Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

My pet peeve in scale

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

My pet peeve in scale

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:39 PM
prop wash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My pet peeve in scale

My biggest peeve is going to a "War Bird Day" and "Rock n Roll music or "Rap" playing so loud you can't hear the planes or your caller,especially when 90% of the planes are WWI and WWII.[:'(]
Tom
Old 10-31-2011, 05:46 PM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hellcat56

DVS1
I'm with you
great attitude
Thank you
Old 10-31-2011, 05:47 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My bigges peeve is the absent pilot.. but ..

My real peeve is PET PEEVES!!! I think all the pet peeves should be set FREE!! Free to roam and become wild peeves where they could breed and be come a herd of peeves that we all could be proud of.. Now theres a thought!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:49 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Visualize world peeves!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:55 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

hmmm, feral peeves, I think you have invented a new concept ! hhahahah

I think the last rule I broke was the mufflers thru the cowl that look like walrus tusks ! that made me LOL !

I seldom get a expensive brand new motor and mufflers.. And on my Sopwith pup I had looked at the two pipes hanging out of the bottom of the cowl a BUNCH of times and thought " I should cut those down."
I just can't bring myself to cutting them ... it seems criminal.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:02 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Propworn

My pet peeve by far is watching newbie’s attempting to get into scale only to be discouraged by some who seem to take pride in pointing out things lacking in others efforts. I’m not saying that applies to anyone here I am saying this in general. I have seen this happen many times at the field and in competitions.

Here is a prime example that happened at a low key scale competition that I attended as a judge. There were modelers of all abilities. One young fellow I had encouraged to give scale competition a try had just finished a kit Mustang, Fit and finish were very good for his first attempt he purchased the kit and built it over the winter with the intent of entering his first competition. His retracts were commercial (not very scale), rivets were a little big and not the right style, control linkage and horns as per the kit instructions and not to scale. Most of all his documentation was very inadequate. He entered in an advanced class not knowing what was required. Several advanced modelers who were checking out the competition made some very unflattering remarks about his model and his chances in the competition. He looked at the other planes that he would be up against and decided scale might not be for him. He decided to pack up and go home. A very advanced scale competitor wandered by and asked about his plane. When he heard what had happened and the young man was giving up and leaving he brought him over and introduced him to me. I was Scale Chairman for MAAC at the time. We sat down with the young modeler and convinced him to try Stand Off Scale. There he met 2 others about his age and if I remember correctly he finished in the top half of the group. No he didn’t win or even place but he came back and told us he had a great time.

Be careful about criticism even constructive can take the wind out of someone’s sails if it is taken the wrong way.

Remember we all started out as newbie’s and if it weren’t for the helpful suggestions of those advanced scale modelers the learning curve might have discouraged many of us.

Dennis
+1

The warbirds or nothing crowd don't get that their "better than you attitude" drives people away from any form of scale modeling. Myself experienced this a number a years ago. Today I laugh at their weak building and flying skills.

Why is it that the AMA membership numbers keep declining year on year? Look in the mirror those of you that are too easy to criticize others attempts at building their dreams.

Bliksem
Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobH

Boo to your logic of not putting a pilot in the scale plane. Unless you are modeling a drone or pilotless plane then the logic doesn't work.. just my opinon.
Hey Bob, I got one that will really make "littlera" upset. I built a drone and put a pilot in it anyway!

I've said it many times but I will say it again. My biggest pet peeve is probably flat tail surfaces on an airplane that should have airfoiled tail feathers.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:15 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lied

my real pet peave is

pet peaves about pet peaves that are pet peaves
Bob H hit the nail on the head or peave as it is

still come back to NO PILOT
I can over look mufflers, glow engines , shody building, push rods hangin out- but there is something about a P-51 or triplane flying by with no one in the cockpit
Old 10-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

mine is Warbirds being flown as if they are pylon or 3D birds. For the most part being so grossly overloaded with engine capaity and then flown to the absolute maximum that engine will take the model

I like to see a warbird being flown as a warbird. study full size footage and note how graceful the turns and rolls are - and the relative spped!

Just my soapbx for the day . . . [:-]
Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 PM
BobH

Chad.. thank you, thank you, thank you!!
You have to admit that even though its a drone it still looks way gooder with a guy sitting in there.

There's a thread here about a beautiful corsair with no guy inside flying around. The plane is super but the illusion is lost.

I'm absolutely sure that there are less goofy people around than me. I get real anal when I build my planes. My family says.. too anal but hey.. thats me.

I've found that Most really good scale builders don't whine much about other people's planes. They understand that super scale, super detail isn't everybody's thing. And thats ok!

Ya know.. there are lots of people who can do lots of things better than others can.. maybe its just not plane building.. ya know.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: BobH

My bigges peeve is the absent pilot.. but ..

My real peeve is PET PEEVES!!! I think all the pet peeves should be set FREE!! Free to roam and become wild peeves where they could breed and be come a herd of peeves that we all could be proud of.. Now theres a thought!

Bob, mate you thinking now like an Aussie, careful hehe

are those peeves anyway related to lerts?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:25 PM
BobH

Peter, I'm not sure mate LOL.. lerts and peeves.. now there's a combination!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:32 PM
rcguy59

I think they're related to tuits. Round tuits are exceedingly rare, though. Most people never get a round tuit.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

I think they're related to tuits. Round tuits are exceedingly rare, though. Most people never get a round tuit.
they are somehow related to honeydo - in other words honey better not be a tuit!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My pet peeve in scale, is scale competition. Do you really think you are fooling someone into thinking that the model plane looks that real?

That's why women roll their eyes at you. And that's why there are no hot women in this hobby.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:01 PM
rcguy59

My Ex once threatened to cut me off. I reminded her that she could only cut me off if she knew where I was getting it. God, I love being single again!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

My Ex once threatened to cut me off. I reminded her that she could only cut me off if she knew where I was getting it. God, I love being single again!

I have gone through 2 wives, and two live ins. Tell you something? haha
Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 PM
rcguy59

Nothing I probably don't already know.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

how did I know you would say that. Besides singledom has many advantages [8D]
Old 10-31-2011, 08:01 PM
rcguy59

AMEN!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my pet peeve is the guy who says withe smugness, "Why did you do it that way, I woulda done it this way." as he walks back to his scale ugly stick....arf

The reason there aren't any hot chicks in the hobby is because of teh man in the mirroe!!!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:46 PM
rcguy59

That's not just in scale. Those *****h@les are all over this hobby!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 PM
saramos

My scale pet peeve is a P-51 Mustang with metal finished and rivet detailed wings! I even hate it when I see it done to full scale restorations like Macon Belle. P-51s had silver painted wings and the rivets were filled. There's still a lot of fastners that show, but not rivets.
Another is a Corsair with lots of rivets. While there are some rivets, the Corsair was primarliy spot welded. It can sometimes be hard to find where the spot welds are even after the paint has been media blasted.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

my pet peeve is pet hates made out to be a pet peeve when in fact they maybe just a pet!!

I'm bored, can you tell?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcguy5

A beautifully scaled airplane with a regular prop. I can't beleive how many times I see an incredible scale plane and I get turned off by the prop being used.

This. 10000 times this. I really don't care about scale detail all that much. I can live with the muffler hanging out of the cowl, I can live with exposed control horns, no pilot in it, bla-de-blah. These things don't bother me at all, they're there to make it fly, which I'm fine with. But if there's one thing that bugs me it's a wooden two-blade prop on a WW2 bird! WW2 fighters did not use wooden props, nor were they two blade. I know three and four blade props aren't the most common things out there but there's enough to fly these sorts of craft!

Also, retracts are a must on birds that had them in full scale, and I am somewhat annoyed about perfectly flyable aircraft that never take to the skies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.