Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM FW D-9

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 AM
deadstick79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kahloq...
Are you using your 6ch Dsi?
If so, are you mixing elevator with your flaps? What's a good start setting for the mix?
Thanks,
Dan
PS... In all the years i've been flying I have never used flaps so this is new to me! After I take this baby up, I'll trim her and immediately start to do landing passes til I see how she behaves!

Last edited by deadstick79; 01-29-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:37 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

These are great for keeping the air lines in place and tidy. http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/Tidystrip-Air-Hose Very important for the lines not to get pinched off by something. These keep them in their place.

On flaps, do not use any on take off. Mixing with elevator is not needed, but you could mix that out later if desired. It is good to do a gear check, trim pass before landing after dropping the gear and flaps. The gear tend to push the nose down, and the flaps will cause the nose to go up, so it may cancel itself out.

If it is windy, use less flap on landing, maybe even none. If it is dead calm, then full flap may be required. You will have to practice to see which handles best.

During your first flight, test your stall, so you can see how it handles and how slow it gets before it falls off. This is very important and will help you with your landings. Hopefully you will have enough battery to do these checks.

Good luck! And yes, pics and video. It seems for how big this thread is, and how many of these planes are out there, not many are flying.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:40 AM
thunder21
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by deadstick79
Thanks Troops!
Done and done! I sanded the varnish off the center of the prop and used the prop ring and the engine shaft to mark the holes and drilled them out on my son's cheap $60 dollar drill press early yesterday morning! Enlarged the holes using my trusty screw gun and it worked great! I can save the other prop too by rotating as suggested! By the way, I bought that cheapy drill press from my son for a box of 44mags
Are you guys balancing your spinners?
Kahloq.... do we even have to balance the SK Hobby spinners? Or do they come balanced?
Thanks again,
Dan
Ps... she's basically ready now! Balances beautifully with a tad nose-heavy! Just have to organize the million wires switches and air lines for ease of assembly and balance my props! I will try to get my son to video the maiden! I have all the plastic eye-candy glued on and the strut covers as well! Was going to leave them off til maidien but figured that with their angle compared to the strut, it should create some nice slow-down drag on landing!
Most definitely check the balance on the spinner. It's a pretty big chunk of rotating metal.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:58 AM
dgiatr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ramstein44
I've worked with those retracts before and from experience, I think you'd be happier with the simpler installation of the Sierra retract unit for this bird, Shindin gear for me worked best in kits due to the longer cylinder.
what do you mean by that Ramstein; getting shindin machine retracts i will have to cut a lot of wood;thank you in advance
Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 AM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
These are great for keeping the air lines in place and tidy. http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/Tidystrip-Air-Hose Very important for the lines not to get pinched off by something. These keep them in their place.

On flaps, do not use any on take off. Mixing with elevator is not needed, but you could mix that out later if desired. It is good to do a gear check, trim pass before landing after dropping the gear and flaps. The gear tend to push the nose down, and the flaps will cause the nose to go up, so it may cancel itself out.

If it is windy, use less flap on landing, maybe even none. If it is dead calm, then full flap may be required. You will have to practice to see which handles best.

During your first flight, test your stall, so you can see how it handles and how slow it gets before it falls off. This is very important and will help you with your landings. Hopefully you will have enough battery to do these checks.

Good luck! And yes, pics and video. It seems for how big this thread is, and how many of these planes are out there, not many are flying.
Thanks VG!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:42 AM
deadstick79

Interesting... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=waco
Old 01-30-2014, 11:41 AM
kahloq

Kahloq...
Are you using your 6ch Dsi?
If so, are you mixing elevator with your flaps? What's a good start setting for the mix?
Thanks,
Dan
PS... In all the years i've been flying I have never used flaps so this is new to me! After I take this baby up, I'll trim her and immediately start to do landing passes til I see how she behaves!
I do not own a 6ch Dsi. My 190 D9 is on my Jr 9303 9 ch radio.
I do not have any elevator to flap mix. The plane doesn't need it. Yes, check balance of the spinner, but mind required no messing with..it was fine.
You want this plane nose heavy or it will NOT stick to the runway when you land. The wing has a ton of lift relative to the weight of the plane. You will more then likely find out that you will NEED to use full flaps to land just to cause enough drag to slow it down......AND this includes windy conditions. If you don't use full flaps, you'll find the plane just keeps floating by. I mentioned many pages back that the first two times I tried to land, I had half flaps on...typical of what might have been used on any other plane I have with a small breeze. The several attempts I made caused me to have to go around as the plane just wouldn't slow down at all. And I mean with throttle at zero. Id cut the throttle completely after crossing the threshold of the runway after already slowing it down with throttle barely at 1/4 only to have the plane stay airborne the entire length of the 800ft runway. I then had to cut the throttle a good ways out on final approach.

With full flaps, I was able to cut the throttle as I crossed the threshold and get the plane to touch down in a reasonable space(200-300 feet) and then let it roll out. This plane will STAY flying at very low speeds, but it is visually deceiving because the plane is rather large and your thinking there's no way this plane can slow down that much without stalling. There is somewhat of a fine line. Get too slow, and you'll bounce the landings. Come in too fast, and you touch down and bounce right back up into the air. This is what full flaps helps cancel out. You want to main wheel land the plane and let the tail drop on its own. We've had this discussion already.....the consensus was....do NOT 3 point this plane. ....at least not until your very comfortable with it and even then the pro fliers like Rammstein basically said it works better to main wheel land.
Maybe once you've flown it some and your used to it, you may find a slightly different way works best for you.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:12 PM
vertical grimmace

Kahloq, have you ever seen Rammstein fly? Deadstick, I am sure you will find out what works best for you. Testing out your stall at higher altitude will help you get a feel for what the plane will do at slow speed and at what point the stall occurs. This is an important step in leaning a new plane that most seem to overlook.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

I don't know if he's seen me fly but be it that all I fly are FW190's, I would suggest that three pointers aren't your intentions until you've practiced basic two pointers with this plane. I can only three point my SIST successfully every time and that's because it's a little heavier being all composite and that's after a really good last second flair. I have numerous videos of them three pointing and bouncing a lot but prefer two pointers as I just want to get her down safely without extra risk.

Don't worry Vertical, I plan on being up at your field this spring to support my fellow Luftwaffe brothers..

Last edited by Ramstein44; 01-30-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:03 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by kahloq
I do not have any elevator to flap mix. The plane doesn't need it. Yes, check balance of the spinner, but mind required no messing with..it was fine.
You want this plane nose heavy or it will NOT stick to the runway when you land. The wing has a ton of lift relative to the weight of the plane. You will more then likely find out that you will NEED to use full flaps to land just to cause enough drag to slow it down......AND this includes windy conditions. If you don't use full flaps, you'll find the plane just keeps floating by. I mentioned many pages back that the first two times I tried to land, I had half flaps on...typical of what might have been used on any other plane I have with a small breeze. The several attempts I made caused me to have to go around as the plane just wouldn't slow down at all. And I mean with throttle at zero. Id cut the throttle completely after crossing the threshold of the runway after already slowing it down with throttle barely at 1/4 only to have the plane stay airborne the entire length of the 800ft runway. I then had to cut the throttle a good ways out on final approach.

With full flaps, I was able to cut the throttle as I crossed the threshold and get the plane to touch down in a reasonable space(200-300 feet) and then let it roll out. This plane will STAY flying at very low speeds, but it is visually deceiving because the plane is rather large and your thinking there's no way this plane can slow down that much without stalling. There is somewhat of a fine line. Get too slow, and you'll bounce the landings. Come in too fast, and you touch down and bounce right back up into the air. This is what full flaps helps cancel out. You want to main wheel land the plane and let the tail drop on its own. We've had this discussion already.....the consensus was....do NOT 3 point this plane. ....at least not until your very comfortable with it and even then the pro fliers like Rammstein basically said it works better to main wheel land.
Maybe once you've flown it some and your used to it, you may find a slightly different way works best for you.

I would recommend that Deadstick take advice from someone that can actually, consistently be proficient with ground handling. Being that YOU have never had a succesful landing with this plane, I would not take your comments seriously. whether you 3 point or not, you have to get the speed/energy out of this plane to get it to stall properly.

The biggest problem you have with bad landings, and the inabilty to fly a right hand pattern, is that your ego is too big to be seen flying anything other than a warbird. You need to get back into a high performance sport plane and practice landings, and learn how to fly on the wing. Instead of powering overweight pigs to the runway under power.

This FW 190 D is a perfect storm with pilots with a lack of landing experience, as you have to stall the aircraft just right. The new Top Flite 190A is the same way.

Do not make comparisons about me or of my experiences as for one you have no idea what they are, nor could you even think to carry my water. I have been a competition pilot since 1990 and a flight instructor with the club for 10 years. Regardless of what you want to believe, I know what I am talking about. If anyone in these forums were to see how you perform at the field, they would get a completely different impression than what you convey here.

I am just trying to help Deadstick to be succesfull. It is unfortunate that you want to undermine that, by trying to counter anything I say. Especially considering you complete lack of success with your own projects.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:38 PM
kahloq

VG you're a complete buffoon. You are the one with the ego. You outright LIE. I have stated already I have successfully landed the D9 and ive stated this more then once. So shut up and sit down.
I don't just fly warbirds and that's another LIE your trying to propagate. Everything Ive said to Deadstick was confirmed by Rammstein. Yes, I have seen him fly. So again, shut your damn trap! I don't need to overpower a plane..nor do I do so regularly. There is also such a thing as a throttle stick. .

This plane is NOT something you have to stall to land. Jesus, listen to those that HAVE 190's like Rammstein. YOU DO NOT have anything remotely close except a 60 size PICA kit with unscale length landing gear, NO advise you keep trying to give is worth squat since you yourself have zero experience with a scale 190.

You are the only one undermining Deadstick success. Not me. Ive given him first hand accounts on how the plane flies and relative weights that are normal for this particular plane...gas or electric which were supported by Rammstein. So again. shut up.

I don't need to acquire high performance planes as I have plenty. I have also ADMITTED I am more comfortable with left hand approaches, so how the F is that egotistical? Huh? Again...shut the F up. Your running your mouth just to be heard. Ive also stated I practice right hand approaches with stuff like my Seagull 30cc Extra 300...that's by far not a warbird. I have never crashed a plane trying to land it from the right...and ive done it quite a number of times. Hell your hardly EVER at the field so how the hell would you know anything about my flights.

And what would it be that people would see if they saw me fly? Huh? A take off...several pattern laps, some loops/rolls and a landing. Your suggestion of anything else is SLANDER!! Have I ever crashed a plane? Yes. So has everyone. Have I had dead sticks? Yes..so has everyone. Did I have a 50cc spitfire meet its end in 2013? Yes I did.....structural failure. You see...Im not the one blowing smoke up peoples ass like you are.
Your 10 years of competition is meaningless relative to giant scale warbirds...which this fw-190d9 IS. Just cuz your an instructor, doesn't mean you know warbirds well. Teaching someone to fly a Piper Cub or trainer is a far cry from flying heavy metal warbirds which you OWN ZERO. You have NONE. You do have a 50cc foam core super light weight non scale Mig 3. Have you crashed it? Yes. Oh....and yeah....did you forget? You got a smoking hole award for your "prized" 1/4 scale balsa USA DR-1. Oh wait...yup..thats a crash. Wasn't your fault though....and the crash I incurred over the last year was not my fault either...aka the spitfire. Oh wait...I also did smash up an very old GWS foamy p-38 that I switched over to another radio. Hadnt flown it in so long, forget it needed high rate ailerons to fly.

Whatever your stupid beef is.....the only thing you keep doing is showing to everyone here how badly you cant accept other people NOT agreeing with your opinions.

You're all mouth...,that's it. Someone gives Deadstick real useable information that doesn't agree with your moronic stance and all you do is sling insults.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:45 PM
kahloq

Oh and yeah...how the hell am I overpowering heavy weight pigs and powering them to the runway when I explicitly stated to Deadstick I was cutting the throttle to ZERO before the runway threshold to get the D9 to slow down enough? YOU cant even comprehend written words correctly and then go making idiot comments that are easily shown to be false.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:52 PM
vertical grimmace

As long as you continue to compare yourself to others, you will remain mired in a lack of success. If that suits you fine. I never blame anyone for a problem that I have at the field with one of my planes. I own up to them.
If your ESM 190 is such a success, then why is it not flying? Why are most of your planes "One hit wonders"? DO 335? I crashed my Triplane after 9 years and tons of flights. Yes I crashed my Mig 3, and I fixed it and it is better than ever. You are seriously gonna try to bash my Mig 3 which was a complete scratch from plans build, when all you do is throw money at these trashy ARF's?! Get real. Your lack of patience clearly (why you can't build), is evidence in the shortcuts in your flight training, and the reason why you have such trouble with ground handling.

If it were not for the fact that you can pull these toys out of a box already built, you would have no Heavy metal Warbird. I do not pride myself in heavy planes anyway, which is most of those fly like crap. But knowing how to land a light airplane is where the skill is. Which you will never ac
quire until you get back to basics.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:17 PM
kahloq

The 190 is still sitting nice in the basement. So is its little brother the 71" 190 that gets flown occasionally. I don't need to fly one specific plane every week since I have a good number to choose from. The DO-335 has flown more then once, but I even admitted I built it heavy and therefore it isn t something fun to fly. As such I don't bring it out often. I don't ANSWER to you, as much as you want to think otherwise. Not once have I ever claimed Im a kit builder, but that has nothing to do with flying the plane. Again, you sling insults...."get back to basics". You know absolutely nothing.
It makes no difference whether its a kit built plane or an arf. They are all planes with inherent strengths and weaknesses. Your inability to see anything as a plane except something from a plan built kit is pathetic. Most people DONT HAVE TIME to build from kit/plans and many don't WANT to. That doesn't make them bad people. You are trying to say they are. There are a lot of arfs out there better then some of the things you pride yourself on with most being less expensive then it costs to build something. I don't take away from those that build kits, but all you do is talk down to people that own arfs. Why the HELL are you even in this thread when its all about an ARF warbird? Seriously, go stick your stuck up nose in the kit built section.

What is it YOU cant comprehend, You continually proclaim I cant land a lightly loaded plane when you have no evidence of that at all. I have several lightly loaded planes, the Extra 300 a prime example. Again, you overlook FACTS to trump up your ridiculous attempts to demean me. Another lightly loaded plane is the HE-111 I have and yes....its been flying for years. I bring it out every now and then.
Oh..and here ya go....another lightly loaded plane...a H9 20cc Tigermoth. And you say I fly only overweight warbirds with some weird ego attached? Really? Again....you show your complete lack of knowledge about me and then go on to profess garbage.....that is astounding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdXQ6NT0LVo

Go back to hermit life, because that is what it seems your good at. You cant even dish crap about me without lying.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:26 PM
thunder21

Hey, you two...

GET A ROOM!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:42 PM
vertical grimmace

In all of the years I have seen you fly, I have never see you practice flying in any capacity. Never gonna be able to land that FW 190 if you do not practice properly. There is a difference between owning or having a sport plane, and using it to your advantage. It does not matter whether it is a kit or ARF, the aerodynamics are the same. They need to be understood to be succesful.

You always bring up my Smoking hole award, as if that will hurt my feelings or something. I got that award, because my triplane had flown at every Warbirds over the Rockies event from the beginning. Back to the first year at Chatfield. It was one of Bonnie's favorite planes. Because it flew, a lot. And you know that. You fail to mention that I also received the best biplane award for my Fokker DVII at the Warbirds over the Rockies in 2009. Neither achievement could have ever been received by you, as you were too busy ground looping and breaking your H9 DVII, because of lack of experience, and a preoccupation playing with Barbie dolls in the pits and displaying airplanes that would never fly.
The destruction of your planes goes on and on. H9, Hellcat- with one of the most pathetic displays I have ever seen, blaming your radio and egging your son on to smash and destroy the remaining pieces of the plane in the pits. When all along you had the ailerons reversed. Poor setup and the blame game again on your ESM Stuka. Such a shame. One of my favorite planes. I can promise you my new Ziroli will fly fine. As experience and research has taught me how to set up, balance and properly fly a plane of this nature without having to blame something or someone else when it fails.
Thats great, you have a tiger moth, maybe now you can learn to fly on the wing, land properly, and get good approaches from a right hand pattern. Or don't, I do not care if you continue to smash up all of your planes. But giving bad advice justified through your lack of knowledge should cease. It does the hobby no good.

I am sure Ramm is a great pilot. We have sat and talked quite a bit and I look forward to flying with him. I am sure we will have a blast punching holes in the sky while you are in the pits either charging, blowing up ESC's, ground looping your take offs, or landing prematurely because of short battery flight times.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 PM
vertical grimmace

No worries, I am done. Oh, if only this forum knew the truth. Friggin' pathetic!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:50 PM
oliveDrab

No worries, I am done. Oh, if only this forum knew the truth. Friggin' pathetic!
You guyz are so much FUN!!! I'm gonna come to Colorado just to meet you two!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:25 PM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by kahloq

Thanks! The plans called for 30mm flap travel! Do you find that to be the case?
I taxied up and down my road and she's very impressive! tail wheel steering went limp and I thought a cable had broken! I taxied her back into the yard with short bursts and found the rudder to be very effective! turns out the cheap plastic sleeve broke back in the fuse causing the cable on the left to become too long Fixed that! The 50cc is really powerful.
She is only slightly nose heavy which is what I like! I ordered the blue Robart valve so once thats installed she'll be ready to maiden!
Dan
Old 01-31-2014, 09:18 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

If anyone is interested here is a pair of Robart Electric Retracts for the Top Flite Giant Scale FW-190

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=962226

Old 01-31-2014, 09:48 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

I love these exchanges between Kahloq and VG. It's like watching an old married couple bicker and insult each other. I've almost spit coffee all over my monitor three or four times!
Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 PM
kahloq

You're the pathetic one. I only wish the forum members actually DID know the truth about you. You're a sad ole goat with nothing better to do then TROLL an arf thread and then INSULT everyone in this thread that has the plane, wants it or owns an arf.....claiming "arfs are crap".

Everyone SEES right through you, moron.

You claim Ive smashed/damaged my H9 DVII. Well...why don't you actually state the truth bucko. On a RIGHT to left take off...one that you so claim I don't do, the saito 91 in it QUIT just after takeoff. So guess what happens then? Huh? Oh right, you wont report that part...always trying to blame ME for every damn thing wrong in your life. What you also decided not to report was I replaced that H9 DVII with another exact plane, except powered by electric. And guess what, yup...still flying today. Oh wait..isn't that yet another lightly loaded wing plane? Awwwwww and you thought you were actually trying to insult me yet again...except your retarded ass cant keep anything straight. Pathetic is your middle name buddy

The Hellcat, yeah it did crash....11years ago and not ONCE did I blame the radio. I immediately stated I had the ailerons reversed...newb mistake and I owned it...even made fun of myself and continue to occasionally about that. How is that anything but being honest? Huh? Seriously, your memory is getting bad.
The ESM stuka? Yes it did crash..8 years ago...and we've had this debate. You weren't there to see it....bad CG...but also may have been misaligned flaps or even something wrong with the saito 150 in it(or the fuel line setup..fuel tank placement which I also have mentioned several times regarding that plane). Ive never been a know it all on glow motors. I have acknowledged that and repeatedly have asked for assistance in the past from fellow club members. How is that egotistical???
Yet, again, you wont tell the truth. I really wish those here could see the real truth and not the garbage you keep slinging.
BTW, my BH Stuka is alive and well and flown several times...as are numerous other "projects" you keep claiming ive never had success with. Hmmm....ESM 109 saito 180 from way back in 2005...yup...still have it and intact and occasionally flies. Still have ESM 109 electrifc one as well and fly that often. H9 150 size P-51 with saito 220. Still have that in once piece and flew the hell out of it until BO stopped coming to the field. My very first plane....a kyosho fiberglass Corsair....yup still have it and never crashed it.
I could keep listing plane after plane out of the 40+ I own and fly that are intact in the basement, but no matter what is said, your immature brain will come up with yet another slew of assaultive insults without basis in fact.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:18 PM
kahloq

Thanks! The plans called for 30mm flap travel! Do you find that to be the case?
I taxied up and down my road and she's very impressive! tail wheel steering went limp and I thought a cable had broken! I taxied her back into the yard with short bursts and found the rudder to be very effective! turns out the cheap plastic sleeve broke back in the fuse causing the cable on the left to become too long Fixed that! The 50cc is really powerful.
She is only slightly nose heavy which is what I like! I ordered the blue Robart valve so once thats installed she'll be ready to maiden!
Dan
Hi Dan,

Congrats on getting real close to maiden. Glad you got the tail wheel linkage sorted out on the ground before a landing attempt.

As for the flaps....30mm flap travel is a good starting to point. You may wish to adjust the flap travel to a bit more or less after you have flown the plane and seen how she reacts at that setting. When looking at mine in full flap position, it would be visually real close to 45 degrees.

Are you going to use air line restrictors or the wheel collar idea mentioned by Thunder?
Old 01-31-2014, 04:18 PM
kahloq

Originally Posted by irocbsa
I love these exchanges between Kahloq and VG. It's like watching an old married couple bicker and insult each other. I've almost spit coffee all over my monitor three or four times!
Im the pretty one
Old 01-31-2014, 04:39 PM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I always like that in the end, they kiss and make up, and it's all good again....

Deadstick,

I'll take a punt here and say I out of all the guys here I probably have the most flying time with the ESM Dora, and I use plenty of flap. I'll try find a picture of how much I have, but failing that, I can attach the wing and deploy them in the garage and measure it for you.

You will be amazed just how slow this big girl can fly. I was out last weekend and put another 3 flights in with the dora and the peanut gallery once again, came up and told me know they couldn't believe how slow a model of this size and weight will fly at after I did a full flap slow flyby. it's slower than most .40 sized trainers!

As Ram and I have said many times on this forum already. wheel it on for your landings. Number 1 mistake is to try milk every ounce of excess speed on landings.Have a look at the couple of videos I have posted up and you will get an idea for landing speed. the gratton field video is a fast landing.

Thanks

dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.