Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

My pet peeve in scale

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

My pet peeve in scale

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:16 AM
deatonbt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My pet peeve in scale

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

Bob, mate you thinking now like an Aussie, careful hehe

are those peeves anyway related to lerts?

they are somehow related to honeydo - in other words honey better not be a tuit!!!
I had to look up "lert."

But honeydo. Hmmm... I know that one. I guess that there are things that there are shared by cultures the world over.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:01 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My pet peeve? People who build the model, then try to find the correct documentation to fit it. It just doesn't work that way. The correct way is to build to your documentation. I had a guy at Top Gun a couple of years ago with a really nice model. His documentation 3 views looked as if they had been drawn by a 10 year old kid. That turned a trophy contender into a back of the pack model.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 11-01-2011, 04:21 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BobH

My real peeve is PET PEEVES!!! I think all the pet peeves should be set FREE!! Free to roam and become wild peeves where they could breed and be come a herd of peeves that we all could be proud of.. Now theres a thought!

Wild Peeves! Now thats classic!
Old 11-01-2011, 04:24 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: deatonbt

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

Bob, mate you thinking now like an Aussie, careful hehe

are those peeves anyway related to lerts?

they are somehow related to honeydo - in other words honey better not be a tuit!!!
I had to look up ''lert.''

But honeydo. Hmmm... I know that one. I guess that there are things that there are shared by cultures the world over. [img][/img]

`

Got taught that one but Bob on my 47 thread
Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

My pet peeve is RCer's who think everyone has thousands of dollars to spend and should do everything their way. Come on people, this is supposed to be a few friends getting together to have a good time. Some have the money to spend on a 9 foot long jet with everything and some can only buy a foamie; but both should be able to enjoy each others' planes without *****ing about them.
+1

Amen! I thought this hobby was about choice, to each his own? What I can't stand is people complaining about other people's aircraft. Are you God or something? What gives you the authority to judge? What makes you better than a person who doesn't have a pilot in his plane, or has a non-retract system in his warbird? Someone said it right, Warbird is a warbird, not scale. If it was scale then this thread would be in the scale forum- not under in its own title.

My beef is anyone who puts down someone else's plane. It's this sort of arrogance that stinks in these forums. If you don't like someone else's plane for whatever reason, then keep it to yourself. No matter what we fly or how we build or assemble the plane, we are there to have fun and enjoy the hobby and make it grow; not be a whine*** that starts to paint a negative picture to newcomers who might be interested in joining this hobby.

But planes w/o pilots? Isn't that known as a Ghost Squadron?

Pete
Old 11-01-2011, 05:47 AM
v6goose

Great post Dennis... Thank you.

Goose

ORIGINAL: Propworn

My pet peeve by far is watching newbie’s attempting to get into scale only to be discouraged by some who seem to take pride in pointing out things lacking in others efforts. I’m not saying that applies to anyone here I am saying this in general. I have seen this happen many times at the field and in competitions.

Here is a prime example that happened at a low key scale competition that I attended as a judge. There were modelers of all abilities. One young fellow I had encouraged to give scale competition a try had just finished a kit Mustang, Fit and finish were very good for his first attempt he purchased the kit and built it over the winter with the intent of entering his first competition. His retracts were commercial (not very scale), rivets were a little big and not the right style, control linkage and horns as per the kit instructions and not to scale. Most of all his documentation was very inadequate. He entered in an advanced class not knowing what was required. Several advanced modelers who were checking out the competition made some very unflattering remarks about his model and his chances in the competition. He looked at the other planes that he would be up against and decided scale might not be for him. He decided to pack up and go home. A very advanced scale competitor wandered by and asked about his plane. When he heard what had happened and the young man was giving up and leaving he brought him over and introduced him to me. I was Scale Chairman for MAAC at the time. We sat down with the young modeler and convinced him to try Stand Off Scale. There he met 2 others about his age and if I remember correctly he finished in the top half of the group. No he didn’t win or even place but he came back and told us he had a great time.

Be careful about criticism even constructive can take the wind out of someone’s sails if it is taken the wrong way.

Remember we all started out as newbie’s and if it weren’t for the helpful suggestions of those advanced scale modelers the learning curve might have discouraged many of us.

Dennis
Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nicely said, cudos!! It is this kind of thinking that will expand the hobby.

My pet peeve by far is watching newbie’s attempting to get into scale only to be discouraged by some who seem to take pride in pointing out things lacking in others efforts. I’m not saying that applies to anyone here I am saying this in general. I have seen this happen many times at the field and in competitions.

Here is a prime example that happened at a low key scale competition that I attended as a judge. There were modelers of all abilities. One young fellow I had encouraged to give scale competition a try had just finished a kit Mustang, Fit and finish were very good for his first attempt he purchased the kit and built it over the winter with the intent of entering his first competition. His retracts were commercial (not very scale), rivets were a little big and not the right style, control linkage and horns as per the kit instructions and not to scale. Most of all his documentation was very inadequate. He entered in an advanced class not knowing what was required. Several advanced modelers who were checking out the competition made some very unflattering remarks about his model and his chances in the competition. He looked at the other planes that he would be up against and decided scale might not be for him. He decided to pack up and go home. A very advanced scale competitor wandered by and asked about his plane. When he heard what had happened and the young man was giving up and leaving he brought him over and introduced him to me. I was Scale Chairman for MAAC at the time. We sat down with the young modeler and convinced him to try Stand Off Scale. There he met 2 others about his age and if I remember correctly he finished in the top half of the group. No he didn’t win or even place but he came back and told us he had a great time.

Be careful about criticism even constructive can take the wind out of someone’s sails if it is taken the wrong way.

Remember we all started out as newbie’s and if it weren’t for the helpful suggestions of those advanced scale modelers the learning curve might have discouraged many of us.

Dennis
Old 11-01-2011, 06:21 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Dennis
Unfortunately I via a buddy had a similar negative experience near 20 years ago,,, I was at a scale contest just to watch and I ran into a buddy that flew at my field, he was there to enter the contest and before he even got through the gate there was a couple guys giving him a hard time. See he was a younger guy with long hair, the good 'ole boys that ran the contest instantly thought he was just a lowly weekend flyer coming to fly his POS plane, when in fact he had a very nice warbird to enter. Witnessing the snobbery of the organizers and some competitors that day I was turned off to the scale contest "click" and never bothered to enter or even attend another of their contests again.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:02 AM
OkieRCGuy

My biggest pet peeve has little to do with RCers.  Mine has to do with people who attend fly-ins and events and let their kids run wild. I have personally witnessed people letting small children jumping over planes while the parents think it's cute.  The owners of the planes quickly corralled the kids and diplomatically explained to the parents why they should control their children.  The parents took their kids and left the event amid a string of obscenities that would make a sailor blush  Yeah, they should be nominated as parents of the year!  Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Dennis
Unfortunately I via a buddy had a similar negative experience near 20 years ago,,, I was at a scale contest just to watch and I ran into a buddy that flew at my field, he was there to enter the contest and before he even got through the gate there was a couple guys giving him a hard time. See he was a younger guy with long hair, the good 'ole boys that ran the contest instantly thought he was just a lowly weekend flyer coming to fly his POS plane, when in fact he had a very nice warbird to enter. Witnessing the snobbery of the organizers and some competitors that day I was turned off to the scale contest ''click'' and never bothered to enter or even attend another of their contests again.

This kind of stuff is definitely my biggest pet peeve and is prevalent to the hobby as a whole. People need not wonder why more and more, there are only old guys at the flying field.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: A6Intruderman

My biggest pet peeve has little to do with RCers. Mine has to do with people who attend fly-ins and events and let their kids run wild. I have personally witnessed people letting small children jumping over planes while the parents think it's cute. The owners of the planes quickly corralled the kids and diplomatically explained to the parents why they should control their children. The parents took their kids and left the event amid a string of obscenities that would make a sailor blush Yeah, they should be nominated as parents of the year! Just my 2 cents worth.

Yup, been there seen that. Every now and then, you get the "responsible parent" that walks a youngster up and shows them your plane, from a safe distance and will not let them touch anything. Explain to the youngster what it is and how it works and some history if they can keep their attention long enough.

Guess my peeve has already been stated a few times. Not flying a warbird at scale speeds. I do understand that just because our birds are scaled down, doesnt mean the air molecules are. Therefore, you do have to fly faster some times just to keep airborne. But at least make an attempt

On my big planes, I try to use up as much runway as possible and gently lift off. Most of the time at half to three quarter power. I save the full power to get out of trouble LOL ...uh huh...some of you know what Im talking bout LOL. But a scale flying scale plane is a sight to see.

I may try hovering a warbird........when I get into helicopters I scared to give it a try. All I need is another aspect of this hobby that takes up the rest of my time and money LOL.

One last peeve and then Im peeved out. I dont do compitition any more, I just do scale meets to show off your work and fly and have fun. But when a guy shows up with a sport plane and has some military markings on it and the CD says sure, you can enter LOL. I just think thats over the line a little bit.

WBG
Old 11-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Like most of you I have been in this hobby a long time, 20 years, I'm 38. Seem the longer I'm in the hobby I get more set in my ways about what I like in a plane.
I fly at three different clubs here in California with large numbers of members, the one thing I don't see much of anymore is scale of any kind.

3D and Heli's greatly out number scale around here

So I save my "pet peeves" for my own planes... anytime I see a scale warbird, jet or something different I have to check it out and let the owner know I'm happpy to see it.
I don't care if it's missing a pilot, little wheels, flying 200 mph down the runway.... if it's scale I'm happy to see it.

I enjoy watching and flying all different types of planes, being 3D, Heli's, Scale.... what ever

We need to work hard to encorage new modelers to come out and fly and not care what they are flying or enjoy.... just that they are out there doing it ands having fun

So save your pet peeves for you own planes and let everyone have fun doing what they enjoy and not look down on any aspect of the hobby

I was down on FPV flight worried that it may hurt the hobby, but then it dawned on me... that's not what I enjoy but there are large numbers of folks that do enjoy it. So if there are rules to protect the hobby, like having a spotter and flying line of sight who am I to put down what they enjoy? We all need to work hard as a group to pull in more modelers and keep this hobby alive
Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 AM
balsabuff
My Feedback: (30)

A few, but not necessarily in order:
A beautifully excuited airplane with a pilot the color a cadaver, with giant eyeballs, lipstick and big black Breznev eye brows. All the effort to replicate the plane to the last detail, and a pilot that you would run from if he was full scale living guy.
Gigantic holes in the cowl to allow a huge chunk of engine to hang out in the breeze. I know sometimes it can't be avoided but never understood how a guy can count his rivits yet not be concerned about his engine hanging out ?
ARFs and even built-up models with the same old tired color and markings.
As listed before, the ear shattering hip hop music and clueless parents of little kids doing their gymnastics next to models that may have taken a year or two to build. Sometimes I can't even watch. 'buff
Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Oberst
Banned

Agree with the above - kids running wild drives me nuts too. I have a preschooler and I cringe when he just runs around the house and my planes are up and safe! We don't bring him to airshows at all - waiting until he is older and understands safety and not touching what is not his.

For the cadaver pilots, just send 'em to my wife - she does mine and they won't look like that - she used to do military miniatures. Anyone who has seen my builds has seen the pilots. She once painted 25 mm soldiers SQUINTING as they aimed.

Back on topic -what really peeves me are 3D or foamies flying in my space when I'm in pattern or trying to dogfight me. Look, I appreciate that you are flying. What you don't appreciate, with your teeny $20 foamie whatevertheheckitis is that I spent a lotta time and money on this here warbird and I don't need you invading my airspace with your antics.

Pete
Old 11-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: 378
This. 10000 times this. I really don't care about scale detail all that much. I can live with the muffler hanging out of the cowl, I can live with exposed control horns, no pilot in it, bla-de-blah. These things don't bother me at all, they're there to make it fly, which I'm fine with. But if there's one thing that bugs me it's a wooden two-blade prop on a WW2 bird! WW2 fighters did not use wooden props, nor were they two blade. I know three and four blade props aren't the most common things out there but there's enough to fly these sorts of craft!
My other pet peeve is people who think that flying with a scale propeller is simply a matter of unbolting the two blader and bolting on a three, four, or five blader! [X(]

I'm just joshing you 378 but, if it were that simple, everybody would be doing it. I'm afraid this is one of those cases where physics demands that practicality wins over scale 99.999% of the time.

PS - There are quite a few WW2 aircraft that flew with wooden propellers by the way.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:32 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

This. 10000 times this. I really don't care about scale detail all that much. I can live with the muffler hanging out of the cowl, I can live with exposed control horns, no pilot in it, bla-de-blah. These things don't bother me at all, they're there to make it fly, which I'm fine with. But if there's one thing that bugs me it's a wooden two-blade prop on a WW2 bird! WW2 fighters did not use wooden props, nor were they two blade. I know three and four blade props aren't the most common things out there but there's enough to fly these sorts of craft!
My other pet peeve is people who think that flying with a scale propeller is simply a matter of unbolting the two blader and bolting on a three, four, or five blader! [X(]

I'm just joshing you 378 but, if it were that simple, everybody would be doing it. I'm afraid this is one of those cases where physics demands that practicality wins over scale 99.999% of the time.

PS - There are quite a few WW2 aircraft that flew with wooden propellers by the way.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:23 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Spit Mk I had a wooden two blade fix pitch propeller.

You guys that get hurt feelings when reading here;

Please, have some humour? I am sure the thread-started just looks at this with humour;

Big grown ups that have feelings about scale details on radio controlled aeroplanes !

I must admit that I have them too. My pet peeve is when there is a big beautefully scaled warbird.....everything is
perfect !!! But....underneath the cowling two long WALRUS teeth sticks out!

Of course, I keep this feeling to myself........
Old 11-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Fili

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: Oberst

My pet peeve is RCer's who think everyone has thousands of dollars to spend and should do everything their way. Come on people, this is supposed to be a few friends getting together to have a good time. Some have the money to spend on a 9 foot long jet with everything and some can only buy a foamie; but both should be able to enjoy each others' planes without *****ing about them.
+1

Amen! I thought this hobby was about choice, to each his own? What I can't stand is people complaining about other people's aircraft. Are you God or something? What gives you the authority to judge? What makes you better than a person who doesn't have a pilot in his plane, or has a non-retract system in his warbird? Someone said it right, Warbird is a warbird, not scale. If it was scale then this thread would be in the scale forum- not under in its own title.

My beef is anyone who puts down someone else's plane. It's this sort of arrogance that stinks in these forums. If you don't like someone else's plane for whatever reason, then keep it to yourself. No matter what we fly or how we build or assemble the plane, we are there to have fun and enjoy the hobby and make it grow; not be a whine*** that starts to paint a negative picture to newcomers who might be interested in joining this hobby.

Pete

Well said Pete. Try to have fun people, get over yourselves.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: kwik
The Spit Mk I had a wooden two blade fix pitch propeller.
Spitfires also flew with 3, 4, and 5 blade propellers made of wood as well.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:45 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Everyone is going to have peeves and what they think they would do. Its all about having fun and taking pride in what you do. If someone builds a p-51 thats neon green and pink and loves to hover it thats fine with me as long as they are having fun. Some people need to relax and learn how to have fun in this hobby and not always take it so serious.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Chad Veich

I don't think anybody is getting too serious or wrapped up in their peeves on this thread. The original poster asked a question and some of us have responded with answers. It is OK to have an opinion around here right?
Old 11-01-2011, 03:16 PM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

In that case, the answer is simple. If you're running a setup that requires a prop that doesn't exist, use a composite two blade for actually flying it and a random, scale-sized three or four blade for display purposes. When it's turning the only thing that matters is the color, and most composite props are black.

Props aren't that hard to change out, few minutes tops.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:21 PM
pilotchute
My Feedback: (29)

Cowls chopped for engine fit.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

My pet peeve is RCer's who think everyone has thousands of dollars to spend and should do everything their way. Come on people, this is supposed to be a few friends gettting together to have a good time. Some have the money to spend on a 9 foot long ject with everything and some can only buy a foamie. But both should be able to enjoy each others' planes without *****ing about them.
One great big +1 AND........

People that fly RC Jets that have elevators that don't work like the real ones, and are only used for pitch, and not roll too.

It is possible to make the prop you want regardless of what are made by manufacturers regardless of what some say. Like the one on this 86" Top Flite P-40.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34222.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1681419  
Old 11-01-2011, 04:19 PM
rrragmanliam

ORIGINAL: dasquirrelisme

My pet peeve is people that build them so nice they dont fly them. Airplanes belong in the air and if they are not they are just models.
Couldn’t agree more! I went out to meet a new customer of mine at there business. While I’m cooling my heals in their reception area I look over, and in an office, is a stunning Thomas-Morse Scout. I finish my business and ask my contact if it would be all right to speak to the guy sitting in that office.

I go in the office and take a quick looksie at the plane and am very impressed. Authentic B9 Gnome dummy engine, authentic scale gear/wheels, authentic colors insignia etc. Theres servos, linkages to all the control surfaces and the head of a nicely concealed 90 size 2 stroke visible at the bottom of the cowling.

I introduce myself and commented on what a beautiful scale model it was and asked how does she fly? The guy told me he was sure it wasn’t a flying model, that his wife found it at an antiques shop, and thought he would like it for his office as a decoration. Dude didn’t even know what it was.

rrragman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.