Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Dealer ethics

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dealer ethics

One of the worst kit cutters/ designers I've personally ever delt with was with a company called innovative model products, aka IMP. I built one of their models which I purchased second hand and crashed it on maiden after two years of building. I bought another full wood kit from them paying about $800 for the kit. The quality of the wood was nice and the build was fast but the cowl was made of glass and plaster and was still wet when I got it. The design of the fuse in places had to be re-engineered to fit their plans/design. The cowl weighed as much as my labs doggy bowl and was very weak. I made several complaints to the company and I literally was cussed out, threatened to the point of me almost making a road trip out of it! I have a build on it on rcscailbuilders.. I've often heard that when it comes to kits the quality of a company product is based on the quanity of their product you see.. I've seen very few of their products.

If you talk bad about them.. Be prepared literally for a fight! And they'll never do business with you or anyone around you ( like you'd want to) don't get on their bad side as thy have a grudge that never seems to go away. A lot of the pro builders here refuse to do business with them.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:12 PM
tuskegee
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ramstein44 I know you LOVE the FW's and maybe the ME....So this JU-87 is for you.......... It's AWESOME

I got this from Tomas @ VQWARBIRDS. And each time I had a question about what would work with it, I got an e-mail, and one time he even called me. When I ordered this, he did not have it in stock, so what he did was to go to (call) another shop and had them send it to me. Now that is good service.
I just hope that he does not go the route as many of the others with high prices and little stock as to differance makers.

So many companies have the same product(ie.EMS,KMP) and so on. That is why you need to stand out....by lower shipping, better customer service or incentives.
Thanks Tomas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35539.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1675257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89164.jpg
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1675258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49766.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1675259  
Old 10-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Ramstein44

stuka...[:'(]! Lol. I'd be happy if they would just be honest with you.. BEFORE they get your money..trust me, if I had seen that VQ had the FW I wanted, he would have been first called. Even Arfpros which for me has given excellent service.

I see a Stuka in the future... But it will be a Ziroli plans kit.. Not an ARF. I have way too many ideas for it and want to start from the ground up!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

One of the worst kit cutters/ designers I've personally ever delt with was with a company called innovative model products, aka IMP. I built one of their models which I purchased second hand and crashed it on maiden after two years of building. I bought another full wood kit from them paying about $800 for the kit. The quality of the wood was nice and the build was fast but the cowl was made of glass and plaster and was still wet when I got it. The design of the fuse in places had to be re-engineered to fit their plans/design. The cowl weighed as much as my labs doggy bowl and was very weak. I made several complaints to the company and I literally was cussed out, threatened to the point of me almost making a road trip out of it! I have a build on it on rcscailbuilders.. I've often heard that when it comes to kits the quality of a company product is based on the quanity of their product you see.. I've seen very few of their products.

If you talk bad about them.. Be prepared literally for a fight! And they'll never do business with you or anyone around you ( like you'd want to) don't get on their bad side as thy have a grudge that never seems to go away. A lot of the pro builders here refuse to do business with them.

Yes it's often like that at some RC forums. If you write that you had a problem with a company so everyone has a heads up, there will always be someone to try to take what you wrote and take it apart to try to insult or embarrass. The moderaters in here even locked my forum because they didn't like what I wrote about Glenn Torrance and my bad dealings with him.

Glenn Torance himself came into my thread and admitted he was at fault, but still there were people who were not happy that I wrote about what happened. They acted like he was some kind of deity.

All I want to know as a consumer of RC aircraft, is to know who screws who or what happens by whom in these threads. To me I work hard for every dollar I earn and in this tough economy I don't want my money messed with by dishonest hobby sites.

I like ESM and KMP Warbirds, I have my eye on the Fw-190 and 109 right now. Hey tuskegee, your Stuka is craving a painted nose cone!

Pete
Old 10-16-2011, 05:22 PM
vallawyer

ORIGINAL: Oberst

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

Yes it's often like that at some RC forums. If you write that you had a problem with a company so everyone has a heads up, there will always be someone to try to take what you wrote and take it apart to try to insult or embarrass. The moderaters in here even locked my forum because they didn't like what I wrote about Glenn Torrance and my bad dealings with him.

Glenn Torance himself came into my thread and admitted he was at fault, but still there were people who were not happy that I wrote about what happened. They acted like he was some kind of deity.

All I want to know as a consumer of RC aircraft, is to know who screws who or what happens by whom in these threads. To me I work hard for every dollar I earn and in this tough economy I don't want my money messed with by dishonest hobby sites.

I like ESM and KMP Warbirds, I have my eye on the Fw-190 and 109 right now. Hey tuskegee, your Stuka is craving a painted nose cone!

Pete
The moderation here varies like the wind blows, some people you can talk bad about all you want, others you can't say a thing, some people you can post all day about that company, others, they will remove your post. Icannot figure it out, but it is sure not straight. One moderator PMed me a hate mail about a certain company, and that same moderator removed many posts about that company. It's not right.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:25 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ram, too bad to hear about IMP. I had considered using them, but never did. Their TA 152 kit is really expensive. Could you post a link to your RCS build or mention which one it was?

Oberst, I remember your thread. I think you may have caught GTM at a bad time. He had cancelled his 1/4 scale line right around that time of your order. The thing about GTM is that his products are wonderful and nobody offers anything like what he does. My dealings with GTM have been excellent. I think all vendors are capable of screwing up, it is how they handle the situation. That was good of Glenn to get in the forum and admit he screwed up. You did get your items right? Wasnt it a cowling or something? Really sucks, I just piled one of those DR1 cowling into the ground. It was destroyed.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Ramstein44

That's crazy that they world protect him even after he admitted guilt!

Her you go Vertical. I'm sure you know but for those that don't, you have to be a member to view forums..
In the beginning of the add, IMP assisted, once I made a complaint, they brought out their gloves and it was on! Super defensive over their product even when the design was proven to be flawed.

I forgot to mention, the site support team loves IMP and after a few remarks, they decided to screen what was said, the fights and removed them. Read the whole thing, you can see where the comment from IMP ended, that where it started and both parties comments were removed. At that time IMP was a supporter and vender of RCscail.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...?TID=9017&PN=1
Old 10-16-2011, 05:59 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Why do people keep going back to those that screw them over and over? If the companies that continue to screw buyers remain in business maybe the buyers need to mention the names to the rest of the modeling world so the boycots may begin.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Ramstein44

That's what this forum is about. Putting the names of those companies/venders out there and explaining the situation to the rest of, preventing others from getting" setup"..(not the word I wanted to use)
Old 10-16-2011, 06:14 PM
tuskegee

check out this issue. we can't get on the dealer for this but when we tell them about it we hope that they will look at what they have in stock and or tell the maker about there product. The unit is now 97% done. Do we try to send it back or request a new one...... I build so I did repair it. But WOW. We sometimes want to set aside building for a short moment and we end up with building the ARF's. Hey, Oberst. you don't like that silver nose..I will be painting it soon. I just got some Klass Kote, when I went up to Warbirds Over The Rockies.

I got a plane from KMPpreordered and had an issue like that, and when I called him/them about ithe said that he was on his way to China that week (general bussiness to the factory), and he would tell them about it...okay, but never did try to replace, call me or whatever..I repaired it but I guess........Here are two same but differant issues one before the build the other after 97%......The Photo Is Not Uploading I will close this and try to upload them in a moment.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:29 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I do not go back to bad vendors and I am sure to tell people about my experiences. This was my first PCK kit. It is my last. Everyone else can take your chances with them. I see a possible large market for a quality laser cutter. With all of the kits going away. Maybe a business opportunity?
I will check it out Ram. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:30 PM
tuskegee

Okay lets see. Good here they are. Even the plywood base was not glued in place. That is just one of many issues in this unit. but who do we get on for that.....DEALWITHIT.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81166.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1675314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53071.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1675315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93247.jpg
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1675316  
Old 10-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Ramstein44

Would it be easier to post the name of the vender prior to you statement and in bold so it can be viewed faster?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use any credit card, never Paypal. If you have the money in the bank to use Paypal you have the money to pay your credit card bill. There's no interest on any bill where the balance is paid off by the due date. Plus you gain a little positive credit exposure when you pay off your card on time. Not so with Paypal. With a credit card you have protections you will never have with Paypal. Face the facts. Paypal/Ebay is in it for the money and their stated policies do little to reassure or protect the buyer. Only the money broker.

Paypal has quite a history of sticking it to their users. How long does it take them to learn?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:48 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I think a lot of the complains here are due to the evolving of this hobby.

You see, some of us who started up building from short kits see it differently.

We are used to collecting parts. A cowling here, a gear there. A canopy. The balsa and stick parts.

It could take a year. While we were reading about the plane. Collecting books.

It was a process.

And hurray if someone was making a gear. I remember how glad I was when I discovered Sierra gear for Focke Wulfs.

There was actually someone out there making this wonderful unit!

And then came the ARFs.

Suddenly a lot of people demanding gear,engines and spinners instantly.

Without any waiting. Like for any other product.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Tired Old Man

Go back to post #1 and note the conversation and chronology. If a site states "in stock" and/or accepts money for an order that should mean shipped within a reasonable (<week) period of time. Otherwise you are making an interest free loan, gift in some cases, to the company, which was not your intent.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:31 PM
kwik

Yes, I've read the whole thing. I shop regurarly on the web, on a weekly basis, more or less.

I have never been treated badly by anyone to be quite honest!

But yes, I have seen that some charge me when I order instead of when they ship.

I guess it is better for them, because your account might be empty when shipping-time arrives.

But it has never happened to me yet that I didnt get what I ordered.

I order mainly from the same sources repeatedly. I try to order from those that show the stock in their webshop.
But not all companies can afford web-shop software with automatic stock keeping via bar-codes, me thinks.
Especially those who run a small bussiness "on the side".

Tower has served me well, for example. And many others. Hobbyking too.

Regarding gear; Somethimes it might be smart to order the gear via some webshop.

I ordered my Sierra Typhoon gear from BelAir. Focke Wulf gear; Might be smart to order from FighterAces for UK folks.

Same with Robart; They refused to ship outside the US to people "in private". The local hobbyshop is hopeless regarding Robart.
I order Robart from different webshops. Like for my 50cc ESM Corsair; From Tower.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:25 AM
Tired Old Man

Then you have been lucky. As one who ordered an $80.00 carbon spinner from a manufacturer a few years ago, paid in advance of delivery, that never delivered, I can assure you that some vendors will take your money and close up shop. You're out the money, they have it, and there's nothing you can do about it except pay another vendor a second time to obtain what you wanted or needed.

It's called theft in most languages.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:59 AM
kwik

Yes, that is theft, for sure!

Maybe I have been lucky. Never experienced that.

But yes, at times it has taken some time to get what I ordered.

The usual vendors, like Proctor, Vailly, Sierra, Belair, FighterAces, Tower, Holman, Als Hobby,
HobbyKing, Advantage Hobby,Krumscheid, Modelfixings, Nelson, Platt, and more, have all been very nice to me.

I am glad they exist, so I can get my favourite planes and equipment.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Ramstein44

ORIGINAL: kwik

Yes, I've read the whole thing. I shop regurarly on the web, on a weekly basis, more or less.

I have never been treated badly by anyone to be quite honest!

But yes, I have seen that some charge me when I order instead of when they ship.

I guess it is better for them, because your account might be empty when shipping-time arrives.

But it has never happened to me yet that I didnt get what I ordered.

I order mainly from the same sources repeatedly. I try to order from those that show the stock in their webshop.
But not all companies can afford web-shop software with automatic stock keeping via bar-codes, me thinks.
Especially those who run a small bussiness ''on the side''.

Tower has served me well, for example. And many others. Hobbyking too.

Regarding gear; Somethimes it might be smart to order the gear via some webshop.

I ordered my Sierra Typhoon gear from BelAir. Focke Wulf gear; Might be smart to order from FighterAces for UK folks.

Same with Robart; They refused to ship outside the US to people ''in private''. The local hobbyshop is hopeless regarding Robart.
I order Robart from different webshops. Like for my 50cc ESM Corsair; From Tower.

When I ordered my item, it was through RCU.. When the it came down to the actual transaction, the Virginia Models called me so we're one on one! Thats the them telling me directly that; yes, the item is in stock.. Not some counter device on their internet site (once again, the item was bought on RCU). Deception! and now they've got my money which was instant.

It's one thing when you buy an item fully knowing that the item isn't in stock and you're reserving it, it's another when you're told directly that the item is in stock all to find out they lied just to get your money up front.

I personally have a problem with these middle man, small business doing this on the side; that basicly state they're a supplier of an item when all they're doing is taking your money then buying the item(because they claim they can't afford the overhead or whatever) and making a little on the side then getting the item and shipping it out to you! If you're going to call your self a vender.. have the item in stock, in your possesion or at least let people know whats going on prior and give them a choice on if they want a hobby broker!

I understand that most companies aren't direct (manufacturers of the item) and have to order from China.. Thats one thing. but when they're ordering from another dealer...WRONG![:@] I CAN DO THIS MYSELF!

I'm a kit builder also and personally prefer it, but with time restraints and so on, I'm venturing into the ARF era with hopes like most to fly more! It's hard when you have venders/companies that create these kinds of frustrating complications as you spend so much time fighting them for you products or your money...

As for Gear: Lenny as ShindinMachine.com is awesome. His gear aren't sierra pretty but they work well and I've never had any problems with them or him. And his gear are seriously resonably prices and he guarrantees his work.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Ramstein44

I've done several transactions with Arfpros and reserved several. They don't take a dime from me until the item is ready to ship...And they call me to inform on when I'm being billed for an item, when it's shipping. Thats the way this should work unless noted by the vender!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:53 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What sort of ethics is it when your shipment $100+ worth of LiPos is declared to be $4.00 worth of toys?

I quit ordering from China when I noticed the fraudulent declaration on my last order. Don't like their ethics.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Ramstein44

China.... ethics....lol. Those two words don't go together. Make items cheaper so they can sell them cheaper and make a profit..that's all they care about. It's not quality or customer service. They have no ethics.. Its all about the numbers!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 AM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Lenny OF Shindin is for sure on the good to go list..Great guy to deal with.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Ram, too bad to hear about IMP. I had considered using them, but never did. Their TA 152 kit is really expensive. Could you post a link to your RCS build or mention which one it was?

Oberst, I remember your thread. I think you may have caught GTM at a bad time. He had cancelled his 1/4 scale line right around that time of your order. The thing about GTM is that his products are wonderful and nobody offers anything like what he does. My dealings with GTM have been excellent. I think all vendors are capable of screwing up, it is how they handle the situation. That was good of Glenn to get in the forum and admit he screwed up. You did get your items right? Wasnt it a cowling or something? Really sucks, I just piled one of those DR1 cowling into the ground. It was destroyed.

I think you might be right that I caught him in a bad time. I would have understood and kept my cool with him more if he communicated that to me when I made the order with him over the phone. He stated that he had what I needed in stock in a box ready to be shipped. I told him to take my money asap and ship it out because I needed the kit asap. I found out later that he didn't have it in the box ready for shipment, and he held on to my money for about 2 weeks and wrote he was returning my money. I just said, " keep the money and just ship it out, I need it. Can't you just ship it? You said you had it ready for me?"

That's OK, I deal with Mick Reeves or Proctors now and I will no longer deal with GT. It wasn't a cowl, it was a 1/4 scale Oberusel Kit that I needed at the time. Glenn Torrance still deals with the 1/4 scale on custom individual orders from what I hear. Glenn Torrance makes good scale kits and many of my friends are into his models. But for me, after what I went through with him he no longer exists in my business dealings.

Like I said, not one business out there has a perfect customer service record. I've always got fantastic service from Proctors, BUSA, Tower, Horizon, Hobbico and RedNeck R/C. But I'm sure that someone out there has had at least one problem with one of the businesses in the past and doesn't deal with them anymore. So I can understand why so many people love Glenn Torrance because he treated everyone else good. I just wasn't one of them. Maybe because I was buying a $50 small kit and wasn't buying a $800- $900 kit from him?

It's in the past now, lesson learned.

Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.