Hawko
I did like the Waco's yellow but I just thought she'd look good as the P6e instead! Now she's a Whawko! 236 flights and lovin it!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Dowmer
My Feedback: (1)

Wow deadstick. That looks like one big! Beautiful Hawk.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:51 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Im the pretty one
I did not live in FoCo 11 years ago.

You got the pretty part right! lol
Old 02-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Lmao....
Old 02-02-2014, 06:53 AM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by Dowmer
Wow deadstick. That looks like one big! Beautiful Hawk.
Thanks Dowmer! The wingspan is only 50" but at that angle she looks HUGE!
Typical Dynam motor on zippy compact 4s3700's gets me an easy 11min. flight times
Dan
Old 02-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Dowmer

Has anyone installed the Sierra retract tail in this bird and have some good photos showing the installation? Specifically the steering cable install. Ramstein, you probably have! I'm installing mine and I'm trying to figure out e geometry for getting the steering cables to work right.

Whats the consensus on installing springs on the pull-pull steering to take up the tension or not, when in the retract position?

thanks,
Jason
Old 02-02-2014, 09:20 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Here's my Hawko
How do you get that thing out the door?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:18 AM
kahloq

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace

You got the pretty part right! lol
Awwwwww...thanks for the compliment Im still not kissing him though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!1
Old 02-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Dowmer

Originally Posted by Dowmer
Has anyone installed the Sierra retract tail in this bird and have some good photos showing the installation? Specifically the steering cable install. Ramstein, you probably have! I'm installing mine and I'm trying to figure out the geometry for getting the steering cables to work right.

Whats the consensus on installing springs on the pull-pull steering to take up the tension or not, when in the retract position?

thanks,
Jason
Anyone?
Old 02-03-2014, 04:02 PM
kahloq

I installed the sierra tail unit on mine. It required modifications and wood block standoffs....at least how I did it. The blind nuts in the bulkhead don't line up with the bolt holes on the sierra unit.....and....you need to space the sierra assembly away from that forward bulkhead just to get things lined up for the pull pull cables. I also had to put a sizeable wood block under the unit since the cylinder is a lot shorter then what the ESM tail unit was. The plane was designed to use the ESM unit which was very similar to the Sierra, but much longer.
I believe I posted pics earlier in the thread.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:09 PM
kahloq

Here's the pics Ive got.....there might be a few more stashed on my old desktop, but, not sure.
If you look at the first pic, you can clearly see black coiled springs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93611.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1965088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62478.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1965089  
Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Dowmer

Kahloq,
I did the same thing with wood built up for the appropriate standoff. My concern is the steering cables. How did you do it? Did you make new holes down low that would line up with the steering horn and as the retract would deploy it would pull the cables tight? I'd post a picture but I'm having camera trouble right now.

Jason
Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 PM
kahloq

Many of the guide tubes in my fuse where broken when I pulled it out of the box. I don't recall exactly what I did as its been awhile. More then likely, I used any holes already drilled in that bulkhead in front of the tail unit, but then again....I may have drilled new ones for the steering.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

I also installed the Sierra tail. I can open it up and take a few pictures so you can get an idea if you'd like Downer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.